Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to make my blinkers stay on with the the stalk when i want to. Sort of the way they are now, but I want the brightness equivalent to when the turn signals are on (much brighter). How would i wire it (relay wise), so that they turn signals stay constant bright, but still flash when turning? I like this GM DRL affect more then other conventional, as imho it is more noticeable then normal lights. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
358 Posts
sumptimwong said:
???

do you mean you want to use a double-filament bulb?
no i think he means he wants his car to be like most other GM vehciles.

their turn signals stay constant on and at full brightness. without having to turn the stalk to parking lights the lights are still always on.

when gm drivers click the stalk to go left or right the turn signals flash off and on off and off

1 filament bright bulb constant on need to relay it so it flashes off and on and off and on etc. when you activate turn signals...

dont konw how to do it but i would love to do this littel mod also. i always drive with my parking lights on..i think the car looks bad a$$ like that

·
Registered
100 Posts
Two relays are needed, wiring them is pretty simple; Keep in mind this information refers ONLY to wiring the relays; I have no idea as to what effects, if any, it can have on the car’s electrical system, the light bulb or the headlight assembly, or if it will void you warranty. Consider swapping the bulb to a single filament type, as I don’t believe a dual filament bulb will last using this setup. With that in mind this is how the relays should be wired,. For information purposes only, use at your own risk.

Relay #1:
Terminal # Connect to
30 12V (make sure you use a fuse on this connection)
87 Terminal 30 of relay #2
87A Not used
86 Parking light wire
85 Ground

Relay #2
Terminal # Connect to
30 Terminal 87 of relay #1
87 Not used
87A Light bulb
86 Turn signal wire
85 Ground

If you have no idea what those numbers mean I suggest you cease from doing this mod yourself, but if you insist, go here first.
Actually I suggest you look at the page first no matter what, is good reading.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PIJNnFIGLkI/tech/kb326.html

Art M.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
wow, i just started thinking about doing this so i did a quick search. you freaking did all the thinking for me art! thats exactly how i wouldve done it too.

my only concern is the amount of internal resistance the relays have between contacts 86 and 85. ideally, Relay #1 should have a resistance close to that of a 7w halogen bulb. also, Relay #2 should have a resistance close to that of a 30w or so halogen bulb. make sense?

otherwise, i'd be concerned about causing fires or prematurely blowing fuses. in addition, this would probably have the effect of a hyperblinker bc of decreased resistance. the blinker speed can be counteracted with a potentiometer (variable resistor) plugged into the stock turn relay, but i guess im more concerned about the parking light relay (Relay #1).

help pleeeease!

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
on second thought, this only works if your parking lights are ON! if theyre not on, then Relay #1 does nothing, and Relay #2 is inactive bc the bulb isnt getting any power from contact 30!?!

im looking for something thats like a DRL yanno?

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
nvm, i figured it out. only took me an hour ;D you need three relays for each side.

RELAY1 (R1):
30 12v fused and switched
86 parking
85 ground
87 30 on R3
87a 30 on R2

RELAY2 (R2):
30 87a on R1
86 blinkers
85 86 on R3
87 8w filament
87a 27w filament

RELAY3 (R3):
30 87 on R1
86 85 on R2
85 ground
87 27w filament
87a 8w filament

the results:

parking lights OFF, turn OFF:
- R1 goes to R2
- R2 turns on 27w
parking lights OFF, turn ON:
- R1 goes to R2
- R2 turns on 8w

parking lights ON, turn OFF:
- R1 goes to R3
- R3 turns on 8w
parking lights ON, turn ON:
- R1 goes to R3
- R3 turns on 27w

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
is this the same thing what you seen on the corvettes??? those orange light. whenever i see a corvette those lights are always on.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
yea, gm does that. corvette z06, cobalt, and many others. it works exactly the same way, bright during the day, and works like regular during the night

·
Registered
216 Posts
word to the wise, if you do this mod, be prepared to take of the clear piece right in front of the blinker. i did this and it began melting that. with double filament it gets really hot, really quick and its just too close to the bulb. i had to brake that off probably 4 days after driving with this mod. love it though. now i prefer not having that thing anyways. I've got one problem though, my blinker blinks quickly like a bulb is out and it doesnt blink at all if my lights are off...suggestions?

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
hahah you followed the exact setup that art m recommended, huh? i saw that problem earlier, see post #6.

in regards to the hyperblinker effect, see post #5

edit: btw, this is a little sketch i made, which relfects the setup i posted earlier: http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7277/drlrelaydiagram1sq.jpg

edit again: i went outside to look at the piece you were talking about. you were talking about the diffuser!! theres no way im gonna remove that all together, youre crazy.

which bulb did u use? isit a 1157 (sorry, didnt crack the manual for this one)? did you get the 5w/21w bulb or 8w/27w bulb, or another configuration? tia

·
N_Patel77
196 Posts

:eek:
just a question,,
is this like what the camry's have and the lexus..... If so, even i am interested.... i have heard the canadian accords come with this... Has anyone done this in the states successfully...

:eek:

sumptimwong said:
hahah you followed the exact setup that art m recommended, huh? i saw that problem earlier, see post #6.

in regards to the hyperblinker effect, see post #5

edit: btw, this is a little sketch i made, which relfects the setup i posted earlier: http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7277/drlrelaydiagram1sq.jpg

edit again: i went outside to look at the piece you were talking about. you were talking about the diffuser!! theres no way im gonna remove that all together, youre crazy.

which bulb did u use? isit a 1157 (sorry, didnt crack the manual for this one)? did you get the 5w/21w bulb or 8w/27w bulb, or another configuration? tia

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
no, not exactly the same thing. toyota likes to use their highbeams, run at 60% intensity for their DRLs. im using the high-wattage filament in the blinkers as DRL, like u see in GM vehicles like cobalt and z06

·
863 Posts
it's actually 06, but they have a drl module built into the car. Someone has a module and was looking for a writeup for hardwiring it into his car, but it looks like a lot of work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the GM turn-signal DRL's look a little...cheap. their DRL's don't really put out that much useable light and is purely for looks. the acura and lexus DRL's use the innermost bulb at low power, but put out ALOT of light, almost blinding in the late afternoon. the 06 accord DRL's are also very nice, but i'm not a big fan of the yellowish color. maybe i can fix that soon :p

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
well actually, acura DRL = honda DRL = very similar to toyota DRL.

they all use highbeam, which has a 60-65W filament. however, for DRL, they are all run at 40% intensity. 40% of 65W gives you 26W, which is 1W less than the 27W filament in a 1157 turn bulb. so actually, the turn signal DRL has more output, but is better diffused, as to not blind oncoming traffic.

again, it all comes down to preference, thats all.

trapshot is right, 06 accords have a smal little module that comes with the car. but in order to make it work with your 03-05, you'd also have to buy the harness, and you'd also have to run wires to/from about 5 different places, for input and output.

simply put, it is NOT a plug and play project, and is not a practical way to get DRL into your car. you'd be better off buying an aftermarket product, or simply making your own DRL module.

i posted up a wiring diagram for a diy high-beam DRL module in another thread, i think it was called "Drl". search around for it if youre interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts