Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m buying a new computer.
Is dual core processor worth the extra money?
or is P4 with higher speed better choice?

·
Registered
693 Posts
who cares?? iduno why people have such how power computers now a days. who honestly plays that many games?? all people really do is chat on aim with computers now. jsut save some money and go with the decent set up

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
If you're looking to build a computer with the latest features or one that you can easily add the newest hardware down the road, go with the new duel core processors (AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Pentium D). Otherwise, enjoy the falling prices on the P4/Athlon 64 systems and build a good computer using one of those.

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
With high end components (not using dual core) the OS's, games, and applications today, you will barely tell the difference. Future games and programs will take advantage of dual core processing but thats not until the end of this year or next year.

I look at it this way, if you have the money, get it. You obviously have the WANT to get it so it will prevent you from kicking yourself in the butt later. And if your doing media or rendering type work, definately get it.
But 64 processors or so cheap now and so fast. All you really need is a lot of memory and a good video card combined with a high end 64 processor. 5 years ago everything was dependent on the CPU, now the most common upgrade is Video Graphics and Memory.

·
JB4 e92
5,224 Posts
yea_im_chinese said:
who cares?? iduno why people have such how power computers now a days. who honestly plays that many games?? all people really do is chat on aim with computers now. jsut save some money and go with the decent set up
You would be suprised how big the percentage of computer users are gamers.

How can you speak for the majority and claim that "all people really do is chat on aim with computers now?" Don't forget people use computers for school, work, etc.

With today's uprising requirements for PC gaming (such as Doom 3, HL-2); computers require some of the top of the line equipment to play at the highest quality.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
I wouldn't spend my money on an intel dual core processor, AMD all the way.

With that being said, I have an intel mobo and cpu here I'm willing to let go for a steal :hide:

·
Registered
693 Posts
clean2draccord said:
How can you speak for the majority and claim that "all people really do is chat on aim with computers now?" Don't forget people use computers for school, work, etc.
if u use the computer for school, work, etc, do u really need like a 5000 dollar computer? how many people do u see doing school work 24/7??

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
yea_im_chinese said:
yup...... just buy a cheap set from dell and done deal. seriously my 800mhz is still pretty good but got a new one since it fuking up all the time.

·
JB4 e92
5,224 Posts
yea_im_chinese said:
if u use the computer for school, work, etc, do u really need like a 5000 dollar computer? how many people do u see doing school work 24/7??
Instead of saying, "who cares?" My point was that some people go for the best of the best when choosing computer parts, especially gamers.

I didn't say in my previous post that all people do school/work 24/7. :rolleye2:

In conclusion, people choose their parts according to what they will be using their computer for. If aCcOrDv6VTEC3R is planning on doing a lot of gaming, he might want to invest in getting a dual core processor. If the computer is just for everyday school/work then he might not need such an expensive machine.

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
thats just like saying most of us drive our cars on the street most of the time, not the track. do we want more power? yes. do we like to go fast, or at least have that ability, yes. most of us anyway.
so why do people buy 400 hp cars and never track them? because they like to. same way with the computers.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
clean2draccord said:
You would be suprised how big the percentage of computer users are gamers.

With today's uprising requirements for PC gaming (such as Doom 3, HL-2); computers require some of the top of the line equipment to play at the highest quality.
Not just with gaming, but programs like Photoshop (photo editing) and Unlead MediaStudio Pro (video editing) require a great deal of processor power and a ton of ram. Otherwise, you'll be sitting their watching the hour glass as the system processes your last move and the overflowing memory loads into the harddrive.

VTEC-v6! said:
I wouldn't spend my money on an intel dual core processor, AMD all the way.
Athlon 64 X2 :up:

hammer03 said:
thats just like saying most of us drive our cars on the street most of the time, not the track. do we want more power? yes. do we like to go fast, or at least have that ability, yes. most of us anyway.
so why do people buy 400 hp cars and never track them? because they like to. same way with the computers.
:and1:

And having more power than you need is better than not having enough power to get something done quickly and efficiently.

·
V6 -> I4 -> I6
2,943 Posts
"most people use it for AIM", hey, its true.

but when you are chatting not just with AIM, but also with MSN & ICQ while multi-web
browsing + photochopping + listening to music/video + performing various computer
maintence programs + installing programs or updating, you will need a nice computer. ;)

Of course, I don't do all of them once, but I keep them all on while im on the computer.
I bet alot of people does the same with me. Most people these days are capable
of multi-tasks you know. ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would suggest doing what I'm gonna do. Build up a good computer, but go with a standard Athlon 64 proc.

Many of the high end motherboards are already dual-core capable, and will just need a BIOS update if that. So in 6 months to a year, when i want more power and prices are reasonable, I can upgrade to a nice cheap dual core chip.

:D

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
DangerMouse said:
Many of the high end motherboards are already dual-core capable, and will just need a BIOS update if that. So in 6 months to a year, when i want more power and prices are reasonable, I can upgrade to a nice cheap dual core chip.

:D
I doubt that is possible since the sockets for the processors are different.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plumaccordcoupe said:
I doubt that is possible since the sockets for the processors are different.
that depands.
not sure about AMD processors but for upper end P4s and P D use same socket I beleive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts