Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other night when I had my car on the lift that my oil pan and flex pipe were pretty scraped up from being so low all summer. So sometime before spring, I'll be having a machine shop fab me up a skid plate to protect my oilpan and exhaust. Just wondering if theres any interest out here for any other 6th geners?

As for material, I'll be checking out both 1/4" steel and 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum. Pricing is rough because I haven't talked to him yet, but probably in the vicinity of $200-350, which, if you think about it is nothing compared to what a new engine would be when you break your oil pan.

Anyway, let me know if any of you guys are interested, I'll be talking to the machinist first of the week to finalize a price/material etc. and then if theres enough interest, I'll talk to the mods about setting up some kind of group buy.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
if you break your oil pan...you could just get a new oil pan. i'm interested...and i actually wanted to try making something myself...but for $200 that's a bit steep for sheet metal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you break your oil pan...you could just get a new oil pan. i'm interested...and i actually wanted to try making something myself...but for $200 that's a bit steep for sheet metal.
If you break your oil pan, you lose all your oil and if its not caught within 10 seconds of this happening, kiss those engine bearings and rings goodbye.

And just for clarification, this isn't going to be sheet metal, this will be made out of thick hardened steel (same stuff aftermarket truck skid-plates are made from) or aluminum. I'm hopefully going to go with aluminum simply for light-weight and strength but I'll keep you updated.

·
CG1 Driver
797 Posts
hell yes im interested. my flex pipe of my header is leaking :( oh well its worth the slam haha. i hate my friends drive way.

i wonder if i put the skid plate on the flex pipe the sound will go away :(... i have a small hole in my flex pipe

·
Car Person Wanna-Be
623 Posts
yea id prefer aluminum...i dont want something heavy under my front end dragging my car down closer to the road, lol.

·
Supernova m33
394 Posts
great solution.... go slow over speed bumps. if people yell at you pull out the shotgun(which you bought instead of the skid plate) and ask if they have a problem. you can kinda go to their car(w/ shotgun) and explain that you have lowered your car and that they are not going to have to pay for engine work if you mess it up. or you can skip the whole shotgun thing and just flip them off as you take you jolly ole sideways moving a$$ over the speed bumps.

also, if you know your going to scrape somewhere why the fu*k are you going there? within all the cities i drive on a normal basis i know exactly where i am going to scrape so i do not go to those establishments or houses. that is one reason why i cannot go to KFC in corona anymore. i have a friend that is lowered and hits driveways and speed bumps wrong and he b|tches all the time about how bad that is for the engine. all i can tell him is, "well.... don't do that then..."

on a positive note. you can make the skid plate real heavy and maybe that will make my front fender gap equal to my rear.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great solution.... go slow over speed bumps. if people yell at you pull out the shotgun(which you bought instead of the skid plate) and ask if they have a problem. you can kinda go to their car(w/ shotgun) and explain that you have lowered your car and that they are not going to have to pay for engine work if you mess it up. or you can skip the whole shotgun thing and just flip them off as you take you jolly ole sideways moving a$$ over the speed bumps.

also, if you know your going to scrape somewhere why the fu*k are you going there? within all the cities i drive on a normal basis i know exactly where i am going to scrape so i do not go to those establishments or houses. that is one reason why i cannot go to KFC in corona anymore. i have a friend that is lowered and hits driveways and speed bumps wrong and he b|tches all the time about how bad that is for the engine. all i can tell him is, "well.... don't do that then..."

on a positive note. you can make the skid plate real heavy and maybe that will make my front fender gap equal to my rear.....
Do you honestly think these are going to be heavy enough to even lower your car 1/16" of an inch?! Have you ever lifted a sheet of 3/16" aluminum?? If I'm successful in getting these made out of aluminum, they wont weigh any more than 25lbs, steel- maybe 35-40. Don't know if youre trying to be smart or something, but I can almost guarantee you won't notice a difference ride height/driveability.

I see your point though, if you know somewhere you're going to bottom out, don't drive there...but thats pretty much a given. But what about sometime you're driving down the freeway and theres a huge rock in the middle of the road and you have ZERO time to react? Or sometime youre cruising around in an unfamiliar territory, you gonna scout it out first? Or that speedbump you advised me to drive over slowly. I've tried that, slower than a walk, at an angle, everything...and I still bottom out, as I'm sure many other people do. This is something that will not only protect from the everyday speedbumps and potholes you already know and try to avoid, but the inevitable rocks, debris and other things that could really bust your engine up.

And stupidaznmunkey, I realize a lot of you guys are from Socal, or other surrounding areas where the roads are endlessly smooth. I am not, I come from the east coast of Canada where our roads can get pretty brutal sometimes... Personally, thats why I'm getting mine made, because the roads are just too hard on my oilpan.

·
Supernova m33
394 Posts
if you made it out of cast iron.....

yes i was being a smart a$$

also. if you think cali roads are "endlessly smooth" then you need to take a trip out here. our roads are fu*ked! drive around LA and you'll feel right at home. that is another reason i dont go to LA.

and what kind of sh|t happens out there where you have huge rocks just laying around?

and one more thing... if you live in a country with roads from hell then why are you lowered so much?

and theres always time to react. just depends on how well you watch the road.

·
b20vem1
626 Posts
^ you need to get out of here wit that sh!t. everyone here is interested for a reason. just because you cant hang wit a dumped car. we dont need that kinda attitude around here cuhz.

·
A n g u s D e i
1,828 Posts
if you made it out of cast iron.....

yes i was being a smart a$$

also. if you think cali roads are "endlessly smooth" then you need to take a trip out here. our roads are fu*ked! drive around LA and you'll feel right at home. that is another reason i dont go to LA.

and what kind of sh|t happens out there where you have huge rocks just laying around?

and one more thing... if you live in a country with roads from hell then why are you lowered so much?

and theres always time to react. just depends on how well you watch the road.
^He makes some good points though.

& He's right, LA roads are messed UPPPPPP. And I scraped my Comptech headers because I was headed to downtown LA. This was on the freeway.. this IS a good idea.. but I don't feel like adding more weight to my car, IF it's going to be heavy.

·
Supernova m33
394 Posts
^ you need to get out of here wit that sh!t. everyone here is interested for a reason. just because you cant hang wit a dumped car. we dont need that kinda attitude around here cuhz.
how about you leave the ethug sh|t at the door. i am just messing with the guy. i am also stating that you need to have half a brain to drive a lowered car since you cannot go driving around like your in a 4x4.

but i guess a guy that says wit and cuhz just might not have half a brain. maybe you need a skid plate made out of titanium or tungsten????

now sorry for hijacking your thread man. it is a good idea. where do you think you are going to have the guy mount the skid plate. do you think custom holes will have to be drilled or use existing holes. and how much space will there be in between the headers/oil pan and the plate?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Not sure how good of an idea this will be.

Your basically guarenting that you will scrape the skid plate instead and how good will it be against bulking in, because then you just have the skid plate scrapping yur stuff :p

Still intersting though, kind of want to see how it will end up looking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now sorry for hijacking your thread man. it is a good idea. where do you think you are going to have the guy mount the skid plate. do you think custom holes will have to be drilled or use existing holes. and how much space will there be in between the headers/oil pan and the plate?

Apology accepted and thanks for getting this back on track. Ideally, I don't want to have to drill any more holes in the frame, I want it reasonably easy to take off (for oil changes and such) and of course light so its easy to take on and off and won't add much weight to the car. But these are all things I'm going to have to discuss with the machinist about when we're designing this.

Sorry this is taking so long to get some info, I've been trying to get my car up to his shop so he can get some measurements, figure out labour time and costs etc etc. but with school wrapping up for break, and exams piling on in the next 2 weeks, it may be after the new year before I have some definite info for you guys. Thanks for the enthusiasm and I hope this project is a success.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts