Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
electricvolts said:
Which has better fuel Mileage?

Im thinking of selling my Accord v6 sedan and getting a second hand Evo 8, I know the Evo is turbo and the Accord is NA/ but for everyday sensible driving too and from work, which one saves more gass?
I would have to say the Accord hands down, especially on the freeway. The Evo doesn't make almsot 300hp by using less fuel, plus it has all-wheel drive which undoubtedley lowers fuel economy.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I remember watching Top Gear show and one of topics there were MPG's. Evo 8 had lowest MPG out of all cars they drove on that show and they had any exotic race cars that you can name and then more.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
Jeremy emptied the Ford GT's tank in like 20 or 30 some miles. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
electricvolts said:
Which has better fuel Mileage?

Im thinking of selling my Accord v6 sedan and getting a second hand Evo 8, I know the Evo is turbo and the Accord is NA/ but for everyday sensible driving too and from work, which one saves more gass?
accord hands down in the saving gas department...with that said, the evo is a blast to drive, if you are just looking for something easy on the gas bill then keep the accord, but if you don't mind running premium gas and want something quicker and fun, get an evo...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
you can not compare both cars because they are very different. the accord is designed to be the best mix of everything in luxury, style, comfort.
im averaging about 19-20 mpg in my evo...thats with a mix of freeway and street driving. and it only takes premium, where as in my 7th gen...i put 87 octane in there and got around 22-23 mpg. after a month of owning it, you really dont care about the mpg anymore because its such a fun car to drive.
if youre really looking to get an evo, i would heavily suggest the 2005 model because they have the 10.5mm hotside and make more power than the 03 and 04 models. or if u can, spring for an 06 evo ix model which has a bigger turbo thats made from magnesium and make more power than any evo viii models.
what i love about the car is that power is really really easily made. where as in the accord, the engine was designed to be economical, and we'd jump for joy for a mod that add 5whp.
a stock evo dynos in at 220-230whp and almost everyone with minor bolt on breaks the 300whp mark easily.
since my car is a daily driver, i want to stay in the 300-350whp range...and im expecting to hit around 330-350whp with just downpipe, hi flow cat, catback, boost controller, cams, fuel pump, injectors, and tuned with s-afc.
and parts for the car are abundant, if anything your wallet will run low before you run out of parts to buy, lol. and since there are a bunch of evo owners out there, you can buy used parts and save some money! those guys are rich, haha. they burn through parts every couple of months and sell them for 50% off. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
accord will save you money and gas.
If you keep the accord you wont upgrade it like a evo.
The accord will save you gas money if that matters to you.
Both are different cars the accord you can only do so much, and the evo you can upgrade that till you live in it.
If saving money is you main reason keep the accord.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
and also, the evo is more expensive to maintain than the accord. oil changes are more, replacing the stock parts cost more since they come with the good stuff already, lol. example: replacing stock tire is about $230 a pop (and thats with a group buy hehe). i do sometimes miss the interior and features of the accord, ie xm radio, heated seats :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I have both a 2003 Evo which I drive back and forth to work a total of 20 miles a day, and while I do drive it spirited, I get about 15 mpg. The Accord is my wife's she drives alot more miles than I do and it's a combination of city/highway. I usually fill it up for her, and it seems to get about 24 mpg, but she also has a lead foot.

Mike

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
mikenjulie2 said:
Yes I have both a 2003 Evo which I drive back and forth to work a total of 20 miles a day, and while I do drive it spirited, I get about 15 mpg. The Accord is my wife's she drives alot more miles than I do and it's a combination of city/highway. I usually fill it up for her, and it seems to get about 24 mpg, but she also has a lead foot.

Mike
Pretty similar to what I get, but considering your avatar is a turbo why not get one then :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at an 03 or 04 (forget which) Evo with 24k miles before I bought my AV6.

Evo pluses: AWD, mod-ability (already turbo'ed), cachet (it's an Evo!), speed, handling
and a better MT shifter IMO, far more composed in the turns, chicks dig it, preferred parking at a lot of nightclubs.

Minuses: Maintenance on an evo: Tires every 10-20k @ $800+, premium fuel (220-240 miles a tank), insurance ($$$$$), ride (bad), interior (cheap and cramped), brakes (owners are getting 20k out of a stock set of pads and the rotors cannot be machined), warranty (mitsu dealers are notoriously bad about denying Evo claims due to "abusing the car"), and that ugly monstrosity of a rear wing. (not my style, i like the MR/RS look better.) Also, evo gear ratios are not really street-friendly, expect to do a lot of shifting if you are stuck in traffic.

I'm real happy with my 06 AV6 6MT sedan -- it's not an evo but it's fast enough for me, and far more "livable" as a daily driver. The evo is a great weekend warrior but you're going to get tired of it real quick if you drive it to work every day.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
mitsu dealers are notoriously bad about denying Evo claims due to "abusing the car"
its not up to the dealership to say what is abused or not...mitsubishi sends out their own ppl from teh headquaters and determined if the car is abused or not. a lot of dealerships are really mod friendly...my friend is having his car replaced for a new clutch right now and hes on the 20G turbo, and the clutch theyre putting in is exedy.

Tires every 10-20k @ $800+
again determined base on driving. to get new tires at 10k, u must have really bad camber and be auto x all the time. most owners avg about 20-25k per set and thats with hte monthly trip to the tracks.

preferred parking at a lot of nightclubs.
haha its on an M or AMG bro

insurance ($$$$$)
one of the reasons i got the evo was because it was the cheapest car to insured out of the 8 i looked at, g35coupe, 350z, s2000, volvo s60r, sti, and rsx-s are all more to insured than the evo.

The evo is a great weekend warrior but you're going to get tired of it real quick if you drive it to work every day.
my evo is a daily driver and i love every minute of it. just went over 10,000 miles today in 5 months of owning it from brand new. couple of my friends who are older than i am bought new cars to carry their clients around, e55, m5, cars of that caliber, and is still not selling the evo.

and that ugly monstrosity of a rear wing. (not my style, i like the MR/RS look better.)
how are u going to not like the wing and like hte mr model? :confused:
the rs is the only one w/o the actual wing. and fyi..the wing comes off in about 5 mins. and for those that dont know, the hwole wing is cf so u can sand it down for the all cf look :)

Also, evo gear ratios are not really street-friendly, expect to do a lot of shifting if you are stuck in traffic.
im in so cal, on freeways alot during traffic jam and its not that bad

nterior (cheap and cramped),
interior is indeed cheap, but not cramped...along with the accord, the evo is rated as one of the top 10 spacious cars for tall drivers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your input guys, im still deciding what to do, It seems ill be spending more by getting an Evo and that’s the main problem. I’m looking for something faster and either RWD or 4wd but also not to heavy on the bills.

I live in Thailand and the Evo is only an import model whereas the accord v6 is made here so it avoids the crazy import tax we have. A second hand Evo 8 is the same price as a new Honda accord. I’m willing to get one but if servicing and gas bills will cost me more in the long run then I think I better stick with the accord. I used to use my uncles Evo III before I got my Car and it was much more fun to drive than the accord.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
electricvolts said:
Thanks for your input guys, im still deciding what to do, It seems ill be spending more by getting an Evo and that’s the main problem. I’m looking for something faster and either RWD or 4wd but also not to heavy on the bills.

I live in Thailand and the Evo is only an import model whereas the accord v6 is made here so it avoids the crazy import tax we have. A second hand Evo 8 is the same price as a new Honda accord. I’m willing to get one but if servicing and gas bills will cost me more in the long run then I think I better stick with the accord. I used to use my uncles Evo III before I got my Car and it was much more fun to drive than the accord.
gas in thailand costs more than they do in the states as well. why dont u just get a colt and buy the evo front clip :) or just custom turbo your accord? theres like 2 hks plantations in thailand and when i was there to visit my family in the summer, everything on the road was turbo'd lol or maybe you can find a used evo vii? evo vii-viii-ix are ultimately the same car, 4g63 engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts