jl 500/1 amp
mb quart reference 6.5's and 6x9's
jl 300/4 amp
clean sweep
hi/low
wires and
install

total: $2450

u guys think thats a good deal? do i need anything else?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
honestly?....no....

with less than 2500 i can make a better sounding system. looking at the products ur going to buy....seems liek u are into sound quality...i would recomend a company called eD. they are really clean, and use the same baskets as CDT, which is another GREAT brand. jl and mb are overrated...i ahev the ref mb components in the front...they are nice...but the mids are too weak...so again...i would say no.

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
I believe you can get a better total price for those prods, but the equipment you are contemplating is very nice. I would personally stick with JL XR or VR series for your components all around (no need for 6x9s as they produce bass and you won't need any since you are getting a sub).

That setup is a good one, as I installed one of those in a buddy's car (exact same setup - but with JL everything). You will be satisfied with that.

Everyone has their own opinions about audio. So whether I think it's a good deal and someone else disagrees, none of it matters - if you have heard this setup and you like it (I love it! - thinking about doing something similiar in my own car), definitely see if you can get a lower price and go for it! IMHO, it really is a sweet and complete, system!

Edit: I meant ZR (not VR) above

·
aka XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
489 Posts
If your buying it all together you should get a better deal. Great selection in your setup.

·
yeaaaaaa
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i wont need a hi to low convertor if i get a cleansweep?

no i dont have a deck, i have the factory hu.

is eD cheaper than the jl and mb quart stuff? if ur suggesting to switch to eD, what exact stuff would compare with all the stuff i listed above?

and if i stuck with the jl and mb quart system i have listed above, then what price u guys think i can get it down to?

o and also, dymondawg, u say i should not replace the 6x9's or replace the 6x9's with 6.5's? so have 4 6.5's total?

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
neelio said:
i wont need a hi to low convertor if i get a cleansweep?

no i dont have a deck, i have the factory hu.

is eD cheaper than the jl and mb quart stuff? if ur suggesting to switch to eD, what exact stuff would compare with all the stuff i listed above?

and if i stuck with the jl and mb quart system i have listed above, then what price u guys think i can get it down to?

o and also, dymondawg, u say i should not replace the 6x9's or replace the 6x9's with 6.5's? so have 4 6.5's total?

Check the thread for information about the CleanSweep in this forum, should provide you with some good knowledge as to its function in your possible setup.

The price I would be trying to get down to would be around 2200 (tax included). Since you are buying all of the components at once, you have more bargaining power. You can certainly achieve that price because there is such a high markup on car audio equipment, no matter who the manufacturer is.

As for the speakers, I say you should replace 6x9s with 6.5" components and replace the front door speakers and tweeters and 6.5" components (or a 3-way setup with kick panels - 6.5" woofer in the door, 4" mid, and a 1" tweeter in kicks). By adding kick panels, it removes much of the sound from deflecting off of the front window and at your feet, to a smoother, linear transition to your ears. You can also use kicks for a two-way x-over system with the 6.5" woofer and tweeter in kicks - but then you're looking at a significant amount of foot space lost. However, you should only replace the rear speakers with 6.5s comps if you really want to improve your rear imaging. 6x9s in the rear would work just as well, you'd just get more bass production (which can be eliminated by the 300/4 amp).

Like I said, you're looking at some good equipment and with the amps you've chosen, you have an array of variables for interior speakers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i personally like your selection of products. i have both of those amps, and similar speakers but i have their top of the line Q-series, with 5.25" components all around. 6x9s are a waste of money...they move your soundstage too far to the rear of the car.

a single 12w6v2 will work fine...i have two 10w6v2 which gives me more punchy bass and more volume than a single 12w6v2.

if you get custom kickpanels then you can expect the price to go up about $1000. i hope your price was including install, because if not then youll be blown away at how much itll all cost to have installed.

What size wireing are they using? i say youd need 2 gauge at least, im running 1/0 and im splitting to 4 gauge to each amp. have them run a thicker cable from your alternator to the battery, and a thicker ground for the battery as well. itll help your electrical system hold up to the system.

look around for better prices...make sure you buy from an authorized dealer (warranty reasons) and that the install has a lifetime warranty, that way if theres any problems at all you have them deal with it.

and dont just take someones word for it on speakers. all speakers have a unique sound to them. different peoiple liek different characteristics in speakers as well. just becuase two speakers share a similar basket means nothing about how well its built or how it sounds. theres only a few manufacturers of baskets for subs, and lots of brands share similar basket designs...it means absolutely nothing.

to find the speakers you want...listen to them. go to car audio shows and ask to listen to different systems. speakers in showrooms dont help cus they dont give characteristics that those speakers will show in a car. see if the install shop has an install in progress that you can listen to. when i sold car audio, i sold large systems in groups...cus id take them out to hear their system already in another car...and it blew them away.

·
yeaaaaaa
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, thanks guys. thanks for all the advice.

i think im gonna go with the 6.5's all around either jl or mb quart not sure yet. and im definitely going to get the price down to 2200. yes the price i listed above is including installation and tax.

if i replace the door and rear speakers with 6.5's, should i replace the tweeters on the dash also? or will it not make much of a difference?

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
neelio said:
wow, thanks guys. thanks for all the advice.

i think im gonna go with the 6.5's all around either jl or mb quart not sure yet. and im definitely going to get the price down to 2200. yes the price i listed above is including installation and tax.

if i replace the door and rear speakers with 6.5's, should i replace the tweeters on the dash also? or will it not make much of a difference?

Oh... it'll make a whole-helluva-lotta difference!

If you want to retain your stock look, then don't change the tweeter location. For imaging purposes, removing the tweeter from the stock locale works wonders because you are no longer receiving a deflected sound. For instance, in my brother's 99 AV6 coupe, we flush-mounted tweeters in the doors and that created a new/much better/more accurate soundstage upfront.

You won't know what you're missing until you take the advice of going to car/sound shows or listening to similar setups to ensure you are getting what you want.

If you decide to go the component way, it would be better to place the tweeter closer to the door speaker (i.e. flush mounted in the door - angling upward if the tweeter has a swivel mechanism; the JL XR series tweets do). If you want to stick with Coaxials and the stock tweeter, then leave the tweeters where they lay.

Honestly, if you get the chance, take CustomGrandAm's advice and check out some setups and see what you like best.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Get what you want for sure is all i can say. I spent close to 4grand for my system, had it in the truck got it taken out, upgraded my amps, went from eclipse to mbquarts, then had it customly installd, i paid for all labor also, but thats not even wut really costd me. These speakers are fukn loud, not overrated at all, they are quality never had 1 problem. Dont forget to get a cap, and i would say fuk a clean sweep and get a nice HU.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ooh and i got those lil mb quart tweeters, i spent a good amount of money on those, i put um on the top right hand side on drivers side of the door, and top left hand side on passengers side. If you want i will take some pics in like an hour with the digi. I had um install um in the stock location at first, but those first mb quart tweeters werent loud enuf so i upgraded and got um put up on the side of the door. Now they are fukn loud and i berely turn um up, they are great. I recommend you buy some quality tweeters, and make sure you can hear um over your system.

·
My AV6 is all gone...
778 Posts
Theres tons of other/better quality products out there to choose from, especially in that price range. Sorry, but Im not a fan of the JL bandwagon here, but its not my car. Feel free to flame away JL fans..

As far as your rears, they should be used as Fill only, a set of components back there would be an utter waste of money. I agree ditch the 6X9s, and go with 6.5s, but coaxs would suit you fine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i still say get what you liek the sound of. if you like JLs then get em. hell, if you like optimus speakers then get em...its all what you like. I had auditioned many speakers and ive ownerd lots of different smaller brands products and i ended up liking the stuff that i have now more than any others.

I still say find a sound competition (sound quality preferred) and try to listen to some stuff. youll hear lots of different brands in all price ranges. dont let anyone tell you that what sounds good to you is crap, or that its overrated, or that youre hopping on the bandwagon. i hear that all the time with my system, but then i challenge them to find a better sounding system...and they usually cant.

·
My AV6 is all gone...
778 Posts
custom grand am said:
i still say get what you liek the sound of. if you like JLs then get em. hell, if you like optimus speakers then get em...its all what you like. I had auditioned many speakers and ive ownerd lots of different smaller brands products and i ended up liking the stuff that i have now more than any others.

I still say find a sound competition (sound quality preferred) and try to listen to some stuff. youll hear lots of different brands in all price ranges. dont let anyone tell you that what sounds good to you is crap, or that its overrated, or that youre hopping on the bandwagon. i hear that all the time with my system, but then i challenge them to find a better sounding system...and they usually cant.

The JL comments were targeted towards the people that buy it because it was on "Pimp my Ride" or in a celebritys car in a magazine ad. Similiar to a few other select brands, marketing is what has been selling alot of products. Although this may not apply to the poster of this thread, it is a common tradition now a days.

If someone is buying a product because they Like the product itself, then thats fine with me. By all means go for it..

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
custom grand am said:

:werd:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts