Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting some new front door speakers but dont know the measurements, can some one help me please??? im thinking about getting a component system, i have a 01 V6 2DR...thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
when i replaced mine... i thiknk tey are 6 inch speakers, i got jl audio. i took it all apart and installed both of them, put it back together and found that my windows would only go halfway down. the magnet was to big, so i took it back apart did a little customizing on the plastic thing that houses te speakers and all is well now

·
Registered
647 Posts
if you get some bigger than the factory ones you wil have to do something to make them fit in the plastic housing so you dont run into the same problem i had, all i did was take the platic peice out, cut the back off of it so that its just the outer ring to mount back in with, cut it so that it will open up wider and then screw it back in, it looked really shi*** but who cares you cant see it and it worked just fine,

you might not understand what im talking about until you actually see how it is set up inside the door panel;

·
Registered
638 Posts
mike_d said:
if you get some bigger than the factory ones you wil have to do something to make them fit in the plastic housing so you dont run into the same problem i had, all i did was take the platic peice out, cut the back off of it so that its just the outer ring to mount back in with, cut it so that it will open up wider and then screw it back in, it looked really shi*** but who cares you cant see it and it worked just fine,

you might not understand what im talking about until you actually see how it is set up inside the door panel;
mine were actually bigger than that lol. i had to buy a 1" spacer to fit my components in there. it barely fits, there's about 1-2mm gap in between my window and the magnet.

but, ya... if you run into trouble fitting a speaker go to circuit city and buy speaker spacers. they're only like $10 i think

·
Registered
655 Posts
just go to crutchfield.com and select the vehicle you have and they will give you a list of available speakers that will fit, as well as instructions on how to install them. You dont have to buy through them, just use them as reference to look up the models they give you at different locations. Thats what i do. I usually go to etronics.com to get my stuff, good prices, and fast shipping too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spectro said:
just go to crutchfield.com and select the vehicle you have and they will give you a list of available speakers that will fit, as well as instructions on how to install them. You dont have to buy through them, just use them as reference to look up the models they give you at different locations. Thats what i do. I usually go to etronics.com to get my stuff, good prices, and fast shipping too.

i just talked to crutchfield and the rep told me that they dont list all the speakers that "could" fit on there web site....im looking at getting Infinity 60.7cs which have a depth of 2.7 and said that i would need a spacer to make the Infinity 60.7cs fit...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mao said:
i just recently got infinity references.

6.5 is the size you're looking for.

did you get the Infinity Reference 6002i??? was the install easy??? did you hook them up to an amp too???

·
Registered
22 Posts
greenzzz said:
did you get the Infinity Reference 6002i??? was the install easy??? did you hook them up to an amp too???
I am using the Infinity Reference 6010cs (similar depth as the coax version). The install wasn't particularly difficult, but was not a straight drop in procedure either. I run them amplified.

In my humble opinion, darn near nothing fits into the factory location without some kind of modification. I don't know why it is so hard to find pictures to explain what you will find inside that door. That said, I didn't stop to take pictures either. So here goes the quick explanation:

The factory speakers are mounted to a water shield/shroud, which is mounted to the door panel. The shroud is sized for a 6" round speaker, and is maybe 2" deep. For my Infinity speakers (2 1/16" deep) I had to use an included metal adapter ring with two layers of Raammat to properly space the speaker. 6 1/2" speakers, like these Infinity models, run into clearance issues with the basket sides hitting the shroud, as well as the depth problem.

To eliminate the clearance issues you can either cut the back off of the splash shield, or make a new mount out of MDF (you could use a foam baffle in conjunction with the MDF mount to retain some measure of water sheilding). Make sure the speakers are not so far back as to interfere with the window, and not so far forward as to contact the door trim panel. I am not sure how much usable depth there is beyond the original shroud.

A lot depends on your access to materials, your skill, and your determination. You may want to approach it by finding a set of 6 1/2" speakers that you like, and then do what is needed to install them. If you want any chance of using the factory mounts (thus avoiding making an MDF mount) look for a shallow speaker, the shallower the better (top mount depth is the number that matters here).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts