1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's really upsetting....

thanks though Aziz :)

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
because it's cold. People have to warm up their cars in the morning and scrape ice from windshields and deal with snow on the driveway and tire chains and salt on the roads and not being able to wear a tank top in January! :shudder:

Not to mention I have no idea how to wear a scarf! I don't think I even own a scarf.

scary... very scary...

:p :hide2:

·
rectum damn near killed m
148 Posts
i live here what ya need to know? first off if it snows stay home cuz these people cant drive for **** in the rain let alone snow and possibly ice. second is we get a little snow mostly its damn cold and stays that way. if it snowed more there would be an upside to all the cold but mainly its just cold and windy. anything else?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
People cant drive here when its perfect outside. Snow makes everything stop, the first couple times its fun, but then u get sickof it. Not anything to look forward to at all. I guess enjoy so cal while ur still there.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Denali said:
because it's cold. People have to warm up their cars in the morning and scrape ice from windshields and deal with snow on the driveway and tire chains and salt on the roads and not being able to wear a tank top in January! :shudder:

Not to mention I have no idea how to wear a scarf! I don't think I even own a scarf.

scary... very scary...
i actually like it cold. it takes a little getting used to but when you are outside in the cold, the air just seems so clean and crisp.

what i do is i just go outside and turn on my car and turn on the heater full blast when i wake up. i then go and take a shower, brush my teeth, do my hair, get dressed, etc... i go outside and all the snow/ice is melted from the windows.

buy a scarf. they're like 10 bucks. if u can't buy one i'll buy one for you lol. oh and it's easy to wear a scarf. i'm sure u were joking about the "i have no idea how to wear a scarf".

Raddy21 said:
People cant drive here when its perfect outside. Snow makes everything stop, the first couple times its fun, but then u get sickof it. Not anything to look forward to at all. I guess enjoy so cal while ur still there.
roger that.

·
Just a Regular Member now
963 Posts
Yes it snows here. Not in huge amounts everytime, except for that last time 2 yrs ago :) We're expecting to get a bad winter this year, so we'll see. Most of the snow that dumps the most come from the South. The storm systems pick all the Gulf moisture and bring it up the coast then hits the cold front from Canada and instant snow!

We also get ice. That's also a lot of fun. I got my snow and ice driving training when I went to school in Illinois. After coming back to the DC area, its a no brainer. The one big worry is other people. No one in this area can drive worth crap like the other guy said. A bit of rain and everyone crashes into each other. The accident lawyers make so much dough in the DC metro area its not even funny anymore.

When you thinking of heading out here? I know DHS is hiring a LOT of folks. :)

Dizzy

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
I wish it didnt snow or get so cold here. Driving in DC sucks when it snows.. I've been rear ended twice because other peoples cars slip on the ice..

·
Boosted!
7,368 Posts
i hate the snow where im at snows alotttttt and ur car gets filthy with the sand and salt in streets.......

ill probaly buy a beater car eventually for the winter

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
yeah once in awhile DC gets a little bit of snow.

(Winter Storm 2003) :gapteeth:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What a cute dog! :D :)

Okay, that's a lot of snow... no worries Dizzy - it's not DHS. I have to finish the rest of my degree first. But, I was hoping for another set of letters. :p

So, new question-

How far is Strafford, VA to D.C.?
Is that a reasonable drive?
Do you know of any other areas that are decently priced?
All the houses are brick - I guess I'll never have to worry about earthquakes. :(

Is the snow so bad that I will need a 4WD?

·
User #4002
1,283 Posts
NYC get snow too.. but if you live in the urban, the snow usually get removed quickly the next day or two.. I can imagine if you going to live in DC in the urban area.. snow removal will be fast. If it snow too much.. just take the day off, stay home.. why risk your life for work? or telecommute.

·
Out of my Mind, Somewhere
2,500 Posts
Denali said:
So, new question-

How far is Strafford, VA to D.C.?
Is that a reasonable drive?
Do you know of any other areas that are decently priced?
I have been to DC a few times...back in 98 & 99.....first off you will be used to the traffic.....and the home prices.....they are high just like here in CA.

The car pool lane coming up from the south of DC has to have 3 people in it.....and it is one that stands by itself. (walled in) so its not like you can cheat like people do here.

Look in MD good houses and close enough....I have a friend who lived out there and worked at the pentagon....(now he is in St Louis).

They salt the roads so no need for a 4x4, but you might feel better driving in one....like the others have said.....they don't know how to drive....

Hope this helps....

Julie

1 - 20 of 35 Posts