Accord V6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
downpipe to replace the two precats that are in the engine bay. i was just going to buy the one from ebay and try to stick them on there. they said it replaces stock cats, and i made sure of that. but i don't know how reliable they are. but what is 60 bucks to see if some things works or not. i guess trial and error is my way of finding out if somethings works or not. I will go and get a quote though sometime soon.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
the ebay one replaces the 3rd cat. not the ones that are integrated into our headers.

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
oh okay, so that means i am going to go see what they would charge me to replace them with pipes and make holes in them or the o2 sensors.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
you do know your still going to throw off CELs and retard your ecu into running some wack sort of mixture because your cat sensors will read the PRE- Cat gases.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
so does removing your 3rd cat help at all?

i am just running a tanabe exhaust but i know the stock resonator is no longer there after installing my exhaust. Makes has a slight louder resonating, not quiet like the stock exhaust. I bet its just better to remove the 3rd cat and resonator and have one straight pipe 2.5" coming down into one muffuller i.e comptech sells muffullers by themself.
This way you removed one muffuller a CAT and those togeather probbly weighing close to 30-35lb with some piping . This would increase your speed greatly probbly get a increase in torque as well. Those tanabe cans are pretty dam heavy. Does haveing 2 muffullers really benifit us. I dont see how.? I think its just for show to distinguish us from the 4 cyl. I might even debadge my V6 eventually anyways just to see if more 4cyl ricers will play, and be more of a sleeper

what do you think

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
hmm i dont think the 3rd cat weight a lot at all, maybe 3-4 lbs? the premuffler weighs about 10 lbs in itself.

you would be best off taking a 3 inch piper which welds into a 2.5 pipe into a 2.25 pipe which flows straight through mufflers (that are straight through).

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
OwAce said:
hmm i dont think the 3rd cat weight a lot at all, maybe 3-4 lbs? the premuffler weighs about 10 lbs in itself.

you would be best off taking a 3 inch piper which welds into a 2.5 pipe into a 2.25 pipe which flows straight through mufflers (that are straight through).
Have you read T-mans post on his j-pipe and single exhaust all the way. He got 252 hp on the dyno.

Tman said he gained 8 HP just removeing the 3rd cat. Have you done this?

I dont see how a dual catback muffulers are any help? You would be better off with one can and 2.5 all the way back with maybe a glass pack where the 3rd cat was

·
Nothing special
838 Posts
I could def tell when I removed the third cat...it made a real difference in power.The third cat does not have an o2 sensor after it, so no codes are thrown

Removing the two precats would throw a cell, but that cell is only that the cats are malfunctioning (cause they are gone). That would not cause the engine to retard timing. The o2 sensors right next to the engine block are the only ones capable of adjusting anything with the engine. The sensors after the 2 precats only measure cat efficiency.

I would love a set of test pipes to go in there... If Tman got 8hp from removing just one, imagine what removing 2 more would do- not to mention their proximity to the engine block restricts exhaust right out of the engine. Screw the hippies, burn the ozone, I want more HP! LOL

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
now your starting to make me think. maybe i should remove the 1st and 2nd cats, and have a bolt on jpipe fabricated. and come emission time have the cats replaced.

however what tman did is also very interesting, he did a oxygen masking something or the other whatchamacallit..

hmm..

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
move to georgia no inspections

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
When the JPIPE IS released i will be having my 3rd cat remove while the car is on the lift installing the jpipe

hehe

that will be in 3 years haha

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
where do people go to get that cat removed...my exhaust shop wont touch the cat....it has to be fixed replaced at the dealer but they wont remove it....

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
you gotta find a downlow exhaust shop where the guy has no qualms about doign stuff that will make it illegal.

no meineke/midas or whatever chain store will touch it, independent backyard muffler stores will.

·
Nothing special
838 Posts
Offer a guy at Midas a case of beer... its the best way to have him put on the blinders.

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
yeah, in arizona i just went to a little mexican shop and offered the guy 50 bucks. he was kool, just said that he couldn't give me a receipt. so i was kool with that. I am going to go there again to see how much he will charge me for removing the pre-cats and welding 3 inch piping.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
pch said:
yeah, in arizona i just went to a little mexican shop and offered the guy 50 bucks. he was kool, just said that he couldn't give me a receipt. so i was kool with that. I am going to go there again to see how much he will charge me for removing the pre-cats and welding 3 inch piping.

So hows the difference with the 3rd cat removed?

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
awesome. i love it personally. my exhaust note changed, and my top end is a lot better. I don't know if it gave me 8hp like tman, but it gave me power non the less. I will try to get a sound clip of my exhaust so you guys can hear it. one thing that i wanted to add is that we have been talking about removing the cats in the engine bay. now when i saw the sick6speed videos, i hear him say he has 3 inch down pipes for each set of 3 cylinders. now did he remove those cats? from his set up (from what i saw in his pictures) it was just the j-pipes that he got done. But 3 inches, isnt that big?

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
i wonder if its better just to run 2.5 inch all the way down with one pipe.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts