Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok can u guys describe me how your auto tranny v6 accelerates...say your at a stop lite and gas it...i mean not floor the pedal or WOT..but nice easy acceleration...can u describe the shiftin on the auto tranny? is it like smooth as silk and u don't even know its upshifting? also can u describe it when u really gas and floor it... thanx ...u prolly know y im asking this LOL...man i hate v6 honda tranny

btw my car is NOT under warranty so im toasted if it goes

·
Car Person Wanna-Be
623 Posts
Mine shifts jerky most of the time...not really jerky, but it's usually noticeable when the tranny shifts...I don't know if thats normal or not, but im on my second tranny now at 108k miles :-/

·
Registered
253 Posts
im on my first and it hink im on like 80k, it doesnt jerk, but its definately noticeable. the only tiem it jerks alot if its durin a cold start

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
normal acceleration: 1->2 is noticable...i think that's just because of the low speed. 2->3 i can still feel...but it's definitely smoother. 3->4 if i don't let off the gas or give it more gas...is very smooth

flooring it: every shift is noticable...and could ALMOST be considered a "jerk"...but i think that's because VTEC kicks in and gives me that extra push before shifting.

this is on my first [email protected] 67k miles.

hope that helps a little!

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Light acceleration:

At part throttle, the 1-2 shift occurs anywhere from 1700 to 3500 rpm and is noticeable. It isn't jerky or harsh, but I can feel a little nudge when it happens.

The 2-3 occurs at 2600-3500 rpm and is a tiny bit smoother than the 1-2.

The 3-4 occurs at 2500 to 2750 rpm and can barely be felt at all.

Finally, there's the torque converter lock-up which occurs after the shift into 4th. It's pretty noticeable, about the same as the 1-2 shift

Moderate acceleration:

At half- to 2/3-throttle, the 1-2 shift occurs anywhere from 4000 to 5500 rpm. At this throttle position, the 1-2 shift can't even be felt most of the time. Sometimes I can feel it, but most of the time I can't. Strange, I know.

The 2-3 shift occurs at 4000-5000 rpm and can barely be felt. It feels about the same as the 3-4 shift during light acceleration.

The 3-4 shift occurs at 3000-4000 rpm and can barely be felt if I stay on the throttle or can't be felt at all if I let off.

The torque converter lock-up is smoother at higher speeds but is more noticeable if I let off the throttle abruptly.

And finally, WOT acceleration:

The 1-2 shift at WOT occurs at about 6000 rpm and is pretty smooth. Not as smooth as the same shift at moderate throttle, but smoother than the 1-2 during light acceleration. Pretty strange, huh?

Now, the 2-3 shift is a bit firmer than the 1-2 at WOT. The shift occurs at 6000 rpm and can be felt almost as much as the 1-2 under light acceleration. It feels like a slight nudge in the back.

The 3-4 at WOT is about the same as the 2-3 WOT shift when the tranny is left in D4 and upshifts at 5500 rpm or so. But, when I hold 3rd until the redline, the shift is almost transparent.

The torque converter lock-up in 3rd can't be felt, while the lock-up in 4th feels like a slight push from behind.

Well, that's how the tranny behaves in my AV6. I have an '02 with 10k miles :eek:

Sorry for the long post...

·
LaLaLaLa
4,852 Posts
hmmm for me on a cold start it feels and i know its slower than when it warms up. i have no idea why...but i raced my friends mustang w/a passenger in my car right when my car turned on and i lost to him. until 5 minutes later when my car warmed up and i kept up with him and eventually passed him. otherwise on a normal day
1-2 very jerky
2-3 less jerk
3-4 almost no jerk...
^but on all the shifts where-ever my foot is on whether its WOT or 1/2 down or 1/3 down or whatever it feels like my tranny just wants to gain a few more RPM. so it pulls just a lil bit more like another 600-700 rpm and then it jerks. but normally when the engine is warm the shifts go
1-2 a little jerking
2-3 no jerking
3-4 cant feel it even shifting

and at WOT
1-2 some jerking
2-3 some jerking
3-4 some jerking
^basically WOT you'll know youre gonna shift at 6000 RPM and it doesnt feel like it needs to gain a lil bit more RPM or anything it just hits 6000 RPM and shifts.

i have a 1999 accord v6 sedan btw.

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
VTEC doesn't engage when the engine is cold, that's why your car is slower when it's not warmed-up :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2002 accord with 90k miles. I have noticed that whenever I pushed the car hard, it shifts smoothly. But if I accelerate easily, I can really feel the shifts. It does not jerk, but then the feel is there. I am still on my 1st tranny, hopefully it will still hold :) . Maybe we really need to push the hard all the time during acceleration I guess?
;)

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
soundworks said:
I have a 2002 accord with 90k miles. I have noticed that whenever I pushed the car hard, it shifts smoothly. But if I accelerate easily, I can really feel the shifts. It does not jerk, but then the feel is there. I am still on my 1st tranny, hopefully it will still hold :) . Maybe we really need to push the hard all the time during acceleration I guess?
;)
It's strange, isn't it? :)

You'd think that the more throttle you use, the rougher the shifts would be. Not with these trannies...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts