Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see many posts in here...so I don't know if this is the right place for it. Mods feel free to move this thread....not like you need my permission or anything anyway right? haha =]

Anyway...here's my situation. Some doushce got punched into my car over New Year's. This is the outcome....

People have suggested using body hammers....but it's RIGHT on that crease that runs the full length of the car. I don't wanna mess that up =/. Another idea I've heard is a heat gun and a rubber hammer. But I don't have any details on that...like what temp and whatnot.

I tried to stick my hand in there to give an idea of how big the dent was. It's not horrible...but definitely noticable. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty limited on resources...meaning I'd have to probably buy a lot of the tools and I wanna try to spend as little as possible. Also don't have much experience with body work...so just some things to keep in mind.

Thanks!!

Jeff

·
Registered Fanatic
169 Posts
Man that sucks. The same thing happened to my coupe a week ago and I have no idea how it got there. I hate the fact that some people cant respect other peoples property :mad:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
use the heat gun to heat it up make it softer. Just heat it up as hot as you cna making sure not to burn the paint. But i doubt that you could relly pop out that crease all the way.

·
(つ◕‿◕)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.•
3,498 Posts
damn that sucks man, You might want to pm 99v6sedan, He's the "V6P Body/Paint Consultant"

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not too worried if there's a TINY dent on the crease as long as that ginormous thing is gone =]

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
anyone know what temperature the paint starts to burn? i just need a limit. even an estimate. i live in texas and it gets pretty hot sitting out in the sun...so i have no idea what's "good" for the paint anymore =/

well it's been really cold outside lately...so maybe i'll try it now....that way it'll heat up slower and there's less of a risk of damaging the paint?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
cant give you an estimate but it will be too hot to touch so use a towel folded twice so you dont burn yourself. But I would say put the heat gun on max and move it around for a minute or so. Make sure that you move it around that will make the surface heat up more evenly and prevent your paint from being burnt. It gets burnt when you hold the heat gun in one spot for too long. Also after you push on the dent and it changes shape or pops out a lil reverse the heat gun and put it on cold as to make sure the metal stays that way. So its hot and than cold and than hot when you want to continue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a dent just like that on my rear bumper. It happened about back in December. Then just a week or two ago, I came out to my car, and it popped back out on its own.

So my advice is wait another month and see if it fixes itself.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ do you think the outside temp will make it pop back out? the bumpers are abs plastic (or some sort of plastic)...but the fenders are metal. i've heard of people using a cold, wet towel on their hood to get little hail dents to pop out.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
its not gonna pop out on its own. The bumpers are urethane so they can pop from a radical change in temp but i have never heard of it happening before this time. If you're gonna do it than do it but dont think it will happen on its own.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ yea that's what i'm saying....i'll probably heat up and push it out from the back.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I got into a rear end accident which screwed up my front bumper, passenger side headlight alignment, reinforcement bar, and Im guessing maybe the alignment of my tires because I just found out that my driver's side tire is pretty bald. Anyway, I just poped the bumper back out (trust me it was the hardest thing ever, those plastics are more durable than the metals or something lol) Anyway, you should just try popping it first since heatgun might screw up your paint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts