Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after driving for like over 6 months with it.
I bearly use the 5th gear.
I usually go from 1-2-3 then to 6th in city driving.
if on the highway then I use 3-4 then to 6th....

when do you guys use your 5th gear?
or do you even use it at all?

What is your driving habit with a 6 speeds?

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
go through all my gears. never skip any.

6th is definately my cruising gear though, at any speed above 30 mph.

·
I'm stupid with cars
610 Posts
you go to 6th gear at 30mph?? :confused:

i usually shift at under 3rpm

edit: does anyone's 3rd gear feel kinda funky? mine doesn't seem to 'click in' all the way sometimes...

·
863 Posts
^^ holy ****, me too. sometimes, i have to give it that extra oomph. like i need to have it click twice before letting out the clutch.

I find myself in 5th a lot of times cause I'm still under 4k on the freeway, and well, i stupidly forget I have a six speed (waaaaay too many years driving 5 speeds). I'll also use 5th when on the freeway passing traffic, with the ac on, going up a hill.

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
Showtime said:
you go to 6th gear at 30mph?? :confused:

i usually shift at under 3rpm

edit: does anyone's 3rd gear feel kinda funky? mine doesn't seem to 'click in' all the way sometimes...

I've had a similar problem. Doesn't really happen often though.

I also try to shift at or below 3k rpms, and use 5th as my cruising gear after I pass 40mph. I try to keep it below 2k rpms on residential and local roads, considering the traffic in my area - it is easy to waste a LOT of gas.

I'll only really use 6th when I'm above 50 or on the highway.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
3rd gear for me is fine, just find the throw tooo long so i end up grinding if i shift lazy or slow.

yeah i just go through the gears really quickly (under 10 secs) and just end up in 6th cruising at a set speed above 30 mph. revs at that point ar 1200-1500 rpm.

if i want to go faster i downshift. see no issues with doing that.

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
I go through all gears and use 6th a lot on the freeway. I downshift from 6th to 4th when getting ready to pass, slow down or pull on someone who's tailgating me. I used 6th gear at 30mph or more in the beginning but now I just leave it in 4th gear or 5th gear when cruising the streets. When my car was fairly new, I shifted at 3k rpms but now I just listen to my engine and shift when I feel like it...I don't watch the tach any more unless I'm playing games with someone. :D No problems with the tranny...still as slick as when I first bought her and I'm close to 32k miles now. :drive: :burnout:

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
I jus started drivin mine today, FINALLY GOT MINE!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT~!!!!!!!

I do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 at 1st to get used to the car

after a while, i started doin 1, 2, 4 or 1, 2, 5

I only used 6th on highway. Local for me is usually around 45, so 4th or 5th is good. 4th just has better pickup but lower gas milage. I bet things will change afta I get more familiar w/ the car. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
6th gear at 30mph seems a little underpower. But I guess it depends on the driving habit. When I am driving around 65 to 80 mph on the freeway, I always use either the 4th or the 5th. 6th gear at 65mph didn't give me enough power and feedback, kind of like the car is less responsive. You really have to step on the gas to get it move faster when you need to go faster. On the other hand, if you are on the 5th, it will give you better power-responsive feedback. I guess I am just an aggressive driver, but I don't redline my car. I always keep it under 5000 rpm. Anyone feel the same?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do sometimes, but not all the time. That's why I said I "try to", lol. Anyways, you could really feel the power above 4000 rpm, especially with 6MT (proud :))

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
geez u guys shift early! im always cautious not to lug my engine. 6th at 30mph seems a little silly to me, but each to their own ;D

its not a bad thing to push your engine from time to time. it helps burn off deposits in your engine

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
OwAce said:
3rd gear for me is fine, just find the throw tooo long so i end up grinding if i shift lazy or slow.

yeah i just go through the gears really quickly (under 10 secs) and just end up in 6th cruising at a set speed above 30 mph. revs at that point ar 1200-1500 rpm.

if i want to go faster i downshift. see no issues with doing that.

wow 6th gear at 30... isnt that bad for the car???
for me it feels like my cars about to die or stall.. im only at 6th when im goin 50mph or faster

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use all the gears, everyday. I hang out in 6th as much as possible...Usually anything over 45mph

I also shift at the "recommended" shift points found in the owners manual

1- 15mph
2- 25 mph
3- 40mph
4- 47 mph
5- 52 mph

I get 400+ miles to the tank doing this, which means i only have to fillup once every two weeks or so, and with gas being 2.50 (93 octance :D ) in florida, getting good mpg helps keep cost down. I never really open it up...maybe once or twice a week and usually keep at at 65-70 when highway cruising(learned my lesson from tons of speeding tickets :D )..Dont have any problem shifting to 3rd...

·
Nothing special
838 Posts
According to Honda of America, 6th should not be used below 40-45mph. Once you drop below that speed, the engine is actually under extreme stress to pull, or increase speed. Essentually the engine is not able to breath enough, which will cause carbon and sludge to build up on the engine internals- esp the valves... which means you will loose power over time.

If you think you are saving gas by using 6th gear at lower speeds, think again. If you are in a lower gear and have to dig deep into the throttle to increase your rate of speed, its actually more efficient to downshift and use less throttle.

Here is the rule of thumb- once you are in a gear, give it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. If the car does not pick up speed unless you hold the throttle for several seconds, you need to downshift.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
never use 6th gear to actually increase speed, its literally more of the gear that i just pop it into to stay neutral, like say i was going 40 mph in a 30 mph zone, ill just pop it into 6th and just let the car go the way it was.

if i ever do need to speed up i usually drop it into 3rd.

car does get its daily dose of vtec when i hit the on ramp to 91. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cruising velocity: under 40 = 5th, over 40 = 6th.
Accelerating standstill: 1-2-3-6
Accelerating highway merge from ramp:2-3-6
4th is the gear I seem to avoid. Since 3rd will take you to 90mph, and you can cruise in a 30-35 zone in 5th, I use 4th only when cruising in a 25 zone or when going uphill in a 30 or as a downshift on the highway for a quick pass. That's about .000001% of the time I drive, so I rarely use it.

Merging onto route 1 (55mph) from a stop sign can be a 1-2-6! GO-GO-GO-GO-cruuuuuiiiissssseeeeeeeee.

J

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
why do you guys miss gears when shifting? as in 1-2-3-6? why not use 4 or 5? dont get it, i always enjoy going through gears and miss not being able to go higher than 6.

my guess is less wear on the gear synchros if you skip those gears altogether?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cruising velocity: under 40 = 5th, over 40 = 6th.
Accelerating standstill: 1-2-3-6
Accelerating highway merge from ramp:2-3-6
4th is the gear I seem to avoid. Since 3rd will take you to 90mph, and you can cruise in a 30-35 zone in 5th, I use 4th only when cruising in a 25 zone or when going uphill in a 30 or as a downshift on the highway for a quick pass. That's about .000001% of the time I drive, so I rarely use it.

Merging onto route 1 (55mph) from a stop sign can be a 1-2-6! GO-GO-GO-GO-cruuuuuiiiissssseeeeeeeee.
ya I kinda drive like that too... :and1:
I skip gears all the time...I am such a noob at manual...so I hope that will not causes problem in the end. :crash:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts