Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the highway yesterday morning going to work, and a 7th gen I4 coupe comes up fairly fast. I catch up to him, then on a straight we both punch it. He was pulling away ever so slightly. I had my climate control set on auto and I think it had the AC going.

I've got a 05' AV6 Sedan always using 91 octane.

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
As a member on this board is so cleverly named, sumptimwong... AC does not take THAT much power away that you can't outrun a 4cyl

·
Nothing special
838 Posts
Agreed, it does suck power like crazy, but there is no way u should loose to a 4-banger..unless you stayed in 6th and he downshifted lol. Your car should also turn the a/c compressor off if you go WOT.

The other thought is that it was a v6, just modified to a single exhaust. Never know!

·
From J30A to 4g63
753 Posts
I see a problem here too........I just posted a thread about a run against an I4 sedan, and i didnt have the AC on, but the amount i beat him by was huge toward the end. I cannot see the AC bogging the car down THAT bad to have an I4 not only pull ahead but even stay close to next to you? I could agree blu6speed, alot of V6'ers now put single exhaust on their coupes. Now the AC does screw with 4 cyl engines....i had a 99 civic before and the AC would make that thing go in reverse!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bigger question for me is weather the AC decreases your miles per gallon a lot. Some people say that the drag introduced to the car by driving with your windows open decreases your milage by about the same ammount as AC. I don't know if I believe them though...

Anybody know by how much the miles/gallon goes down with AC?

·
Registered
355 Posts
yeah, I have a 4 cylinder...and when I am on the freeway cruisin and hit the A/C...the car immedaitely feels like I just magically picked up 100 pounds of weight in my trunk

but as far as gas mileage goes though...it is generally said that A/C kills your mileage by 5-6%...but for engine POWER scale....I do not know...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Scubaman3D said:
The bigger question for me is weather the AC decreases your miles per gallon a lot. Some people say that the drag introduced to the car by driving with your windows open decreases your milage by about the same ammount as AC. I don't know if I believe them though...

Anybody know by how much the miles/gallon goes down with AC?
I had the same question. I have a long commute, so I have to fill up every week. I ran my car for a week without AC and then for a week with. There was no noticeable difference. Both times was around 390 miles on ~14gal.

I do notice a very slight reduction in power when the AC kicks on, but it's negligible. Especially compared to my 88 Accord Lxi, which felt like it dropped a boat anchor out the back when the compressor kicked on!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Wht2kAccord said:
yeah, I have a 4 cylinder...and when I am on the freeway cruisin and hit the A/C...the car immedaitely feels like I just magically picked up 100 pounds of weight in my trunk
ditto in my i4 coupe

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
interesting, i never noticed such a huge diff on my i4, esp at highway speeds.

so i figure that the compressor puts a constant load on the engine. on the freeway, im usually around 2900rpm in 5th. the load vs output at 2900 shouldnt be as noticeable as load vs 1500rpm on the streets. flaws in this logic?

in any case distinctjay, how in the world did you get outrun?? hahah, sumptim wong with dat ;D

·
Registered
79 Posts
AC compressor puts heavy load on the engine (or electric system grid at home) at the beginning of the cycle (at home it could be 1/4 of the whole cycle) in the car that varies. After reaching difference in pressure there is much much less power consumed, any AC system is closed loop. Probably the best it would be to run AC continually not letting compressor but continues 50F is kind of chilly :D
enough torque should take care of that .... :rolleye2:

·
Registered
303 Posts
i ran against my boys 350z auto, kept up with him and he maybe had a car on me by the end....then i realized i had my a/c on and wondered if it woulda been a different story if it was off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My dad, an auto mechanic, told me the compressor turns off when you floor it to a certain point, so that means it shouldn't take anything away.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
dandaman said:
My dad, an auto mechanic, told me the compressor turns off when you floor it to a certain point, so that means it shouldn't take anything away.
It will only shut off near the higher rpms so it will still reduce power output until the A/C compressor finally shuts off. So if you need every ounce of power from your engine for specific moments, you should shut off the A/C yourself.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
Big Alternator + Electric PS + Electric AC = Ownage :D

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
VTEC-v6! said:
Big Alternator + Electric PS + Electric AC = Ownage :D
Honda has something close to that in the AV6 Hybrid.

Regular alternator + EPS + hybrid twin scroll AC compressor + IMA motor = Ownage :D

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
Plumaccordcoupe said:
It will only shut off near the higher rpms so it will still reduce power output until the A/C compressor finally shuts off.
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the compressor cut-out is based on throttle position, not rpm. In other words, you don't need to be at a "high" rpm for the compressor to cut out, just be under heavy throttle. I think it'll cut out when you floor it even if you're only at 2 or 3 thousand rpm.

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
Wht2kAccord said:

but as far as gas mileage goes though...it is generally said that A/C kills your mileage by 5-6%...but for engine POWER scale....I do not know...
same here. i can really feel it when going up hill. 4banger sucks.

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
03LXV6Guy said:
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the compressor cut-out is based on throttle position, not rpm. In other words, you don't need to be at a "high" rpm for the compressor to cut out, just be under heavy throttle. I think it'll cut out when you floor it even if you're only at 2 or 3 thousand rpm.

if you floor it why would you be at 3K RPM ?
:confused:

when i floor my car it reves so quicly in first gear that it hits the rev limiter :eek:

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
03LXV6Guy said:
There is possibility that it could be based on throttle position. But regardless of what shuts it off, I still shut off the AC manually whenever I've needed every ounce of power out of my engine (special occasions ;) ).

Lxcord said:
if you floor it why would you be at 3K RPM ?
:confused:
If it does work the way he says it does, the second the system senses the throttle at 100% it will shut off the AC compressor to reduce load on the engine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts