Accord V6 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
alt_brian said:
the 9 hp and 6 trq are at the top end, most of the gains are at the low end, pre-vtec. I had mine dynoed before and after, at 3400 rpm +16 hp and +24 trq, where our cars really need some help.
:eek: omg I had no idea the gains were tha much down low. I'm gonna get off my ass and install the cams I have sitting around. :D

like the other guy said, is that whp or crank hp? just wondering if the dyno you used was "corrected" in any way.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cams wont make a difference in engine sound, only in performance. With all my mods which i dont want to get into, and properly tuned vafc2 I gain 15whp and 24trq after tuning. You will lose your first gear though, just like many cars do after they get cammed, its just what happens, but after you hit 2nd its all power band. GL and enjoy

·
Registered
647 Posts
it just shifts from nuetral to second gear, and then d1 in locked down, soon as you shift into it it redlines.................................thats what he means

·
Registered
361 Posts
mike_d said:
it just shifts from nuetral to second gear, and then d1 in locked down, soon as you shift into it it redlines.................................thats what he means
lol not right at all man, i hope you were just kidding around . you still have all 4 gears, but typically when you cam a car you lose your first gears torque causing your launch to suck, but once you hit second gear your new power band takes over all the way up to fourth gear. :p

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I didn't notice that much power gains but it felt good. Install is the most expensive part. You have to wait a while for them to break in.

The best part about the cams that I noticed was right before VTEC you can feel the car starting to reel you into the VTEC powerband :D Its almost begging you.

Not sur eabout the loss of torque, did not notice that. Usually cammed motors would lose low end because they have one set of cam lobes for each rocker arm and so when the lobes get bigger they get better for high end and not low (but it all depends). That really applies more to cars that have no variable valve technology especially cam lobe changing.

Make sure you get them adjusted properly. A cat-back will take away the torque you gained at low end however, that my experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all you need is the cams, i suggest a valve job in the process, and as far as the 100k mile thing, actually i think its like 105 or 110 for teh v6s, thats when you would want to change the timing belt and water pump, thats the right pump right? i think so, basically you only have to do the cams with nothing else if you dont have that much cash, but i would pay the extra however much for the valve work, as far as the timing bel, i wouldnt worry about that until around or right after 100k, unless you just have the money or have highmiles already

i know on mine i did it with the valve work only, but i wont have my car once the tranny waranty runs out. hope that helps.
(question) i have 158k should i switch timing, water pump

21 - 29 of 29 Posts