Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a set of super hyper medallion from a guy here on av6...went to the muffler shop and they recommended just chopping off my stock and putting the tanbe's on...good idea or bad?

·
cunning linguist
984 Posts
Did you just buy the muffler or a full cat-back?

If you just bought the mufflers thats a perfectly acceptable way of putting them on.

You will only gain the HP increase from the muffler backpressure reduction (instead of larger diamter piping and mandrel bends in the full cat-back) but you should still get a bit more power and better sound.

I would see how much they would charge to make a slightly larger rear Y section with mandrel bends and compare the $$ difference.

If you bought a cat-back and this is there installation reccomendation... Run to the next nearest muffler place!

·
call me simon
3,208 Posts
i bought a set of super hyper medallion from a guy here on av6...went to the muffler shop and they recommended just chopping off my stock and putting the tanbe's on...good idea or bad?
really?? they recommended you to just chop off your stocks and use your stock piping? haaha strange usually muffler shops want to sell you their piping. well using your stock piping is fine but they won't be as much gain since you're still using fairly restrictive piping. but if you're on a budget then thats fine. or if you're only doing it for looks then thats cool too

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was recommended to them by a co-worker...so they're not going to try to sell me stuff...more for look and sound....not racing anywhere so doesn't really matter.

·
hmmm what next?
2,785 Posts
like morepower4me said i would also do the y unless they want a million dollars for it but it should be under 150-200 you will; be much happier with it not to mention that the rust pipe doesnt look good at all.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
yeah the y-pipe is visible and looks nice when its all shiny under there.;).y-pipe and mufflers and just leave the mid-pipe if you just want sound and looks.

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
aftermarket mufflers with stock piping ftl.

the y pipe in the rear is so noticable on these 7th gens, i would spend the extra and go with at least custom piping from the y back, but then again if your going to go that far, might as well go custom all the way ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm i might consider the custom Y...i'm kinda working on a college budget...how much would be a decent price...the places around my area doesn't seem to offer mandrel bends....nor stainless steel

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
it has a deep deep rumble when you start up your car but once its warmed up like a minute or so its barely noticeable kid yah not.real deep.sometimes you forget its there when just riding but has a tone.
$385 well spent college is killing me to man.$27k a year excluding boos and stuff.blows.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'mma go with the custom Y pipping, the only question is...2.25 or 2.5 inches??? performance difference and sound difference???

·
Very Inspired
1,069 Posts
i dont see why he has to redo his piping, stock piping is good and already 2.5 except after the midmuffler. He could always chop that part off and go custom from there

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
i dont see why he has to redo his piping, stock piping is good and already 2.5 except after the midmuffler. He could always chop that part off and go custom from there
It would be a waste of money to use the stock restrictive ass piping, and than open it up in the end.. doesn't help in performance at all and will look like crap imo. Trust me, the stock exhaust is not a true 2.5" More like 2.25 to 1.75 after the Y.

·
Very Inspired
1,069 Posts
It would be a waste of money to use the stock restrictive ass piping, and than open it up in the end.. doesn't help in performance at all and will look like crap imo. Trust me, the stock exhaust is not a true 2.5" More like 2.25 to 1.75 after the Y.
2.25 is still not too bad lol maybe he wants backpressure? iono, whatever works for him

1 - 20 of 20 Posts