Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, a bit confused here.

I called Honda, they said the front door speakers on my 03 Accord EX are 6.5".

I see mixed results on google when I try to search.

Some say 6.5", some say 5.25".

So what's actually in here? 6.5" or 5.25"?

I'm wanting to run some polk audio 5.25", 6x9"s in the back, and 3.5" in the dash.

I don't want to drop in something that requires any modification, just want some drop in speakers.

Crutchfield doesn't actually tell me what comes factory, it just gives me suggestions from 5.25" - 6.50".

also anyone know the mounting depth of the stock speakers? My owner's manual conveniently doesn't provide me with all of this information.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wanna say the stock speakers are 6.5, but i cant quite remember...
whatever speaker you get, they don't just drop in there. you will need a bracket to mount them.
the stock speakers have clips that snap into place on the door. you might be able to get away installing 5.25's w/o a bracket, but you will still be screwing the speakers into new holes in the metal. i personally used 6.5's + brackets, so somebody please correct me if i'm wrong....
it doesnt take that much work, just hold the speaker up and mark where you can drill pilot holes for the screws.
where the hell are you gonna mount 3.5's in the dash?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanna say the stock speakers are 6.5, but i cant quite remember...
whatever speaker you get, they don't just drop in there. you will need a bracket to mount them.
the stock speakers have clips that snap into place on the door. you might be able to get away installing 5.25's w/o a bracket, but you will still be screwing the speakers into new holes in the metal. i personally used 6.5's + brackets, so somebody please correct me if i'm wrong....
it doesnt take that much work, just hold the speaker up and mark where you can drill pilot holes for the screws.
where the hell are you gonna mount 3.5's in the dash?
thanks. guess I'll find some 6.5's, just hope i get the right mounting depth.

the little 3.5"s go up in the corners if i'm not mistaken? there's little grilles in the corner of the dash on both driver and side. bestbuy fitment guide says that 3.5" goes there for the little tweeters. couldn't be any other size, because I had speakers in my 93 mustang gt in the dash, and they were 3.5" too, these grilles are similar in size, so I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, if someone else would weigh in?

·
M!©[email protected] ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
2,600 Posts
I currently have 5.25 Polk DB525 installed in my front doors. Installed them with American International HSB-518 Speaker Adapter (search on Amazon) and Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harness. No drilling or wiring splicing. Plug-n-Play.

No sure about the 3.5" speaker in the dash. I thought it was just a tweeter? :confused:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok after hours of googling, finally found out they are just a tweeter and not 3.5" . so that's pretty easy. be nice if the damn manufacturers would start giving the sizes of these speakers and their mounting depths in the manuals. they gotta make everything difficult.

dash tweeters - Drive Accord Honda Forums

·
Mr. Detail
1,134 Posts
I've got a pair of 6.5" Alpines I pulled out of a previous car. Actually was able to mount them in that one ('02 Maxima) in the factory location but I did have to do some trimming. Hopefully I can do the same with the front speakers in my '04 Accord. I've got the factory nav so I really don't want to yank all that out for a new HU but the speakers definitely could use an upgrade.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up getting polk audio 6.5" fronts, polk audio 6x9 for the rear and polk audio 1" tweeters for the front dash.

·
Mr. Detail
1,134 Posts
How's the sound?

·
Mr. Detail
1,134 Posts
How do you remove the door panels? It was a two minute job with my Maxima but the Accord has much nicer door panels so I want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk yet. Car has been in the shop since monday getting new piston rings, water pump, timing chain, spark plugs, thermostat, hd gskt, oil pan gasket, valve stem seals, valve cover gasket and serpentine belt.

Should get it back later today. If my buddy has time to do it, then he will be installing the new speakers today, if not probably wednesday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How do you remove the door panels? It was a two minute job with my Maxima but the Accord has much nicer door panels so I want to make sure I do it right.
Door panels are a 2-5 minute job. Look here.

Be very careful removing the cable from the clip behind the door pull. It breaks very easy if you twist the panel or drop it like I did.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, don't break the green door latch cable! Have a box or bucket underneath the door panel to rest it on. It literally will take you 2 min to remove the panel.

·
Mr. Detail
1,134 Posts
Door panels are a 2-5 minute job. Look here.

Be very careful removing the cable from the clip behind the door pull. It breaks very easy if you twist the panel or drop it like I did.
Thanks! I appreciate the link.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How's the sound?
Now that the speakers are all installed and i got my satellite radio working again (the module froze up and had to unplug it and replug it in) and i got my ipod cable fixed (pinched wire and bad connection on one of the rca's) it sounds AWESOME! God i forgot how good it was to have some good sounding tunes in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Door Panel

On my accord, there is a plastic or leather finish on the bottom of the door handle (I assume covering the cover plate and door panel attaching screws).

I couldn't find any info on this situation in the manual or online.

Any suggestions? I was going to upgrade the front speakers but don't need a big headache.

thx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts