Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q- My car is brand new. When should I change my oil?
A- The owners manual states to change the oil every 7500miles. Do not go over this limit EVER. You can change it sooner if you would like. I change my oil every 3000miles or less. Also, some people state thier dealer told them not to change the oil before the first 7500miles, as the car has a speacial break in oil. While this might be true, your engine is breaking in and wearing small particles of metal into the oil that the filter will not catch. Changing your oil after the first 3000miles is a very good idea, and will not hinder the breaking in of the motor.

Q- What octane should I use?
A- The required octane level for these cars is 87octane. According to a statment by honda engineers themself, using 91octane will allow the computer to up the timing in conjunction with the knock sensor, providing a 10hp and 10lbs/ft improvment to a total of 250hp and 222lbs/ft of torque.

Q- How do I reset the maintainence required light?
A- Strait from the 6th gens owners manual [yours has it also, thank you SteVTEC]

Attachments

Reactions: ctsport

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I thought 93 octane provided the +10hp +10 ft/lbs of torque , and I thought it was at the wheels, not the crank. That would be more like 260 HP/230 TQ at the crank (wow, the same as the CL-S)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They still offer 93octane? I haven't found that in years around phoenix. They stated using premium gas gave the gains, so it could be either 91 or 93. And the gains are at the crank, not the wheels, just like the stock rated power is at the crank, not the wheels :)

·
fonda my honda
592 Posts
good guide bored, thanks for putting this together. as far as octane, i cant even find 91 octane in texas. it's all 93 for "premium."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, some people state thier dealer told them not to change the oil before the first 7500miles, as the car has a speacial break in oil. While this might be true, your engine is breaking in and wearing small particles of metal into the oil that the filter will not catch. Changing your oil after the first 3000miles is a very good idea, and will not hinder the breaking in of the motor.
Isn't the filter designed to filter out particles large enough to cause damage? If it is, then I wouldn't be too worried about metallic particles too small to be filtered. I think this is a controversial topic and needs some research based on the scientific method before any conclusions can be drawn. Anyone wanna donate some new engines for testing? ;)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Common 7th gen questions

daveman said:
I think this is a controversial topic and needs some research based on the scientific method before any conclusions can be drawn.
Actually its a known topic thats been proven over and over again, at least in the domestic world ;)
It goes somthing like this: install flat tappet cam. Wipe out several lobes within hours of installing it. This means metal particles everywhere in the oil! Dont change the filter or oil for the next 3000miles then see what you motor looks like. It wont be pretty, I can tell you that :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
How long do you think the mileage could be extended by using synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil 1) and a good filter (Mobil 1, K&N)? Has anyone done any extended drain interval testing with synthetics?

·
Senior Moderhater
6,110 Posts
john35 said:
How long do you think the mileage could be extended by using synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil 1) and a good filter (Mobil 1, K&N)? Has anyone done any extended drain interval testing with synthetics?
I would say around 7,000 miles on synthetic. (start learning how to turn off your maintenance required light though ;))

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Synthetic oil will go 10,000miles easy before breaking down. Thats not the point though. It will be as dirty as dino oil is by 3000miles, so you should replace it anyways. The best filters out there according to a study I read online a while back were WIX [same as NAPA gold] and a/c delco [they dont make honda filters :D] with FRAM in dead last overall.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
Re: Re: Common 7th gen questions

daveman said:
Isn't the filter designed to filter out particles large enough to cause damage? If it is, then I wouldn't be too worried about metallic particles too small to be filtered. I think this is a controversial topic and needs some research based on the scientific method before any conclusions can be drawn. Anyone wanna donate some new engines for testing? ;)
A filter will in fact filter particles, but only up until the point where it becomes saturated and it no longer filters the oil, it goes into complete bypass in order to keep the oil flowing. If it bypasses, then your metal particles are just floating around in your motor...:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
bored&stroked said:
Synthetic oil will go 10,000miles easy before breaking down. Thats not the point though. It will be as dirty as dino oil is by 3000miles, so you should replace it anyways. The best filters out there according to a study I read online a while back were WIX [same as NAPA gold] and a/c delco [they dont make honda filters :D] with FRAM in dead last overall.
Now AC Delco do make Honda filters (PF 2057).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Can you add to the FAQ the stock tire/rim size? I've seen it asked way too many times.

215/50/17 - tires
17x7, 55 offset, 5x114.3 PCD - rims

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a quick question, due to the recent increase in gas prices, is it ok to alternate between Regular and Premium gas? The ECU will just adjust according to the type of gas right?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Corrion said:
I have a quick question, due to the recent increase in gas prices, is it ok to alternate between Regular and Premium gas? The ECU will just adjust according to the type of gas right?
Yup. Switch away :)

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
is it ok to alternate between Regular and Premium gas? The ECU will just adjust according to the type of gas right?
Yes, it would be fine to switch.

I'm not sure how quick the ecu makes an adjustment though. I read somewhere (on this site, I think) that after putting premium in, that the car had to be driven a tankful (or a couple hundred miles) before the computer would take complete advantage of the higher octane. I don't know for a fact though, just passing on what I had previously read.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its all based on the knock sensor. If the engine detects any detonation [knock] then it pulls timing. Taking a whole gas tank to add the timing back in to take advantage of 91octane makes sence.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Alright, thanks guys. I'm switching back until the gas prices are "decent" here in California :rolleyes:

·
SC J32A3 Accord
645 Posts
bored&stroked said:
I've always wondered where the stock factory filters would stand in these studies? As good as the Napa golds? in the middle somewhere or as bad as the Frams?

1 - 20 of 162 Posts