Accord V6 Forum banner

Double Clutching?

1K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  hammer03 
#1 ·
ALRIGHT im so sick of everyone giveing me all these different answers on what double clutch is i've been told its when you downshift and u shift down 2 gears, then i've been told its when u pump in the clutch twice and then put it in gear or its where u not use the clutch at all......i get all these different answers from stupid lil ricer ppl...... WELL what is it?

#3 ·
double clutching is the following

1) car in gear
2) clutch in
3) gear out
4) clutch out
5) clutch in
6) gear in
7) clutch out

the idea is to leave the car in neutral for a split second versus having the clutch in all the way and going into gear directly.

so its gear - neutral - gear, vs gear to gear.

in this way, during the neutral stage you can rev match so that the gears align perfectly (driveshaft speed to the engine speed) and you have a smooth shift.

#6 ·
pretty much.... rev matching quick style

#9 ·
fakese7ens said:
You really never need to do this on your car though... or any car that has synchros. This is a technique used by big diesels and 18 wheelers and such... it is of pretty much NO use to you, whatsoever. Especially not in racing.
not true. it ensure longevity of your clutch, especially on downshifts. also ensures longevity of your synchros and better gear meshing.

infact double clutching helped me make the step up to clutchless shifting.

#11 ·
raff said:
who cares... just drive the car however u feel like... my 2003 coup 6spd has 82k on it as of today and i give the car a beating all the time... clutch is still fine and tranny is doing very well...
ok. but some people want to see their car last longer. btw do you downshift? do you use your brakes for anything OTHER than traffic stops (red lights, traffic, toll booths, stop signs?)

i dont. i downshift by rev matching. ppl wave at me crazy saying your brake lights are out. :eek: :p

#12 ·
^ it also means that you'll be pumping gas every other day. lol :p

#13 ·
OwAce said:
ok. but some people want to see their car last longer. btw do you downshift? do you use your brakes for anything OTHER than traffic stops (red lights, traffic, toll booths, stop signs?)

i dont. i downshift by rev matching. ppl wave at me crazy saying your brake lights are out. :eek: :p
well yes i rev match.. i downshift like a mofo... i double clutch sometimes but i'm saying double clutching is not really necessary. rev match and your fine.

#14 ·
OwAce said:

First of all, riding the engine down to a stop might not be great for longevity. Brakes are cheaper to replace than a drivetrain. Also, heel/toe downshifting is like double clutching, but cooler.

#15 ·
deuzezwild said:
First of all, riding the engine down to a stop might not be great for longevity. Brakes are cheaper to replace than a drivetrain. Also, heel/toe downshifting is like double clutching, but cooler.
ive seen cars with 300k miles on them original clutch with ppl who downshifted. up next is heel toeing indeed.

btw how do you rev match without doubleclutching? or do you heel toe?

#18 ·
FSAE. But, we're using a motorcycle engine, so it's sequential. As for downshifts, we're going to buy a slipper clutch, which will allow us to downshift without blipping the throttle (we would blip, but the rules make it exceedingly difficult to).

#20 ·
they're built for a motorcycle, which doesn't last very long in the first place. And we're going to be putting it under lots of stress, so not particularly long.

#21 ·
heel-toe downshifting is comparable in effect to double clutching for downshifting.

double clutching for an upshift is NOT necessary on a synchro-mesh transmission, but it is true that it will prolong the life of your clutch and synchros. there are trade-offs to double-clutching or not, and its just a matter of where you place your values. google this for more info

#22 ·
Maybe the poor guy just wants to emulate the driver of a semi. :p Heavy clutch and NO synchros. :eek:

Seriously, if you keep double clutching, you'll start to walk lopsided when your muscles get bigger in your left leg vs. your right. :D

#26 ·
Double-Clutching
Truck transmissions don't have synchromesh gears which allow you to shift even if the input and output shafts are rotating at a different speed. For a truck, you need to match speed with what the engine and wheels are doing. Shifting for truckers is a two-step process. Hit the clutch and put the transmission in neutral. You then quickly tap the accelerator to match engine revs with what the wheels are doing, hit the clutch and put it in gear. You can use this method to see how smoothly you are shifting normally, and helps you learn how to rev match. The benefits of rev matching include smoother transitions between gears, especially on downshifts as well as reducing the wear and tear on the synchromesh gears themselves.

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html <--- source

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.