Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know A EGR block off plate ...Well...Blocks it off but is that supposed to give you better peformance ...Somebody help me !! What is the down side to them?? :confused:

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
You can not use them on the 7th gen since the ecu now senses the actualy flow of the exhaust return gases, the 6th gen you might be able to get away with it. Basically the EGR (Exhaust Gas Return) system allow some exhaust to be returned back to the engine thru the valve and back into the intake for emissions, now the down side to this is you are also now sucking in some hot exhaust gas back into the intake raising you air charge temps a bit as well as "Dead" air since it is already full of spent fuel as well as full of exhaust carbon. The only down side is possible emissions testing issues, but you just remove the blocking plate just before you go in for testing. I used to use a piece of 18-22 gauge aluminum and cut it to match the ouline and mounting holes of a EGR gasket and put it between the valve and the gasket, that way if you ever get pulled over and visually inspected the valve is still there and the piece of aluminum just looks like the gasket maerial.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thats a good idea but it won hurt your car will it....it will just keep hot air from going in and baically giving you a little performance right....what would you do with the wire comin from the EGR it would look ugly just hangin there

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Ok thats a good idea but it won hurt your car will it....it will just keep hot air from going in and baically giving you a little performance right....what would you do with the wire comin from the EGR it would look ugly just hangin there
Hook it back up, other wise you will get a code for the EGR lift sensor. It won't hurt anything on you engine or the EGR valve, but it may throw a code if the 6th gen watches EGR flow like the 7th gen, but I don't think so since the 6th gen does not have wideband O2 sensors like the 7th gen.

·
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6
3,407 Posts
No, the 6th gen will throw a code as well. Mine is blocked, not b/c I want to but b/c the car misfire fires if it isn't blocked off and is connected. Still not sure why.

·
+2 cylinders
242 Posts
I think our 6th gen egr monitor runs a flow test. it opens the valve while coasting and watches for a MAP rise. probably would get a DTC for insufficient flow. there's one way to find out!

·
Metal Shop, NJ
295 Posts
hey black, your throwing the code because you egr port in ur upper intake manifold is probaly clogged, 6th gen av6 monitor flow, you'll throw a insuff flow code,

The problem with the egr clogging, is resolved, there is a tsb and an egr pipe kit, you end up using a special drill bit to make the hole in the upper manifold bigger then you gently hit a pipe in and replace the valve.

You cant block it, unless you can trick the computer, which is more of a pain in the ass then anyone wants to deal with, especially for egr.

·
Metal Shop, NJ
295 Posts
6th gen 4cyl do as well, they are actually the worst ones, because when the intake clogs, its really clogs.

I have had some 4cyl 6th gen accords that needed the intake replaced because running a coat hanger through didnt help enough.

most of the time a honda egr valve doesnt go bad the ports and piping clog.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
I remeber drilling out the plugs in H22 and F22 manis to clean out the EGR ports, then using freeze plugs to refill the holes.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
hey black, your throwing the code because you egr port in ur upper intake manifold is probaly clogged, 6th gen av6 monitor flow, you'll throw a insuff flow code

He's throwing a code because his is blocked. He said he doesn't necessarily want it to be...but it has to be otherwise he gets misfires.

·
Metal Shop, NJ
295 Posts
He's throwing a code because his is blocked. He said he doesn't necessarily want it to be...but it has to be otherwise he gets misfires.
i miss read his post, he is probaly getting misfires because the valve is stuck open, when its command shut, this happens on most other makes and models as well,
i would test the valve with standard procedures to see what the problem actually is, because if u get misfires when ur egr is in a normal condition and not blocked on purpose, most likely there is an egr problem whether the computer reports it or not.

i've had this problem with many mazda's where it would misfire at idle but not underload or at higher rpms, and it was a bad egr valve.

G

·
is there no option to block/deactivate the egr valve?

is it possible to modify the egr to connect a fresh air flow instead of the exhaust flow? (blocking the exhaust and adding a fresh air supply with an adapter.)

therewith it is possible to trick the flow test, isn't it?

·
hmmm what next?
2,785 Posts
ok i must not be reading this right so you guys completely blocked both sides of the valve or just one side? also i agree with witwe is it possible to grab fresh air and not clog the intake with all that carbon because anyone ever stick there finger at the end of the tail pipe, yeah thats what is going back in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hook it back up, other wise you will get a code for the EGR lift sensor. It won't hurt anything on you engine or the EGR valve, but it may throw a code if the 6th gen watches EGR flow like the 7th gen, but I don't think so since the 6th gen does not have wideband O2 sensors like the 7th gen.
You can not use them on the 7th gen since the ecu now senses the actualy flow of the exhaust return gases, the 6th gen you might be able to get away with it. Basically the EGR (Exhaust Gas Return) system allow some exhaust to be returned back to the engine thru the valve and back into the intake for emissions, now the down side to this is you are also now sucking in some hot exhaust gas back into the intake raising you air charge temps a bit as well as "Dead" air since it is already full of spent fuel as well as full of exhaust carbon. The only down side is possible emissions testing issues, but you just remove the blocking plate just before you go in for testing. I used to use a piece of 18-22 gauge aluminum and cut it to match the ouline and mounting holes of a EGR gasket and put it between the valve and the gasket, that way if you ever get pulled over and visually inspected the valve is still there and the piece of aluminum just looks like the gasket maerial.
On a 2000 Honda accord v6 will this show a code

·
Registered
3 Posts
On a 2000 ,Honda accord v6 will it show a code

1 - 18 of 18 Posts