Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of people post about what happens if/when their alternator goes out. Here is a photo of what to look for when it happens to your alternator or when it is on it's way out. These lights can flicker off and on or just be steady. Going over 75mph made the lights go off and slowing under 75 popped them back on (sure RPM was a factor) and putting the car in D3 made the lights go off also (raising the RPM again).

I live in Jackson, Mississippi and drove my V6 accord to Virginia last week (762 miles). While driving through Charlotte, North Carolina I noticed these lights flickering on and off. I didn't understand what exactly was happening, but I turned off the radio, air, fan and anything else that uses battery power being I was still 140 miles away from the Virginia state line.

I realized later this was the best move I could have done. I saved myself a headache of being stranded on the side of the road. I took my car directly to the Honda dealer at my destination in VA and was told my alternator had died and I was running only on my battery power that was left in the battery.

I was hot, sticky and smelly, but I didn't get stranded. Cost me $293 with tax for a new alternator. I don't have a sound system or anything that puts a load on the car. Honda really should pick a better alternator for their vehicles as I have replaced the alternator once before already.

Notice, I am doing 70 mph and all my doors, truck are open according to the instrument panel. Battery, brake and lamp indicators are illuminated also.

It could have been a lot worse than what it was. I was able to make it to my destination safely and only had to buy an alternator. For that, I am thankful it was only that.

Hope this helps and forgive the dust on the dash. Haven't had a chance to clean it up lately.

·
Registered
211 Posts
it is an alternator problem i had it happen with mine 2 times....its a sign of your alternator about to blow. when it does finnally go the regulator built into the alternator wont let the car go above 3000rpms because it will cause a spike in the voltage when its suppose to be a steady current not ac...just to give you heads up i have a ohio generator alternator and its great when it works...ive had to have it repaired 2 times already

1 - 2 of 2 Posts