Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
___
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting someone to build me a simple desktop computer that I can use just for playing poker. I would probably get a 19" monitor with it. I just want to be able to play at ~4 tables at once and be able to see all the tables without switching over. My 1024x768 laptop resolution doesn't cut it. I would like to have 2048x1536 or higher. How much do you think this would all run me? As cheap as possible, I wouldn't want anything else for the computer other than use it to play poker.

Is there any way I can just replace the video card in my laptop so that I could connect it to a 19" monitor and run it at 2048x1536?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a 21" Sony CPD-G520P flat screen CRT monitor that I want to get rid of... it only has one issue though.... When its warming up for the first time the picture gets a distorted but after warming up the picture is completely fine... Its a really high quality monitor... I would be willing to get rid of it for around 100$

But if you want to use your laptop for video output, your laptop must either have a VGA/DVI output which is usually a blue looking serial port like this (VGA):

or a white connector like this (DVI):

or a composite (TV - Yellow Red White cables) output:

·
What Da Pho*?
1,033 Posts
I don't think you could find a monitor to run at that resolution. The best I have seen so far for a PC is 1920x1200 on a 23" or 24" widescreen LCD via DVI connection. A Dell 24" LCD costs around $800 with special promotion.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
If your hard core at poker and want the most viewing surface, do what I did.

Go DUAL 20" Widescreen LCD's!

Heres a picture of my old setup.

Screens

Dual Dell 20.1" LCD's

Workspace

The Dell LCD's are fairly cheap but the resolution you want will need to be managed by 2 LCD's.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hey me too!

I love Dell's widescreen LCD's... They're bright, clear, and sharp and have a very fast response time.

·
___
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kurt, what resolution does that monitor you're selling run at.

And can you guys explain the dual monitor set up? How does that work? Looks like heaven for poker haha.

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
Think of one big desktop. You would need a video card which supports dual monitor setup. The way I have it setup is that the left LCD is the primary and the right is secondary. I can float windows, applications or games on any screen. Perfect for multi-tasking. My daily applications running are: Adobe Photoshop on primary, DVD movie on the secondary (half Screen) and Messenger on the bottom half under the movie. As you can see in my pictures, I have 6 things going on at once. If you plan on going dual, be sure to get a high end video card to support the large surface area.

·
___
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so it's basically 1 big monitor split in two? You can move your mouse from one screen to the other? How much did those monitors cost you guys?

·
JB4 e92
5,224 Posts
borinka99 said:
so it's basically 1 big monitor split in two? You can move your mouse from one screen to the other? How much did those monitors cost you guys?
First off, you need a video card that supports dual monitor displays.

Then you'll need two monitors. Two 19" displays will probably cost around $600+ depending on what manufacturer you go with. Sometimes you can find some kick ass deals from Dell, or even www.newegg.com.

Now for moving the mouse from one screen or another. I don't know how to set it up, but I've seen it in person before.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
borinka99 said:
Kurt, what resolution does that monitor you're selling run at.

And can you guys explain the dual monitor set up? How does that work? Looks like heaven for poker haha.

It can run all the way up to 2048 x 1536.

The dual monitor setup is just basically 2 monitors used for one computer, so you have like 2 "work spaces" or desktops.

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
Depending on the videocard. The settings are in the video card where it can be 1 payne or 2. I have mine setup as 2 paynes so I can maximize a window in one LCD. Yes, you can move your mouse straight across.
Widescreen dual wallpapers are awesome too!
I got my LCD's when they were first released so it cost me about $1400 for 2 of them. Then I got a GForce 6800GT PCI-E which was another $400.

Once you go dual, you never go back.

·
___
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kurt, I'm thinkin about getting that 21" that you are selling for now and see how that goes. You said it goes to 2048 x 1536, but how visable is it at that resolution? What did you normall run it at? And also, how long does it usually take to warm up?

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
geez you guys are ballers with your dual 20"+ widescreens, haha.

my computer's 2 years old almost and i have a dell 8300 with 18" digital flat panel, back when dell used to offer 18", now they just go from 17 to 19

i'd love to buy one of those 20+" widescreens from you guys just incase you ever decide to sell ;)

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
The 2005FPW is selling for $383 now :argh:

I bought it for $434 last week! BASTIDGES

Oh well, time to grab a second one :D

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
VTEC-v6! said:

That just goes to show the computer industry........I paid close to double for each one! Damnit!! Maybe I need a 3rd one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
VTEC-v6! said:

Yeah, it's the end of the quarter for Dell, so they're pushing pretty good deals until the end of the month

1 - 20 of 20 Posts