Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago I got a SRI for my 98 AV6 and this shop who was doing something some other work for me said they'd just put it in, but warned that taking out the stock air filter would cause the 'check engine' light to come on.. assuming that they knew what they were doing I went along with it like an idiot, only to realize later that my fuel economy suffered horribly (I get about 400kms from a full tank of gas).. talking to some people ive realized that the light isn't supposed to be on, so I had the car scanned and it returned error code 0117, which has to do with the ECT sensor.. so the guy who scanned it in basically told me to get an ECT sensor from honda and he'd put it in and i guess we just hope the light goes away and fuel economy goes back to normal.. now, i went to Honda parts and they have no idea what the hell im talking about when i ask for an ECT sensor.. so my question is:

1) Im assuming the car's main computer unit goes into some sort of a "safe mode" when the check engine light is on, is this true?

2) I did a search on ECT sensors on this forum and on google and it didn't return any real results aside from the fact that it may have something to do with an 'ECU' ?

3) Is the sensor that needs to be replaced really an ECT sensor? or is it something else? Considering the code 0117 cross referenced to an ECT sensor.

4) Pretty sure the answer is no but is it normal for the check engine light to stay on after the stock filters out and replaced with a SRI?

·
Senior Moderhater
6,110 Posts
Why dont you try to have the CPU reset, and erase the CEL that came on. 98% of the time its just a simple computer error than can be fixed with a reset. The only sensor I remember on the intake it was IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor. Ive never heard about an IAT sensor going bad on an 6th gen V6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it easy to reset the computer for the car, as in is it possible to just simply do it myself or does it require the scanner or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright im gunna go try that out n see if the CEL light goes away.. honestly gas mileage became extremely crappy after i put it in but i was assuming that because of the CEL the CPU went into some sort of a 'safe mode' causing it to consume a lot more gas then its supposed to.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Enigine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor seats in water passage manifold. this manifold connects both cylinder banks to make complete cooling system loop.
sensor itself located below throttle body, so you might have done something to connector or wiring when you were installing SRI. go back and check wiring to ECT.

here is picture that should hepl you to located ECT, ECT is number 15 on picture.
picture -> https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13S820.026.6.gif

place to buy -> https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hon...slsareacd=KA&hp_system=A&hp_component=E++1501

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a CAI and my fuel consuption is the same if not better...as for the reset if the fuse trick doesnt work. Turn the car off...press and hold the trip meter button then turn the car off while holding it for 10 secs or so and it should reset

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks a lot, i'll check it out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OverdoingIT said:
I have a CAI and my fuel consuption is the same if not better...as for the reset if the fuse trick doesnt work. Turn the car off...press and hold the trip meter button then turn the car off while holding it for 10 secs or so and it should reset

Thats for resetting the "Maintanence Required" light. To reset the Check Engine Light, someone already posted it. You have to pull the #13 Fuse on the passenger side fuse box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I checked the wiring for the ECT sensor, everything seemed to be fine.. went to Honda and got a replacement sensor instead they call it a TW (Water Temperature i believe?) sensor but its also #15 on that diagram, put it in, reset the CEL code and it just keeps coming back.. I have no idea how to get rid of it, or what could possibly be the error.

I know that the CEL came on right after I took out the stock air filter and put in the SRI, so is there any sensors or connections on the stock air filter that have been removed that could cause the CEL? or can you just remove the stock air filter without getting any codes?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I just checked Helm manual for trouble code P0117 (low voltage in ECT sensor circuit).
There couple things that they're checking for;
1. They checked ECT sensor.
2. They checked conductivity of the wiring from ECT sensor to the ground with engine turned off.

You already replaced your ECT sensor, so you’re good there.
To check conductivity you need to unplug connectors from ECT sensor and ECU, ECU plug is #3 from left side. See if there is conductivity between pin #2 (red/white wire) of the ECT sensor and the ground. If there is conductivity then you have short somewhere and it need to be fixed, but there is no conductivity then you probably got bad ECU.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks a lot honda 99, i'll check it out

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
What bugs me is the fact that the shop that installed it KNEW it was going to throw a CEL. You shouldn't be removing any sensors with an intake on these cars...

·
Registered
105 Posts
any time you change your intake you will get a check engine light on.... the ECU is going to sense the difference in the airflow.... the shop did nothing wrong... they told you up front that it was going to come on and it did... where is the problem with what the shop did...

who said that they disconnected any sensor.. all they did was install the intake.. the sensor is picking up the difference of more air entering the throttlebody.... this is causeing the light to go on...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts