Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION BELOW AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NO WAY WILL BE HELD RESPONISBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.

picture included below

do you get annoyed by how high our door lock knob stick out?
i came across this DIY from honda-acura.net
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=77711
Slick03 came up with this idea and put together a DIY on honda-acura.net forum

his approach is to replace the stock knob by buying another one from 2002 VW ($3 each)
i thought to myself hmm $6-$8 bucks, i'm a broked college student, why can't i use my stock knob
and i did and it work.

1-twist off the knobs on both sides
give it your best grip it'll come out

2-look at my picture and cut off the danm thing
use wat ever tool needed. my way is a cleaver and a hammer *crude i know

you can see my first few fail attempts

3-look in the door knob hole and you'll see a metal shaft
set to lock, the shaft will go down. place the knob in the hole while pressing unlock.
this will make the shaft go up and into the hole in the knob. now twist it back in

4-twist until its firmly secure, now measure the height to where you are happy.
me i like it to show a lil on the top, just enough to get noticed.

door Unlock

door lock

done.

·
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7
1,844 Posts
also, to find out how much to cut off, i would see how much of the shaft enters the opening (hehe) b4 u cut it. ie-use a pencil

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't know if that's a smart thing to do. In the case that your power lock is broken or your battery is dead while you are in the car, you have no way of pulling that thing up.

·
Just Another Member
290 Posts
I don't know if that's a smart thing to do. In the case that your power lock is broken or your battery is dead while you are in the car, you have no way of pulling that thing up.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Banned
5,093 Posts
hey man, do you cats know them little billet knobs they sell at like autozone and stuff, do they work on our cars, are they like universal fits or something, cause im thinking about changing mine.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if both the central locking and your remote(both of them) is dead, also you've lost your valet spare and the windows are up...god must hate you :D
but still with it cut down it look nicer.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
So....

Why would be sitting in a car with the doors locked, windows up, and has a dead battery in the first place?

I mean, OK you're sitting there with the windows up, listening to the radio, and the car is off. The radio turns off and won't work LONG before the locks stop working.

But, it did make for interesting conversation. :laugh:

·
Registered
386 Posts
So....

Why would be sitting in a car with the doors locked, windows up, and has a dead battery in the first place?
Well, don't laugh so fast. That did happen to my cousin's old '90 Accord when the battery went dead one day. And he just happend to have shutdown his car moments ago with the windows up. He pulled the knob manually to get out. It does happen.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well, don't laugh so fast. That did happen to my cousin's old '90 Accord when the battery went dead one day. And he just happend to have shutdown his car moments ago with the windows up. He pulled the knob manually to get out. It does happen.
I wasn't saying that is is IMPOSSIBLE... ;)

Just like 1 in every 5 million.

The scenario is HIGHLY unlikely. :D

·
Banned
5,093 Posts
hey man, do you cats know them little billet knobs they sell at like autozone and stuff, do they work on our cars, are they like universal fits or something, cause im thinking about changing mine.
anyone? :confused: :gotme:

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
hey does the knob just snap back on??? im going to go to VW get some knob. and keep some pliers in my car just incase ya know.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no you have to screw the knob back on =)
and the reason for this DIY is so you don't have to go a buy a VW knob. save times and couple bucks
just to let you know

1 - 20 of 37 Posts