Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALRIGHT im so sick of everyone giveing me all these different answers on what double clutch is i've been told its when you downshift and u shift down 2 gears, then i've been told its when u pump in the clutch twice and then put it in gear or its where u not use the clutch at all......i get all these different answers from stupid lil ricer ppl...... WELL what is it?

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
double clutching is the following

1) car in gear
2) clutch in
3) gear out
4) clutch out
5) clutch in
6) gear in
7) clutch out

the idea is to leave the car in neutral for a split second versus having the clutch in all the way and going into gear directly.

so its gear - neutral - gear, vs gear to gear.

in this way, during the neutral stage you can rev match so that the gears align perfectly (driveshaft speed to the engine speed) and you have a smooth shift.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lets say your downshifting from 4th. You put it into neutral then clutch out then rev match then clutch in again to put it into 3rd then clutch out to engage gear. Basic gist of it. Theres a lotta articles online you can read through

·
Registered
255 Posts
rccardude909 said:
Lets say your downshifting from 4th. You put it into neutral then clutch out then rev match then clutch in again to put it into 3rd then clutch out to engage gear. Basic gist of it. Theres a lotta articles online you can read through

Whoops owace beat me to it

·
Pedal damn it
3,913 Posts
pretty much.... rev matching quick style

·
Registered
34 Posts
You really never need to do this on your car though... or any car that has synchros. This is a technique used by big diesels and 18 wheelers and such... it is of pretty much NO use to you, whatsoever. Especially not in racing.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
fakese7ens said:
You really never need to do this on your car though... or any car that has synchros. This is a technique used by big diesels and 18 wheelers and such... it is of pretty much NO use to you, whatsoever. Especially not in racing.
not true. it ensure longevity of your clutch, especially on downshifts. also ensures longevity of your synchros and better gear meshing.

infact double clutching helped me make the step up to clutchless shifting.

·
Registered
820 Posts
who cares... just drive the car however u feel like... my 2003 coup 6spd has 82k on it as of today and i give the car a beating all the time... clutch is still fine and tranny is doing very well...

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
raff said:
who cares... just drive the car however u feel like... my 2003 coup 6spd has 82k on it as of today and i give the car a beating all the time... clutch is still fine and tranny is doing very well...
ok. but some people want to see their car last longer. btw do you downshift? do you use your brakes for anything OTHER than traffic stops (red lights, traffic, toll booths, stop signs?)

i dont. i downshift by rev matching. ppl wave at me crazy saying your brake lights are out. :eek: :p

·
Pedal damn it
3,913 Posts
^ it also means that you'll be pumping gas every other day. lol :p

·
Registered
820 Posts
OwAce said:
ok. but some people want to see their car last longer. btw do you downshift? do you use your brakes for anything OTHER than traffic stops (red lights, traffic, toll booths, stop signs?)

i dont. i downshift by rev matching. ppl wave at me crazy saying your brake lights are out. :eek: :p
well yes i rev match.. i downshift like a mofo... i double clutch sometimes but i'm saying double clutching is not really necessary. rev match and your fine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
OwAce said:

First of all, riding the engine down to a stop might not be great for longevity. Brakes are cheaper to replace than a drivetrain. Also, heel/toe downshifting is like double clutching, but cooler.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
deuzezwild said:
First of all, riding the engine down to a stop might not be great for longevity. Brakes are cheaper to replace than a drivetrain. Also, heel/toe downshifting is like double clutching, but cooler.
ive seen cars with 300k miles on them original clutch with ppl who downshifted. up next is heel toeing indeed.

btw how do you rev match without doubleclutching? or do you heel toe?

·
Registered
882 Posts
pshah. i drive an auto. :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
FSAE. But, we're using a motorcycle engine, so it's sequential. As for downshifts, we're going to buy a slipper clutch, which will allow us to downshift without blipping the throttle (we would blip, but the rules make it exceedingly difficult to).

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
deuzezwild said:
FSAE. But, we're using a motorcycle engine, so it's sequential. As for downshifts, we're going to buy a slipper clutch, which will allow us to downshift without blipping the throttle (we would blip, but the rules make it exceedingly difficult to).
how long do those last?

·
Registered
882 Posts
they're built for a motorcycle, which doesn't last very long in the first place. And we're going to be putting it under lots of stress, so not particularly long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts