Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Recently I noticed that it is very anoying to drive with supercup kit on a road that is un-even like 10 freeway since it's kinda bumpy. The front one was set to full soft, the back one is like 1/2 to 3/4 from soft/stiff setting...1.75" all around. Do u gusy think its the dampering setting?Or the neuspeed racing shocks?Or I should raise it a bit?

If you happen to be in socal, how much do u think a speedshop will charge to set the damper?(I dont know how to open the back seat to adjust the rear damper setting), if you know a shop that have decent price with good work, let me know.

thanks

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
The rear should be pretty easy. You just fold down the back seat and then remove that plastic trim piece. I think that you may be underdampening it, hence the lumpy ride (albeit the race springs are pretty stiff). Set it to half stiff and you should be fine.

Here's how to remove the plastic:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thx, I might give it a try. Now I need to find a correct tool.I'm going to set it to full soft.

PS:Where did u get this picture?Awesome....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Why did you set your rear rebound to be more firm? The rebound should be set in relation to spring rate. Ive called koni and neuspeed multiple times and the general consensus is to set the rebound at around 3/4 of a turn from soft setting. Anymore and you'll be bouncing around crappy streets which is what happened to me. I go to school in la jolla and the roads are pretty bad. Mine is at 1 turn from soft all around right now and the car oscillations are firm and controlled but not bouncy if i hit bump. Play with the setting its going to cost more than its worth if you try to get it done at a shop

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rccardude909 said:
Why did you set your rear rebound to be more firm? The rebound should be set in relation to spring rate. Ive called koni and neuspeed multiple times and the general consensus is to set the rebound at around 3/4 of a turn from soft setting. Anymore and you'll be bouncing around crappy streets which is what happened to me. I go to school in la jolla and the roads are pretty bad. Mine is at 1 turn from soft all around right now and the car oscillations are firm and controlled but not bouncy if i hit bump. Play with the setting its going to cost more than its worth if you try to get it done at a shop
I was installing this in a speedshop, so I was asking him how does it normally set on the rear and he said 3/4 from full soft...so I went with his suggestion and to my tatse it's feel more bumpy then I expected but everything set already, now I'm stuck with this setting.

So now I'm figuring out hwo to make it better. So what is ur setting?I'm about to set it to FULL SOFT, and see if that will improve the ride. That's why I'm going to do it myself, I think if I went to a shop again, he probably charge me $15-20 per side just to set the dampering.

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
liuhendy said:
I was installing this in a speedshop, so I was asking him how does it normally set on the rear and he said 3/4 from full soft...so I went with his suggestion and to my tatse it's feel more bumpy then I expected but everything set already, now I'm stuck with this setting.

So now I'm figuring out hwo to make it better. So what is ur setting?I'm about to set it to FULL SOFT, and see if that will improve the ride. That's why I'm going to do it myself, I think if I went to a shop again, he probably charge me $15-20 per side just to set the dampering.

when i had my koni's i set my fronts to 1 full turn from soft, and rears 3/4 turn from soft. i think you should always have the fronts a little stiffer since most of the weight is up front. you can do it yourself its really easy, fronts are a snap just put the knob right on top of the shocks, rear panel is a little tricky though, you have to be carefull not to break off any of the pegs, or crack the panel itself.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
04accordcpe said:
when i had my koni's i set my fronts to 1 full turn from soft, and rears 3/4 turn from soft. i think you should always have the fronts a little stiffer since most of the weight is up front. you can do it yourself its really easy, fronts are a snap just put the knob right on top of the shocks, rear panel is a little tricky though, you have to be carefull not to break off any of the pegs, or crack the panel itself.
Oh yeah, the front one was easy...I can set it up myself, the rear one is the one that become a trouble for me. I have my front to full soft, and I'm about to set my rear to full soft as well. I read it over koni web, that for beginner....it was recomended to have both in full soft setting.

"Q: What is the best adjustment setting for my shocks?

A: There is no single best adjustment setting for your KONIs because every driver has different preferences for comfort, performance, performance modifications and roads to drive on. For most vehicles, we suggest that new KONIs be installed in the full soft position. (the standard setting right out of the box) to take advantage of the balance of ride comfort and handling designed by the KONI ride development engineers. If the car has performance upgrades (springs, wheel/tire packages, etc.) or the driver wants the car a bit more aggressive, most people find the optimum setting in the 1/2 to one full turn from the full soft range. Over the extended life of the damper or if the driver wants a specific firm handling characteristic, the dampers can be adjusted up higher. Very rarely will KONI ever need to be adjusted to the full firm setting."

·
Registered
353 Posts
I prefer my fronts to be a half turn from full stiff. When they were set softer i thought the ride was bouncy and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
808v6er said:
I prefer my fronts to be a half turn from full stiff. When they were set softer i thought the ride was bouncy and uncomfortable.
It should be more comfortable if you set it to softer...coz the stiff setting will react to bumps more then soft setting but handle better when cornering. I would rather sacrifice that and get better ride.

·
Registered
353 Posts
liuhendy said:
It should be more comfortable if you set it to softer...coz the stiff setting will react to bumps more then soft setting but handle better when cornering. I would rather sacrifice that and get better ride.
Not for me. I actually think it's more comfortable when stiff :bonk: and I've tried all the settings.

But like you said yourself, everyone is different.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
ok

first of all define bouncy

1. is it when the car oscillates everytime you hit a bump?
or
2. is it when the car sharply reacts to a bump in a very jerk like fashion?

if 1. then you need to INCREASE damping, as you are underdamped

if 2. then you need to decrease damping as you are overdamped.

softer settings = air like ride, but springs will bounce you all over the place uncontrolled

stiffer settings = firmer ride as springs are damped and acceleration is retarded by the stiffer shock.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OwAce said:
ok

first of all define bouncy

1. is it when the car oscillates everytime you hit a bump?
or
2. is it when the car sharply reacts to a bump in a very jerk like fashion?

if 1. then you need to INCREASE damping, as you are underdamped

if 2. then you need to decrease damping as you are overdamped.

softer settings = air like ride, but springs will bounce you all over the place uncontrolled

stiffer settings = firmer ride as springs are damped and acceleration is retarded by the stiffer shock.
Looks like I'm on the second one, it's not just everytime it hit bump...everytime I ride on a freeway that is un-even, u know those that have tini hole, rough surfaces like 10 Freeway...I have this really bad "comfort" in my ride. [People like bouncing around inside my car]....what do u mean by decrease damping?more stiffer or softer setting?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I took OWAce advice I do some experiment today, messing around with my front dampering setting. At first, I set it to full soft and people were shakin around in my car like they riding a horse or somethin....then I did make it a bit [very little] to stiff...and amazingly, IT RIDES BETTER!

Now I'm tempted to adjust it a bit more to stiff...maybe this will make it better, or I should just leave it like that...Hm??

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
Approximately how many turns after full soft did you set it to? I'm getting my Konis/Prokits put on this Friday and wanna get it right :)

·
The Syndicate Martyr
129 Posts
eps sniper said:
Approximately how many turns after full soft did you set it to? I'm getting my Konis/Prokits put on this Friday and wanna get it right :)

It's more to your taste's.. It's what YOU desire out of your kit. I suggest setting it to full soft after you install them but dont put the panels in the rear back in. Drive around and if you need to adjust it's a peace of cake

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dynamatt said:
It's more to your taste's.. It's what YOU desire out of your kit. I suggest setting it to full soft after you install them but dont put the panels in the rear back in. Drive around and if you need to adjust it's a peace of cake
:iagree:

Some speedshop just wont let u do that, they just asked on what setting you wanted and they set it, put everything on to it's original state. That's what happen to me, the installer wont let me try it while the backseat was open after he install the kit.

As for the front one, its a piece of cake...u can set it anytime u want. The tricky one is the rear one...we all wanted lowered look but still ride in comfort...so I suggest not too far from soft, but yeah....definetely dont put it to full soft...u'll be bouncing around the car.

Let me know how it goes, I still figuring out the best dampering setting for the rear.

·
I ♥ My Honda
1,891 Posts
i have it set down the middle and there is this one part on the free way where my car bumps up and down. other than that i havent been on a road that does anything close to that. full soft will be too soft. and ive had it on 3/4 of the way to full stiff and its a pretty harsh ride. you literally feel every damn bump in the road.

for me 1/2 way is perfect but i still get the bouncy feeling when i am on that part of the freeway. but like i said the ride is nice on comfy anywhere else. i really think its the spring rate thats causing it to bouncy up and down like that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ephyouckay said:
i have it set down the middle and there is this one part on the free way where my car bumps up and down. other than that i havent been on a road that does anything close to that. full soft will be too soft. and ive had it on 3/4 of the way to full stiff and its a pretty harsh ride. you literally feel every damn bump in the road.

for me 1/2 way is perfect but i still get the bouncy feeling when i am on that part of the freeway. but like i said the ride is nice on comfy anywhere else. i really think its the spring rate thats causing it to bouncy up and down like that.
It could be, coz were using race spring instead of sport spring...I know I should get the sport spring at first and set it on the lowest perch, dammit! So us et it 1/2 way for the front and rear?I just set it a bit more to stiff today and i'll see how it goes...but 1/2 way to stiff....dang...I think it's too much. Us hould try 3/4.

I think the perfect setting will be 3/4 on the front and a bit off from full soft at the rear.

Hm...Update....it become unpleasant ride if I turn it more to stiff, so I would stick to the first setting, just a little bit to stiff...yea I'm talking around like 15-20 degress to stiff, from full soft.

·
Registered
351 Posts
play with it. I have h-techs and i have it set to 7/8th towards stiff in the back. I have stock shocks up front atm and that is the setting that I need to keep it in the back to keep it handling anywhere near neutral.

If you go too stiff then the shocks will keep the suspension from decompressing between bumps, and after a few bumps you will be riding on your bumpstops which can create some very dangerous handling characteristics (meaning extreme under or oversteer depending upon whether your riding on the bumpstops in the front or the rear). If you underdampen it then your tires will be flopping all over the place on bumps and your ride and handling will suck. Find the dampening sweet spot for your springs and keep your adjustments within that range. For me with the h-techs this is 3/8 turns to 1 turns in the rear and about 5/8 turns to 1 1/8 turns in the front. Anything more or less than that feels like something is wrong with the setup. The appropriate dampening settings will be very different depending upon what spring you choose to go with, but if you have it set to less than a half of a turn and it feels uncomfortable and handles badly, I guarantee you that it is underdampened (versus overdampened).

It doesn't take long to adjust, just keep the plastic cover off and the seats down and drive around and adjust it every couple of minutes untill you find something that feels good. Start at 3/4 a turn and adjust it a quarter a turn each time till you feel you are in the right area and you can fine-tune it from there if you want. I wouldn't go over 1.5 turns towards stiff though if they are new as you risk overdampening things, and your ride will really suck.

If you are trying to get your front's and rear's right in relation to eachother, take it through some turns and if it feels like you have too much oversteer then stiffen up the front shocks. If it feels like you have too much understeer then stiffen up the rear shocks. Do this till you feel handling is about neutral and that the front and rear ends of the car are rolling together instead of having excessive body roll in the rear like when your car is stock and causing understeer as a result (or the opposite if the rear is overdampened relative to the front). The shocks will not prevent body roll, but they will control the speed of the weight transfer.

Keep in mind that this will change the handling characteristics of your car significantly, and that 22mm bar that you had on there before might be a little too much depending upon your dampening and spring choices. I have a 17mm bar and my handling is very neutral due to the shock settings and the fact that more weight has been transferred up front due to the ride height changes. Also remember that your springs have a huge impact on your ride comfort and that if they are too stiff for you that no shock adjustment will be able to fix that (though I've heard that the race springs are relatively comfortable).

As far as ride height settings go, I would be very careful about putting certain springs on the lower perches. More specifically springs that are a little softer than the race springs, especially a progressive type spring (most springs people on here are using), or springs that have severe drops like the race springs. By moving your perch settings down you reduce possible shock travel and risk bottoming out the shocks (possibly damaging your shocks as a result) or making contact with your bumpstops too often (which will make things unpredictable, again). It would be better to get a spring with more of a drop and set it up on a higher perch of the shock. At least this way you actually reduce the chances of bottoming out on the shocks, though you will have to keep enough bumpstop on there to keep the coils from coming in contact with eachother if the spring should compress that far.

Hope that helps. Also, on a side-note, remember to crank that pinchbolt down a little tighter than you think it should be on the front shocks. If you had it installed somewhere else, go in afterwards and really crank it down anyway just in case. Due to some questionable (at least I think so) engineering decisions, the konis rely solely on the clamping force of the pinch-bolt whereas the oem and hfp shocks have a ring that is supported by the shape of the shock and designed to hold at least a portion of the weight in some situations. The konis have a bracket that is there to line it up, but is only tac welded on in two places and not designed to hold any real weight. My front konis slipped down on two occasions after hitting some bumpy patches of road so I have the oem shocks in till I can figure out a long-term solution (like having koni modify the mounting area to be more like the oem/hfp shocks). Just a heads up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts