Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is installing a underdrive crank pulley, or are pulling their crank pulley for engine work, I have a tip for easy removal without special tools (like impact guns, etc.)

I got this idea from when I used to work on my Toyota pickup more - you can use the starter motor to drive the crankshaft in a clockwise direction, while wedging a socket wrench against some sturdy part of the car.

What you'll need:
1/2" socket wrench
19mm socket
3" extension
18" length (or thereabouts) of pipe (for extra length on wrench handle)
strap of some sort to help hold pipe/wrench in place.

After removing the wheel, I removed the plugs on the COPS (VERY IMPORTANT!) so that when I cranked the engine over, the engine won't catch. If you have a distributor, then you could unplug the distributor from the coil.

Next, I slipped the pipe underneath the steering link, aimed right towards the punch out to the side of the crankpulley bolt. I put the wrench handle inside of the pipe, and then attached the extension and socket. I put the socket in place on the crank pulley, made sure it didn't look like it was going to slip off, and then cranked the engine. Voila! the bolt stays in place, while the pulley spins, and loosens the bolt.

I have a picture, but can't seem to post attachments. If anyone knows how I can gain authorization to do this, I'll post a picture (speaks a thousand words...).

I hope this helps somebody - it sure made pulley removal a snap!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ghost_masterCL said:
yep this has been posted before. Definitely much easier, especially since a impact wrench won't even get teh bolt off.
Ah! I tried to find postings about this, but my search skeews aren't finely honed yet - I didn't see it. Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
hey no problem, there was never a thread specifically about it. It was just mentioned in cingle posts off in threads about the UR pullies, so this will certainly make future searches easier for others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts