Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got Auterra for PalmOS, which is really cool so far btw, and plugged it in to see what my car had to say. Well, the first thing that popped out is a trouble code P1700 :( Anyone know what this code is? The Auterra software didn't know, google wasn't helpful - all I could find was a trouble code of that number for Subaru that was for AUTOs, and I couldn't find anything on here. The only things I can think of are:

1) It's because I turned off the TCS. I'm gonna see what happens if I leave it on.
2) The car has recorded the time that my car "accidentally" hit the rev limiter after I tried racing that Ferrari F430 from a stop and got :Owned:
3) Something is truly hosed on my car and I should really look into it.

I could try clearing it and see if it comes back. But I'm still curious to know what it really means.

And one more thing. Since it looks like 2003 marked the year where the CAN protocol was available in cars I was expecting my palm to detect it. However, it reported the old ISO OBD2 format and wouldn't let me use CAN.

Anyone know if our car supports the CAN protocol?

There is reference to CAN (Controller Area Network) in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after playing with this a little more I now see:

P1700
B3EA8
B11BB

Where the second two only show up once in a while. I can't find any info on any of these. It's not the TCS and they are still there after I clear the DTCs. I'm beginning to think they are bogus, but I'm considering forking over the $$ to have a dealership hook up their OBD device and make sure nothing is wrong.

Anyone else use the Auterra software (Palm OS version) with their 2003 or even 7th gen accord?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
orion4096 said:
So after playing with this a little more I now see:

P1700
B3EA8
B11BB

Where the second two only show up once in a while. I can't find any info on any of these. It's not the TCS and they are still there after I clear the DTCs. I'm beginning to think they are bogus, but I'm considering forking over the $$ to have a dealership hook up their OBD device and make sure nothing is wrong.

Anyone else use the Auterra software (Palm OS version) with their 2003 or even 7th gen accord?
In case anyone else ever has this problem - it looks like they are completely bogus. Apparently some Honda ECUs don't return the "No Code" message when there are no DTCs and instead return somewhat arbitrary data which gets interpreted as DTC(s) :down:

I just wish that the one junk DTC wouldn't be in the tranny category (P17XX) :D

I wonder how the Honda Diagnostic Scanner (HDS) deals with this and if it's really a bug or a Honda "feature". Maybe they implemented some skewed version of the OBD2 specification.

Here's the e-mail response I got from Auterra:

-----

We have diagnosed this Honda problem numerous time. The issue is a software
bug in some Honda ECUs. The issue is that instead of returning blank numbers
00 00 when there are no codes, the ECU actually returns bytes from whatever
the last message was (essentially random garbage). The OBD II specification
say it must be 00 00 when no codes are set. If anything else, then interpret
as a DTC.

In short, the scan tool is operating correctly and it's a known Honda bug.
Just ignore any messages you can't find a definition for. They are not real
codes.

-----

1 - 6 of 6 Posts