Accord V6 Forum banner

Fender liner

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jfuredy 
#1 ·
On the way to the Labor Day BBQ, I was on the freeway, at about 80mph, when this horrible noise occured. I look in my rear view and see an inner fender liner laying in the road. Hot crap, I thought, how did I not see that? Maybe it was the wife and I were checking the passenger window, which was giving off a wind noise. Then I remembered that when I was under the car chasing a fluid leak, I had noticed that that liner was very loose, and this was the first time I had had the car up to that speed. Oh, jeez, was that my fender liner? At my destination, I looked, and sure enough, it was my liner! I want to replace it, so went to the Honda dealer and got the part number.
On the bright side, I found the leak, I think. On the right side, just inside the front air dam, a tube meets a hose. The clamp holding it together, and all around it, was wet with red fluid that I was thinking was tranny fluid, but the Honda parts guy showed me a parts drawing and said that is a power steering connection. Oh, that's why the PS steering fluid was so low. So much for the "expert technician" who had told me there was no sign of an active leak when he had it on a lift. I found it laying in my driveway! I do like the car, though. Not as much as I did my '94 Acura Legend Coupe, but like it nonetheless.

#4 ·
Another update: When I moved the car in the driveway, I saw, to my horror, another large oil stain. I thought I was done with that, but it was in a different location, and very large, so I jacked it up again, and crawled under it, again, only to find it was still pouring out tranny fluid. There was a lot of it, still dripping. I took it to a garage I go to sometimes, and they put it up on a lift, and lo and behold, it was expelling tranny fluid alright. I contacted the shop that had done the trans work and they said I have to get it to their shop on my dime. $175.00 later, it's there now. I think that shop was the reason the fender liner came out, cause doing the tranny work, they removed it for better access, then did a quick n' dirty re-install that failed. I'm waiting for their call.

#5 ·
Got the car back. Apparently there was a faulty O-ring in the tranny cooler. That's there story, anyway. They were reluctant to reimburse me for the tow, but when I insisted, they did, after attempting to bargain for half. Ha! All of it! Took the car to another shop, put it up on the lift. They did an apparently good job, but we'll see. They denied any responsibility for the fender liner, tho, and Cal-Trans says it's gone. Aftermarket, here I come. But, the car runs great!

#8 ·
I tried the cheap inner fender liners shown on RockAuto.com's website for my 06 Accord Coupe, and they were awful! I could not get them to fit at all, and ended up reusing one that was only slightly damaged, and buying the OEM version for the other. It wasn't even just that the holes didn't line up. I just couldn't get them to fit the fender line without sticking out and looking horrible. $9 each for the cheap ones, versus $40 for OEM at the time.

Maybe try checking your local junk yards. You could probably get one for just a couple of bucks if you can find one.

VARIOUS MFR HO1249117 Inner Fender
VARIOUS MFR HO1248117 Inner Fender

Reactions: CharlieBravo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.