Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my to work coming from my lunch. I was around two blocks away and there is a brand new Pontiac G6 GT in the right lane around a car length ahead. I considered this normal traffic and did not proceed to start anything with him. The car had an easter seal magnet on the back of it and there was a kid driving so I am guessing it was mom's car. Around 500 feet before the stop light he stomps on it and lets off. He looks back at my car and smiles. I wanted to see one of these cars in action so I decided to make a run at the red light. The light turns green and we both stomp on it. My tires let out a good screech and I bolt across the intersection. Surprisingly I immedietely was around 1/2 car length ahead and slowly pulling. I let off the throttle right after I got into 2nd at around 45mph. The kid looked shocked and pissed. I just kinda smiled and continued my way to work.

Are those cars really heavy or are they another case of a poor tuned V6? Cause if you look at the power numbers he should have beat me.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yes but those cars are pretty porky and the K24 engine isn't exactly weak sauce either for a 4 banger. I'm also sure his car wasn't broken in if it was new. I would be shocked too if I was beat by a 4cyl Accord with steel wheels :)

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
The kid in the G6 probably forgot to switch off the traction control :gapteeth:

The G6's 3.5L V6 makes most of it's power in the low-end and mid-range, so there's no way that an automatic K24 will pull on one off the line. The G6 GT is heavier by about 400 lbs, but that isn't enough to overcome it's torque advantage.

With your mods, I'm sure that you'd pull on one in the long run (like a quarter-mile race, or on the highway). But not off the line, which is why I think the kid forgot, or didn't know, to turn off the TCS :)

Good kill :up2:

Edit: Oh yea, it's also possible that you had the better R/T at the light. If you take off a fraction of a second sooner than someone else from a dig, you'll have a pretty good lead from the start (if they have a car that's similar in power and speed to yours)

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Sounds like driver error (left on traction control). Good kill :up2:

BTW: I would never want to run into a G6 GTP 6 speed :bolt: .

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Plumaccordcoupe said:
BTW: I would never want to run into a G6 GTP 6 speed :bolt: .
:laugh: No kidding!

According to my best guesses in CarTest, the G6 GTP 6-speed should run mid-14's, more than quick enough to destroy a 6G AV6 like ours :p :eek: :(

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
^ hehe, I saw that vid, too. My AV6 is a lot quicker to 60 than that thing :p Then again, that was a base G6, which is slower than the GT. The GT has a shorter final drive ratio than the base G6 for better acceleration off the line.

·
Something Something Darkside
4,499 Posts
Did it have a V6 badge? I've seen a G6 GT with a V6 badge so I'm assuming the I4's don't have one. G6 GT V6: say that 5x fast. :whew:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts