Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Weight Optimization
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of us who won't(can't) spend $$$ in OBD-ii scanners; there is an alternative to find out
about codes and that CHECK ENGINE light that is driving us crazy:
1) Go to Autozone and have them read your codes (it's free)
or
2) See the instructions below

WARNING!!!: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

HOW TO OBTAIN TROUBLE CODES MANUALLY (6Th Gen Accord - V6 & I4)
1) Find the Data Link Connector (DLC) located under the instrument panel in the driver's side.
2) Jump terminals 8 and 13 by connecting them with a wire/cable.

...............________
...._____|________|_____
.../|1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8|\
../.|================ |.\
./..|9.10.11.12.13.14.15.16|..\
/------------------------------------ \
DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC)

3) Turn the ignition key to ON and observe the "CHECK ENGINE" light. It will flash the trouble codes. For example: 2
long flashes, pause and then 3 short flashes = 23 = P0325 = Knock sensor circuit fault.
One short flash = 1. One long flash = 10. If there is no trouble codes, the light will not flash.

Flashes.....Code(s).........................................Description
1...............P0131,P0132................................Primary heated O2 sensor circuit low/high voltage
3...............P0107,P0108................................Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor circuit low/high voltage
4.............. P0335,P0336.................................Crankshaft position sensor
5.............. P1128,P1129.................................Map sensor circuit low/high voltage
6...............P0117,P0118................................Electronic Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit low/high input
7...............P0122,P0123,P1121,P1122...........Throttle position sensor (TPS) circuit low/high input
8...............P1359,P1361,P1362.....................CKP/TDC sensor 1
9...............P1381,P1382................................CYP Sensor
10.............P0112,P0113................................Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor circuit low/high input
12.............P1491,P1498................................EGR valve
13.............P1106,P1107,P1108.....................Barometric pressure sensor
14.............P0505,P1519.................................IAC valve
17.............P0500............................................VSS fault
20.............P1297,P1298.................................Electric Load Detector (ELD)
21.............P1253............................................VTEC
22.............P1257,P1258,P1259......................VTEC
23.............P0325............................................Knock sensor
41.............P0135,P1166,P1167......................Primary heated O2 sensor
45.............P0171,P0172.................................System adaptive fuel too lean/rich
48.............P1162............................................Primary heated O2 sensor
58.............P1366,P1367.................................TDC sensor 2
61.............P0133,P1149,P1163,64,65............Primary heated O2 sensor
63.............P0137,38,39...................................Secondary heated O2 sensor
65.............P0141.............................................Secondary heated O2 sensor
67.............P0420.............................................Catalyst system efficiency below threshold
70.............P0715,20,25,30,40,53,58,63..........Automatic transaxle malfunction
71.............P0300,P0301..................................Random/Cylinder 1 misfire
72.............P0302.............................................Cylinder 2 misfire
73.............P0303.............................................Cylinder 3 misfire
74.............P0304.............................................Cylinder 4 misfire
75.............P0305.............................................Cylinder 5 misfire
76.............P0306.............................................Cylinder 6 misfire
80.............P0401.............................................EGR insufficient flow
86.............P0116.............................................Electronic Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor range/performance
90.............P1456,P1457..................................EVAP control system leak
91.............P0452,P0453..................................EVAP fuel tank pressure sensor low/high input

The codes that will not flash are as follows (will need code scanner):
P1607-PCM internal circuit failure and
P1705,06,38,39,53,68,73,91-Automatic transaxle failure

HOW TO CLEAR TROUBLE CODES (after fixing problem)
1) Remove ignition key (OFF)
2) Locate fuse panel on passenger's side (open door)
2) Remove fuse no. 13 (7.5 amp) for 10 seconds, and then place it back in.

I hope this info helps you, as much as it helped me.
Enjoy!

·
Sifu
387 Posts
23.............P0325.............................. ..............Knock sensor

This is interesting, I was under the impression that our cars don't have a knock sensor (& that it is why they will not run properly on premium gas without a Unichip or similar controller.) It makes me wonder if that's not just a generic table that all their ECUs use, knock sensor or not.

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
^ The F23A4 has a knock sensor, so that code only applies to 4-banger Accords.

It's pretty lame that Honda put a knock sensor on the lowly F23A4, but not their premium engine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Will these only flash if you wire the 8 and 13? I started my car today and the CEL flashes a few times and goes away. It doesnt stay on it just goes away..Would this apply to flashing codes above because i have never connected the 8 and 13. I have after-market speedo if that does anything about the lights because my fuel light doesnt even come on. Should i be worried? Also it idles at around 1.5 and it slowly goes down to 1..not sure if that is normal idling. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
vizion22 said:
Will these only flash if you wire the 8 and 13? I started my car today and the CEL flashes a few times and goes away. It doesnt stay on it just goes away..Would this apply to flashing codes above because i have never connected the 8 and 13. I have after-market speedo if that does anything about the lights because my fuel light doesnt even come on. Should i be worried? Also it idles at around 1.5 and it slowly goes down to 1..not sure if that is normal idling. Thanks for you help.
Idle sounds normal depending on the temperature. Not sure about your CEL light though. Could be a pending code(s) :gotme: .

·
Registered
507 Posts
hmm...ic..usually my idle doesnt go up that high and the tempature would be like Cold because it flashes right when i turn on my car for the first time of the day. Thanks for your help. i dont like that light :(

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
v6 intruder said:
I can not find the Data Link Connector (DLC) can someone tell me where it is ?? thanks!
It's above the hood release leaver, right under the drivers side lower dash panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
vizion22 said:

:gotme: old post and probably pointless responding to, but i think youre confusing the CEL with the Maint Required light. this will come on at certain mileage intervals to remind you to take your car in for scheduled maintenance. it will eventually come on solid, which by now you already know. :gotme:

·
Got Heat?
295 Posts
should we reset the ECU after installing mods?

·
Sifu
387 Posts
accordheat said:
should we reset the ECU after installing mods?
Yes, but if you don't the car will learn on its own anyway as you drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My check engine light went on the other day... I used the above method to read the code and got 89 (8 long flashes and 9 short), but its not in the above list. Anybody know what code 89 is for?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
JUst wanted to add that if you remove the fuse 13 for like 1 second versus the 10-30 recommended your clock and trip computer will retain settings but the CE light will still be cleared.

·
Vrooooooommmmmmm
46 Posts
ok so i have a problem...my check engine light came on and everytime i drive now from a starting point, as soon as it goes to 4,000 rpms, the needle goes back and forth as if it was redlining...anyone know what this can be and if so how can it be fixed....please let me know becuz im seriously thinkin about gettin rid of my car if it is very expensive to fix...

·
Registered
1 Posts
what up pplz!

i got a 98 acoord v6, and i have a evap pending code(p1457) leak near canister. i hooked up a mac scan tool scanner to sacn my car of any present codes but found none, then i went under pending codes and found that i had a codes for evap system which is p1457 evap control(leak near canister). i checked all hoses for cracks, being loose, or if missing any hose, but everything is ok and nothing is missing. i also replaced evap bypass solenoid valve and canister purge solenoid valve, removed negative termnial on the battery to reset the pcm and clear that pending code which was gone, but when i started to drive my car after a couple of days the pending code came on again. what should i do next, replace the vent shut-off valve or canister its self. any suggestion would be appreciated!! some plz help me!! one

1 - 20 of 117 Posts