Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advise......

I've got a 97 Accord V6. Originally the car was overheating. Swapped the radiator cap and thermostat....no help. Inspected the cooling system and found no leaks. Swapped the radiator, upper and lower radiator hoses...and transmission lines connecting to the radiator (just for the hell of it), flushed the transmission and topped off the cooling system, no help.

All of the normal symptoms of a blown head gasket were evident. White smoke from the exhaust, significant loss of power on the front-end in the lower rpm range, sporatic shifting between 3rd and 4th gear (have to let off the gas and accelerate slowly). However, common symptoms I did not see were oil in the coolant or heavy back pressure in the cooling system. Limited to the tools I have, I brought my car in to Honda. I knew I would pay a higher dollar there, but I felt they would be the most familiar with our unique 2.7L engine on this type of problem.

I told them to replace the timing belt and water pump to make sure that the water pump wasn't the cause of the overheating (still wouldn't explain the other symptoms). They said that the water pump looked pretty bad and was most likely the cause of the overheating. A compression test confirmed that there were no leaks in the cooling system. A leak-down test confirmed that the head gasket was not blown. They test drove the car and said everything was fine and that I could pick it up. Well, I picked it up on a Saturday right before they closed and started driving it home and sure enough, it started overheating for me. I pulled over let the engine cool down for about an hour, added some water back to the radiator and drove the last 5 miles home with it. They told me to bring it in and wanted to keep it overnight, reluctantly I did. They performed another leak-down test and confitmed cylinders 4 and 5 leaking at 100%. I demanded a refund at that point which I received.

I then got my car towed to a highly recommended local automotive repair center. This is where the car sits now. The car will no longer start. The mechanic thinks the ECU is bad and mentioned someone might have jumped it off wrong from the battery. He found a leak in a hose located under the distributor and topped off the cooling syem The problem is now...the car won't start. He says that it's definately an electrical problem and recommends replacing the ECU. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys and answer any questions concerning details that I might have left out to help me solve this problem. Any comments and advise is greatly appreciated. I'm lost on this one......

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
does the cluster come on when the ignition is tried ? starts and does not turn over ??
do you hear the fuel pump come on ( open trunk, remove carpet and have a buddy stick his head in there and put the car in igintion but do not turn )
check the plugs for oil residue.

I had a similar issue but is was the distributor. The unit was about to let go on me and acting similar to yours. the timing gets messed up.

you are really going to have to look at the firing order of the distributor cap at the same time, make sure there is not wrong plug wires plugged ...

If you are planning on keeping the car, I'd get the HELMS manual from Ebay on the 95-97 v6 supplement manual and do the work with a buddy since you'll save a ****load of money

good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Great news!! Blown head gasket.....as expected. I was posting to see if anyone has had any experience with replacing a head gasket on our cars b/c I'm considering doing it myself due to the labor intensity (10-12hrs labor...got several quotes between $800-$900...which would mean no headers for me). I've got the Chiltons Manual but need to know if there is anything else I should be looking for repair/replacement wise outside of sending the head to the shop. I'm gonna need some serious help with this one....hope you guys can pull through for me. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
does the cluster come on when the ignition is tried ? starts and does not turn over ??
do you hear the fuel pump come on ( open trunk, remove carpet and have a buddy stick his head in there and put the car in igintion but do not turn )
check the plugs for oil residue.

I had a similar issue but is was the distributor. The unit was about to let go on me and acting similar to yours. the timing gets messed up.

you are really going to have to look at the firing order of the distributor cap at the same time, make sure there is not wrong plug wires plugged ...

If you are planning on keeping the car, I'd get the HELMS manual from Ebay on the 95-97 v6 supplement manual and do the work with a buddy since you'll save a ****load of money

good luck and let us know how it goes.
i am having this problem that your talking about.well it all started when i was putting on new fog lights and stupid me insted of hooking them up to the batt i hooked it up to the windsheild wiper fuse. it was woking fine for about 2 day but yesterday i was on the highway and i had the fog lights and i put on the head lights. then i think the car lost gas pressure but it didn't cut off. when i got it to the side of the road and turned it off and tried to start it the cluster doesn't come on when the ignition is tried and it want to starts and does not turn over plus the fog lights doesn't come on and windows don't work. i checked all the fueses under the hood and in the fuse box nothing was bad.i also saw that the heater hose under the distributor cap had a small leak. so right now iam thinking it could be the fuel pump but that makes no sense because theres no lights on the dash or a wire could be grounding or their could be water in the distributor. so any ideas!
plus i changed the bulbs from 55watts to 100 wats

1 - 4 of 4 Posts