Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
::ATTN:: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! I AM NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER YOU MIGHT SCREW UP ON!!.

PICTURES ARE LOCATED BELOW

May vary on car year,bodystyle, etc.

This was done on an 2001 Honda Accord COupe LX

TOOLS

1.Phillips Screw Driver
2.10MM socket and adapter (so you can reach under the headlamps)
3.Black High temp paint (if you want black housings)
4.Flathead screwdriver
5.a rag so you can use while poping up clips with flathead so you dont damage it
6.Silicon

THE DIRECTIONS!

1. Open up your hood
2. 5 clips on top of the grill, take them out using a flathead screwdriver. (use a rag of some sort so you do NOT damage those fragile clips.)
3. Take off 2 Screws each side under the fender next to the wheel. the it is under the very edge of the front bumper.(these screws are taken off using a phillips screw driver)
4. there are 2 bolts each side under the front bumper on the very edge(this is taken off using an 10mm.)
5. Then remove the 4 large clips under the car using a flathead and a rag.
6. Have someone help you take off the front bumper one on each side and press down on the edges and pull out.
7. Put the bumper somewhere safe and take off the styrofoam it bugs me when its on there.
8. Then now for headlamp removal. Each headlamp has 4 bolts which can be removed using an 10mm. one on top of headlamp, one on the side, and 2 underneath the headlamps.
9. then removed black metal holding the headlamp.
10. Twist and turn the bulbs out from the back and disconnect corner signal light, and also disconnect the power to the small light on the bottom. which should equal 4 things that were taken out. (CAUTION:: DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS WITH YOUR HANDS THE OIL ON HUMAN SKIN CUASES THE BULBS TO BLOW)
11. Now time for the oven... there are people who do it on diffrent temperatures and ETC... Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
12. Then when preheated TURN OFF the oven and put the headlamp in the oven and close door.
13. Wait approxamatly 5 minutes and pull headlamps out.
14. Now the silicon should be kinda melty. if not put in for couple minutes more. Pull apart the headlamp unclipping the black things that are held onto the headlamp. This should take some muscle it is really sticky.

NOW THIS CAN GO TWO DIFFRENT DIRECTIONS, IF YOU WANT BLACK HOUSINGS READ THE NEXT STEPS, YOU WANT CLEAR HEADLAMPS READ DIRECTIONS AFTER THE BLACK HOUSINGS.

BLACK HOUSINGS
1.Unscrew the bottom part there is 2 screw, which can be removed by a phillips screw driver. then that piece comes off. there is 2 pieces of orange. you can pull those out.
2. There should be 2 pieces when you open it right away. the middle piece is kind of stuck on with silicon which can be taken off using a lil bit of muscle.
3. Take the middle piece and spray paint it black (i used 500 degrees high temperature paint.)
4.Wait for paint to dry, and after its dry put that middle part back in and screw back the piece that was holding the amber lenses. then kinda put all the piceces headlamps back into place.
5. put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes, after preheated to 350 degrees.
6. When melted up again put it into place and make it seal up. I used extra silicon just incase of leaks.
7. I got silicon on the cover of the headlamps which can be EASILY removed by using WD-40.
8. put headlamps and bumper back on then you got your results :)

FOR CLEAR HEADLAMPS
1.After taking apart headlamps there should be 2 pieces. Unscrew the 2 screw with a phillips screw driver. after this is off you can remove the amber lenses.
2. Then screw back on the piece that was holding the amber lenses.
3. Put the headlamp pieces back together and put in to the oven preheated at 350 degrees, and leave it in there for 5 minutes.
4. after it is out the silicon should be melty again. then put the headlamp into place, and add extra silicon incase of leaks.
5. if the front of your headlight has silicon on it spray some wd-40 and wipe with a cloth and it should come off.
6. put on the headlamp back on and bumper and you got your results
:D

NOW LAUGH AT EVERYONE WHO SPENT 100+ FOR HEADLAMPS BECUASE THEY DIDNT KNOW HOW TO DIY.

WRITTEN BY : 01SILVERCOUPE

If you can MODS, make this a sticky so people can all read it and not post stupid threads about "how do i clear or black my headlamps?!" :cool:

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Old Member
8,915 Posts
getting those two bolts under the headlight was a pain in the ass did u guys put them on or take it out.

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
getting those two bolts under the headlight was a pain in the ass did u guys put them on or take it out.
I took it off when taking off headlamps and put them back on when putting headlamp back into place?? :confused: what are you talking about mang?!

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
DIY: Clear/Black Housing Headlights

Ahhh the classic mod of all time. Here you go NoObIeS

Taking off your bumper

You need to do this to get to your headlights! Instead of outline this detailed process, here are some Honda installation instructions for stock fog lights. The 2nd or 3rd page will contain a diagram that will provide a visual aid to clear headlights

V6: Coupe http://handa-accessories.com/accord/accordfoglights2DV6.pdf
Sedan http://handa-accessories.com/accord/accordfoglightsv64d.pdf

Note that these are for 98-00 models, 01 and onwards have slightly different bumpers, but you need not worry, the difference is +/- 2 clips on the bottom.

Removing the headlight assemblies

We'll start off with the right headlight assembly. There are 3 bolts holding it to the body, 1 on top, 2 on the bottom. The top one should be easily visible. The bottom ones are right under the low beam reflector. You will most likely require a torque wrench with an extender to reach these bolts. The bottom two bolts also hold together a black support bar, don't throw this away! Remove the bolts and put them aside. The headlight assembly should come off. Make sure you take out the bulbs and put them on a clean cloth, to avoid any finger prints.

Opening the headlight assemblies

This is the hard part, which will probably take a couple hours. Now you have two headlight assemblies sitting in front of you. How do I open them?! Well these things are glued together by silicon, to ensure proper sealing and waterproofing. The clear part (the lens) is glued to the grey opaque assembly which also houses the reflectors. The idea here is to heat up this silicon and soften it up so you can pry the headlight assembly apart.

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
Method 1: Hairdryer

This is the proven method to opening up the headlights. Simply take a hairdryer or heatgun (I'd recommend this!) and heat up a section of the headlight to soften the silicon. Take a flat head screwdriver and work the silicon. Be patient... don't get frustrated and scratch your headlights. Work your way around the entire assembly until the clear part seperates from the grey part.

Method 2: Oven

This method is for those who don't want to sit around for hours trying to pry apart the assembly. Set your oven to 200F, and make sure it is at that temperature! Put your headlight assembly onto a tray lined by lots and lots of tinfoil. Throw it in for five minutes only! Take it out, and all the silicon should be soft, ready for you to pry apart! Use a flat head to work the seams, but don't apply too much pressure as always. Note that if the silicon cools (and hardens), you will need to use a hairdryer or heatgun, like in Method 1. You can also throw it back in the oven for 2-3 minutes if it still doesn't want to come apart. Be careful though, excessive heat will cause warping and burn marks.

Repeat for the other headlight.

Removing the orange reflector

If you've gotten this far, and you have a set of opened headlights in front of you, then congradulations, you're 80% done! The orange strips are behind little housing of their own, about 8 inches by 1 inch, and it is held down by two phillips screws. Remove the screws and the housing will pop out, along with the orange reflectors. Toss them away.

WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH THE CHROME REFLECTORS! The chrome rubs off VERY VERY EASILY, leaving a dull grey behind. This is ugly, and you don't want this to happen.

Here is where people trying to make "black housings" will want to paint their reflectors before moving to the next step. I'd recommend paint that is high temperature, and non-glossy. Your halogen bulbs burn pretty hot, and low temperature paint (i.e. hobby paint) will discolor and you don't want that to happen. See below for additional details.

Resealing headlights

This is an extremely critical step. If you do not reseal your headlights properly, they will fog and leak! First off, this is bad because any kind of moisture on the chrome is bad news. Second, moisture on your expensive superwhite bulbs will make them burn out really fast! Third, it just makes your car look dumb.

Get a tube of RTV silicon from Pepboys, maybe even two. Starting with the one of the headlight assemblies, test fit the two parts together. If they don't fit, get a hairdryer and a flat head screwdriver and remove the silicon gunk left over when you pried open the assembly. After you get a resaonable fit, put silicon everywhere! I mean everywhere there might be a gap or opening. Even the smallest hole will cause your headlight to fog. I'd recommend two layers of silicon (after the first one has dried), just to be safe. It sucks to take out your assemblies again just to put more silicon. A set of clamps would also help, it will keep you from having to apply constant pressure until the silicon dries.

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
Black Housing

Parts

Paint - Any high-temperature paint or automotive paint will do. Some people have even used hobby paint because they have a much wider variety of colors. None of reported any problems. Note that if you have 100W+ halogen bulbs, this will definitely create a lot of heat. With high temperature or automotive paint this won't be a problem. Expect discoloration with hobby paint though. Otherwise normal 55W bulbs won't cause problems. People with retrofit HIDs won't have to worry either, since they only consume 35W.

Masking tape - Get a roll of masking tape from the paint section of Pepboys or a paint shop. Make sure that the tape has a VERY VERY light adhesive. This will be come clear later. (Electrical tape works too.)

Getting started

Refer to the Clearing Headlights instructions. After the step Removing the orange reflector, proceed. After you are done here, continue with the instructions.

Notice that chrome assemblies of the headlight come in two parts. One of them is bolted to the base of the headlight. The other one you can take out. This is what you will want to paint.

Look at the signal reflector part. Use your masking tape to tape a section off so that when you spray it, you won't cover up the chrome when you paint it (and thus making your signals very dim).

Alternative - Ignore the signal reflector part and just spray it. Buy some chrome or white reflective tape, cut out some cool shapes and stick those on when you're done painting. This is what I did after the masking tape (I used eletrical tape) tore off some of the chrome.

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
Painting

If you know how to spray paint, then ignore this part.

Otherwise, shake the can well, make sure the nozzle is aligned and not leaking. Stand about 2.5 feet back and spray evenly. Give the housing 3 coats if you can, letting each coat dry in between.

There, you're done!

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
Some various ways you can customize your headlights by just taping some of the reflector out.

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Attachments

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Attachments

·
v6p gangster
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THEY TOOK PIC WHILE I WAS TALKING SO DONT MIND THE PICTURE!!

Attachments

·
Honda Spy
102 Posts
good job!

those headlights look incredible!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts