Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I cut more holes in my poor car today. Had the OEM "tail pipe finishers" and ended up taking them off. Just never could get to like them especially with the big honkin screw sticking out the bottom. Guess I thought they looked a little "ghetto." So I ran across these tail pipe tips and thought they looked a little beefier and somewhat TL-ish. Had to cut the short curvy section off my stock pipes and then had to cutout some of the bumper. I made a template after test fitting the pieces behind the bumper (tight fit), marked where I wanted to cut, drilled holes around the edge of the mark, then cut inbetween the drill holes. Once the plastic piece was out I dremel sanded the edges smooth and put a piece of black door trim to hide the rough edge thus eliminating the need for a paint job! ;)

Close up:

Rear Shot: (kind of dark)

Angle Shot:

Some of you might notice that I have put back my rear "H" emblem. I was never able to completely eliminate the residue left behind. I ended up doing a DIY black-chrome treatment to it that I think came out decent...

As always I look forward to your thoughts and critiques!

·
Registered
358 Posts
yo yo

a few comments/question hope you dont mind:

---i love the cutout idea. i never liked how the tips just angle down on the sedans
---have you thought about using the tips that come on the coupe?
---you said you you did a blakc chrome polish to your H emblem...got a DIY on that? and what products did you use?

thanks and good job!

Habib

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great job!! I Like!!
Did you just cut the OE exhaust pipe where it starts to bend and get a long tip?

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the nice comments!

Du3ce said:
ever thought of tinting those altezzas?
No, because they match the car well the way they are now. I have retroed LEDs into them and would have to mess around too much to keep the brightness through the tint. At least there's much less blatant red than stock if that sort of thing bothers you. I wasn't sure (as usual) that I liked these after I got em but they have grown on me.

habibnazir said:
yo yo

a few comments/question hope you dont mind:

---i love the cutout idea. i never liked how the tips just angle down on the sedans
---have you thought about using the tips that come on the coupe?
---you said you you did a blakc chrome polish to your H emblem...got a DIY on that? and what products did you use?

thanks and good job!

Habib
I'm not sure what the tips on the coupe look like for sure but they appear to be a basic round shape right? I liked these because they extend about 9 inches (enough to reach through the bumper after cutting 4 inches of stok pipe) & because they look a little like the trapeziod shaped TL tips. These have much less of a trapeziod and almost look like the "H" emblem ring. Hard to tell from my pics but they are alittle narrower on top and I just thought they had an OEM look.

As for the Black-Chrome. A lot of trial and error (redid these like ten times) I think I've found the best combination...The best paint combo so far is (model paint) Pactra Racing Finish RC294 Window Tint (for RC cars) plus Testors Gloss Cote 1261 Overcoat. Step one, Thoroughly wash the piece so it has NO oil on it from fingers etc. Step two, apply a couple of clear coates as a primer and let them dry WELL. Step three, apply a light coat of the clear and while still wet apply as much tint as you want for darkness and allow to fully dry. Step four, apply several coates of clear and allow to dry for at least a day. Step Five, wax and buff the crap out of it. The 3rd step is key. Any other combination of steps creates a spotted or mottled look to the tint. It's hard to eliminate it completely since you want the coverage to be light enough for the chrome to still show through.

arom said:
Great job!! I Like!!
Did you just cut the OE exhaust pipe where it starts to bend and get a long tip?
Exactly correct Arom! These tips are 9 inches and after cutting about 4 inches off the stock pipe they are just long enough to get a good bite on the stock pipe and still reach to where I wanted them.

Cheers...

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
That is amazing. It's my new project. You're an innovator my friend, Very Nice. I like the tails, I hated them when I saw them on ebay, but on the graphite, they blend really nice. Did you cut the full cutout, or did you go a little more shallow than it allows?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Exactly correct Arom! These tips are 9 inches and after cutting about 4 inches off the stock pipe they are just long enough to get a good bite on the stock pipe and still reach to where I wanted them.

Cheers...[/QUOTE]

I'm so doing this!! Any info on the tips? Where did you get em? Did you weld em or screw on?

The only issue for me is I live in Maine and I'm afraid after one winter they will be all rusted to crap! The onlt tips Ive seen that lasts are the OEM's

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't use the whole cut out. Just what I needed to match the tips. The tips I found at Pep Boys. They are held in place with three "U" shaped clamps with screws in them. It seems to be a nice mechanism and you can't see any screws from behind etc. They weren't cheap for just tail pipes ($25.00 each) but they are a heavy guage stainless with internal baffles not just chrome tubes.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:

linky

·
oSCaR
4,919 Posts
forget the tips! you got a friggin HYBRID :cry: im so jealous...

and now your exhaust tips look better than mine! haha :up:

looks verry goood

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kingof3rdinput said:
If you can. Do you have some low side shots? Or even shots of the cutout from the inside out?
Here ya go...

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kingof3rdinput said:
THANK YOU, SIR !! How hard you rate this 1-10? Any scary encounters?
I guess the rating depends on the person. I'd give it about a 3 mostly because you have to cut the tail pipe otherwise I'd say 2. I have a pipe cutter which makes that a breeze. Determining where to cut the hole in the bumper is a matter of some artistic or geometric ability. Then drilling into your nice clean car is a matter of balls! ;)

I always spend A LOT of time thinking about these little projects before I do them. Often as I'm falling asleep at night I'll think of a better way to do some aspect of the project. Always think it out ahead of time.

·
oSCaR
4,919 Posts
AZ-V6-Hybrid said:
I guess the rating depends on the person. I'd give it about a 3 mostly because you have to cut the tail pipe otherwise I'd say 2. I have a pipe cutter which makes that a breeze. Determining where to cut the hole in the bumper is a matter of some artistic or geometric ability. Then drilling into your nice clean car is a matter of balls! ;)

I always spend A LOT of time thinking about these little projects before I do them. Often as I'm falling asleep at night I'll think of a better way to do some aspect of the project. Always think it out ahead of time.
you da man :up: w/ "THE" car

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can't believe you put altezzas on a $30,000+ car. Sorry bro, they look absolutely horrible IMHO. I do like the exhaust though.

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SoDakS2K said:
I can't believe you put altezzas on a $30,000+ car. Sorry bro, they look absolutely horrible IMHO. I do like the exhaust though.
I like them and that's all that counts. ;)

I realize that there are a lot of altezza haters here. That's ok! Everyone is entitled. Personally I don't care for them myself, especially the chrome ones. But, on some cars they DO look good. In my case I love the look since they match the graphite. No sure it would look as good to me on another color. Still I much prefer these to the stock tails especially now with the LEDs. Guess I'm just different! Funny, I don't like cars that are lowered too much either. Different strokes. Probably cause I'm a red-necked Arizona boy! :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
AZ-V6-Hybrid said:
I realize that there are a lot of altezza haters here. That's ok! Everyone is entitled. Personally I don't care for them myself, especially the chrome ones. But, on some cars they DO look good. In my case I love the look since they match the graphite. No sure it would look as good to me on another color. Still I much prefer these to the stock tails especially now with the LEDs. Guess I'm just different! Funny, I don't like cars that are lowered too much either. Different strokes. Probably cause I'm a red-necked Arizona boy! :D
Which light(s) are LEDs?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts