Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
degreased the roof and started masking off.

i'll start sanding tonight and get it all prepped for tomorrow.

goal is to get the glass put back in by Saturday 2/4/12. If it rains at all then that could delay me because i cant work in humid conidtions, the epoxy would dry way too fast. as it is i have 25 minutes to work with each layer of epoxy. if it gets too hot or too humid, that time goes down very fast.

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyways, the initial sanding is done, S*** took forever even with an air powered grinder. had to get through clear coat, paint, primer and sealer. im going back tonight to do the detail sanding by hand, like on all the edges and stuff.

car is going to need another major detailing inside out :( all the metal shavings and paint dust is EVERYWHERE. i covered all the windows too but it still got all over the place.

·
★★★★
2,138 Posts
I would've sanded what I could on the roof with the front/rear glass still in. :)

Did you lay down a few practice pieces to make sure the resin color/weave wouldn't contrast with your hood/trunk?

This is going to be badass when complete!

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would've sanded what I could on the roof with the front/rear glass still in. :)

Did you lay down a few practice pieces to make sure the resin color/weave wouldn't contrast with your hood/trunk?

This is going to be badass when complete!

yea i realize i should have started sanding before i pulled the glass, lol. o well.

i did do a couple practice pieces and it looks pretty good. not 100% identical but very very close. im eventually going to have all the CF LIGHTLY sprayed with NHBP anyways so that will for sure even things out.

·
Coldspeed
488 Posts
Very nice man, this project looks like it'll be a good one. Definitely in for your updates. Car's looking great.

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
man, its been what... 4-5 days and the roof was already beginning to rust (while parked inside the garage at all times) just from the moisture in the air. came down to look at my roof this morning to see it looking brown. so i had to go buy a rust removing solution from home depot, cleaned off all the rust, and sprayed the roof with SEM Black Self Etching Primer/Sealer. Im going to use an alternative method to lay the CF down that was brought to my attention by Brad. had i known of that method before, i wouldnt have had to sand my roof down to metal in the first place, since it was already black. o'well.

anyways, i didnt get any pics of the rusted roof but here's a couple of me masking up the whole car and covering it, and the roof after it was painted black again. going to let the paint cure overnight and begin the laying the CF down tomorrow. tomorrow will be an exciting day :D

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was honestly busy all day training for a new job and then i came home to fix the rust issue so i didnt have a chance to do a test piece. but to tell you the truth, i probably wont do one, it cant be any worse than what i was going to initially do anyways. im probaly going to do the plan B method anyways, but if i have time in the morning tomorrow, i'll do a quick test piece to see how well the weave sticks to the edges of a piece of scrap metal when i apply epoxy to it. im sure it'll be TONS better than the method i was going to do. i have a buddy coming over tomorrow around noon to help me with the roof so i'll do the test piece in the early AM and it should be dry enough by noon to get a good idea of how everything works.

i need to get my car back on the road by monday (new job) so i dont have a lot of time left to try this and that. i just need to go with the flow. glass has to go back on saturday. so tomorrow will be all epoxy lay up all day, then cure overnight, then friday i'll be sanding till my arm falls off and then clear coat at night and wetsand saturday morning, saturday afternoon, glass goes back in. thats the plan anyways, we'll see how things go.

·
Brad
4,318 Posts
Yikes. It's really tough to do projects like these with such tight schedules, but props to you for trying to make it work anyways.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts