Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched up and down the forums for the ideal drop that won't sacrifice too much comfort. I know that lowering a car will result in a loss of ride comfort, but the gains in handling and looks usually make up for the loss.

I decided to go with the Prokit springs and Koni shocks back in January. I had the shop that installed them put the front on the lowest perch while leaving the rear on the center perch.

Now that I've been driving it for a while, I just can't seem to see how people find this drop close to the comfort of stock -- it's really bouncy to me and the bumps are pretty rough.

I've tried a wide variety of stiffness settings in the front and back, but they don't seem to make much difference. Here are my questions:

1) What is a good setting for these things? Really stiff, or really soft, or somewhere in between?

2) Could the ride comfort be due to the front being on the lowest perch?

3) Would the HFP solution be more comfortable?

There are some days where I just love the aggressive ride, but on other days where I just want a chill drive to work, it gets to be pretty annoying. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm getting the HFP suspension myself. From what I've heard, the HFP is probably the closest to stock. The drop will look even, but it will still ride comfortably. From what I've seen, it seems like the sedans have a more even drop than the coupes possibly due to the added weight.

·
Registered
259 Posts
'm on the supercup kit, and neuspeed recommends 3/4 turn from softest all around for their springs on sp3 koni yellows . what is yours setup at? i thought mine was a bit stiffer than stock but i didn't notice any major bounciness to my ride.

as for the lowest perch, it shouldn't make a difference as koni wouldn' make a product that will compromise dampening in any of their ride height settings.

·
Registered
259 Posts
oh, and HFP's imo do not have an even drop, the front still hangs a lil bit higher than the back. i think honda designs this way for additional clearance for the front.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
^^
Yup!

My neighbor has the HFP kit, i must say, i can barely tell that it's dropped. ANd for the price, I would have gotten something better that's aftermarket.

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had it at 3/4 of a turn front and back, but now I set it to 1/4 of a turn in the front and full soft in the back. It feels alright, but definitely could be better. Perhaps I should start from there and gradually stiffen it.

On another note, I broke one of the tiny clips on the very edge of that plastic that covers the rear shocks. Anyone else break those clips?

Also, how do you guys manage to adjust the rears? It's such a pain with the huge knob Koni gives you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was going to get the HFP kit. Ganley Hondas website says it drops it an inch all around...that would be good enough for me...plus im sure it still rides great since its factory tuned??

·
Registered
199 Posts
i've researched the best i could re: the HFP kit myself. i never came across a person who felt the HFP was too rough. it seems main complaints are:

- even 1" drop all around, so the front is still higher than the back
- relative to the performance gain, cost of a new HFP kit is pretty expensive. enough to make a lot ppl consider aftermarket

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why I got the prokit/koni setup. I got my springs for 100 shipped from Simione and my shocks for 520 or so brand new shipped. For almost the exact same price, I got a suspension that will go lower and ride about the same...now it's a matter of dialing it all in.

·
Registered
351 Posts
konis and any spring will ride rougher than the hfp kit. The konis are the larger factor that reduce ride quality, not the moderately stiffer springs you use. Bottom line, HFP will be more comfortable than any setup with konis will. That said, konis are great for their adjustability though.

·
Registered
990 Posts
03coupe6speed said:
I was going to get the HFP kit. Ganley Hondas website says it drops it an inch all around...that would be good enough for me...plus im sure it still rides great since its factory tuned??
I put the HFP kit on my 98 and I love it. For me it took the floating feeling I had at highway speeds and firmed the ride to make it more responsive. Could I have gone with another set-up? sure but the ease of bolt on and go was what I was looking for. JMO

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Part of me wonders if I should get the HFP suspension and just sell my Koni/Prokit setup. Maybe I am just being oversensitive because from what I remember, the suspension that came with our Accords wasn't that soft to begin with.

·
Registered
94 Posts
eps sniper said:
Part of me wonders if I should get the HFP suspension and just sell my Koni/Prokit setup. Maybe I am just being oversensitive because from what I remember, the suspension that came with our Accords wasn't that soft to begin with.

Def bro, the stock ride is pretty damn stiff for OEM suspension in my mind, was the first thing I noticied when I test drove it

dont go for the HFP, I was gonna go that road and did some research, it aint worth it 600 bucks? hell with that, I picked up some used SS-P for 850 :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
06 AV6 06MT said:
Def bro, the stock ride is pretty damn stiff for OEM suspension in my mind, was the first thing I noticied when I test drove it

dont go for the HFP, I was gonna go that road and did some research, it aint worth it 600 bucks? hell with that, I picked up some used SS-P for 850 :)
I had h-techs and konis but I have a set of hfp struts/springs that I will be putting on to replace them because the konis completely destroyed the comfort. I do not want to get something like ssp's because they are too stiff and I don't want it lowered too much. The edfc is awesome, though once my car is set the way i like it, I wouldn't be touching the settings probably for the rest of it's lifetime, so paying 1k+ for the ssp's is a dumb idea. I would have gone with their comfort/sport coilover, but that's a good 1400, which sucks too. Buying a hfp kit for 550 was a much better option for me, though now I'll have to find a good sway bar combination to flatten out and neutralize the handling. Plus, now I'll have a complete hfp coupe once i get my hfp suspension and the front and rear lips on, and that sits a little better with me than having ALMOST a hfp coupe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents as a HFP suspension owner... I have not noticed any major difference as far as ride quality, but you still get the benefits of better handling and getting rid of 1 inch of wheel gap :) I am not so much for looks as improvement though and I did not wish to sacrifice the ride quality for appearance. I went through the dealer to get mine done so that it is covered by my warranty. They will try to void your warranty if you install an aftermarket suspension (at least in my experience). Anyway best of luck whichever you decide!

edited: I mean there is not a noticeable difference of comfort between stock and HFP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just bought an HFP suspension for my 2005 sedan and installed it myself the diff is WOOOOW, perfect fit to my 225/45/18 wheel. Comport is 8 from 1 to 10 than the original not to mention the respons is much much better. My next project....Sway bar

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want an aftermarket suspension that will ride close to stock, why not just get springs with stock shocks? Personally I think the hfp drop looks hideous. Why spend a large chunk of money on something that’ll give you saggy butt syndrome?

I have tein h-techs and a tl-s 20mm rear sway bar. It looks very classy imo(two finger gap all around) , and body roll is eliminated. I also cannot tell the difference in ride quality between stock and now.
Just my .02 :D

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
lexx426 said:
If you want an aftermarket suspension that will ride close to stock, why not just get springs with stock shocks? Personally I think the hfp drop looks hideous. Why spend a large chunk of money on something that’ll give you saggy butt syndrome?

I have tein h-techs and a tl-s 20mm rear sway bar. It looks very classy imo(two finger gap all around) , and body roll is eliminated. I also cannot tell the difference in ride quality between stock and now.
Just my .02 :D
Same exact setup, I couldn't agree w/ you more! I'm less than 2 finger gap though, mine must've settled more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts