Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 hrs of work and a small cut on my pointing finger later, i have constant power supplied to my nav w/o wires showing. i hate the sight of wires. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! yea, i'm really anal about keeping the stock look. plus is still use the cubby to hold my ipod (plays via usa spec thingy).

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
eh...

that's mounted way too low.

I had mine hardwired on the dash on the left side. I find it too dangerous to look down and drive at the same time. You should remount it some where higher, like at eye level.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i prefer it to be higher @ eye level too, but i didnt want it sitting on the dash. tried it out last night - it isnt too low for me since the unit actually speaks all the turn by turn directions; and i dont look down often.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cucubing said:
Wow, could share how did you install the navi?
How much you spent? That's badass man~!~~
I actually bought the Nuvi 660 used off one of the guys off this forum last week! good price - $435 shipped to my door. Amazon is $600; retail stores ~$700.

how i installed was pretty straightforward, just time consuming b/c i'm anal and had to find a way to mount the nav's suction cup thingy to the inside of the cubby; this part was most time consuming. the suction wouldn't stick on the inside of the cubby like it would on a glass window.

i dont know how much detail you want me to get into, but here's the steps summarized. let me know if you want further details. i tried to take pix in the process, but kept forgetting :mad:

- buy an female cigarette lighter adapter (CLA)
- disconnect negative battery terminal
- remove shift boot panel, "not ashtray" thingy, and cubby
- splice "not ashtray" 's positive (red) wire
- tap CLA's positive (red) wire into "not ashtray" 's positive (red) wire
- ground CLA's negative (black) wire to a bolt that is connected to chassis.
[now you should have an add'l CLA]
- use power drill + bore bit to drill a clean hole in the back of cubby.
[this part takes time if you want the hole to be just the right size for your new CLA; too big and things will not look clean]
- slip CLA through hole you just created

from this point assuming all steps above went OK, you move on to figuring out how to mount the freakin suction cup thingy...

as i mentioned, the nav's suction wouldnt stick onto the inside of the cubby walls. what i did was cut a 4"x4" plastic sheet from an old CD case, and stick the plastic sheet onto the cubby's right side wall via velcro. now i have a 4"x4" flat smooth surface that the nav's suction can mount to.

whew. that's the jist. i'll see what pix i managed to take during the process when i get home. let me know if you guys want more detail.
:D

·
get'cha roll on...
1,449 Posts
damn - that thing retails for $799 at best buy. thats an awesome price.

im getting a tomtom 1XL today, and thinking of mounting it in the same place. it is pretty low down, but looks so sweet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, i could use it to be higher. but neatness-wise, mounting in the cubby is the best option in my opinion.

·
MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES
2,373 Posts
ahhh, your the guy that bought his Garmin. i was suppose to buy it first. lol. change of heart.

lookin' good. i just purchased the MIO C520. comin' to my front door soon. :)
for $303.00 woohoo!

·
MT Driver For Life...
175 Posts
I have a Nuvi 350 mounted in the same spot...still have to wire in power though (waiting on a replacement iPod cable so I can do both at the same time).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts