Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, need some non biased advice. Im getting rid of my 2003 WRX cause the gas consuption is just eating me alive. Fun car to drive, but im totally freaking sick of gasing up ever week. Not to mention, the manual tranny has lost its appeal *sorry, im a daily driver, not a street racer*

Anyhoo, im cosigning for a 00-02 Honda Accord coupe. Given that I HATE spending money for gas, I opted to go for a 4 cylinder which, the last time I test drove one, seemed to have decent torque and get up and go.

However, I remember back with my 98 V6 EX Sedan, that particular engine lacked serious torque. I was not impressed with how lacking the car was was with get up and go *at a dead stop, not to freaking street race mind you*

I also don't wanna spend as much as I did on the 98 with the V6. Am I shooting myself in the foot for not upping it up to the V6 or if Im just a daily driver and could car less about racing Joe Blow High School Dodge Neon 3foot spoiler ricer wannabe, will I be ok with the 4 cylinder?

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
:gotme:

On one hand you say you didn't like the performance of your 98 AV6, but if that's so then why in god's name would you get the 4-cylinder, especially an automatic? Believe me it's a ton slower. I don't street race anymore either, but I don't understand your logic. If you want decent get up and go and you don't want a manual tranny you're gonna need at least a V6 which will eat up gas.

You could just keep your WRX and learn to drive it a bit more efficiently. Short-shift at 2-3k, stay out of the boost, just hold higher gears whereas you would have downshifted before. If you stay off the boost you could probably even get by with regular gas instead of premium.

If you get a 4-cyl/auto Accord you're going to regret it.

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
:and1: :iagree: A car with a 4 cyl engine that is boosted can still yeild a good MPG if you dont drive it like your racnig it all the time. Don't go above 3-4k like Stevtec said...i have a buddy that has an EVO and drives it 30 miles one way to work everyday and has not compained once. You just know how to drive it when. And on your accelerations, ease it in, don't stomp on it all the time and use the cruise some as well (not sure if the wrx has it or not) but if it does that will keep your speed consistant and maximize fuel economy. And people always complain about premium gas over standard, but lets think about it really, 17 gallon tank, i pay 2.29 for regular here, and 2.49 for premium. So if I fill up with regular it is 38.93 and if I run premium it is 42.33...that is a WHOPPING difference of 3.40 cents (just a little more than the price of one gallon of gas, not quite 2 though) so that is nearly irrelivant, you could even go to midgrade and still not have the cheapest stuff in but would save 1.70 per tank aprox....and a well driven manual can yeild better fuel mileage than an auto, and also you have AWD which is better for inclimate conditions as well, not saying the accord is bad but I had a 4 cyl accord and HATED it on the snow....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not only gas, its insurance and monthly payments. Either way, I gotta get rid of it, as much as I like it

Basically, I have to reduce my costs for a car in general cause me and the g/f are trying to buy our first house and that takes priority If that means I take a hit in the cool factor of the car, so be it.

Actually, now that I think about it, I could go test drive my Accountants 4 cylinder auto Sedan and make an accurate judgement call. BRB.....

·
QUICK!!! someone Beer me!
1,156 Posts
if you're main reason for an accord was for gas saving, why not go all the way and opt for a Hybrid car?

saves gas , u get to drive alone in carpool, and correct me if i'm wrong( and i probably am...), but don't electric engines give tons of torque off the line?

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
yeah and you get a tax break for driving an environmentally friendly car as well...so that is always a perk...but you can only get a 04-06 with an accord so your payment might not go down any...unless you go with a hybrid civic used..

·
4 bangin'
2,277 Posts
my friends manual 1.8t jetta gets better mileage then my 4banger auto, haha, that bastage. the 4 banger is one of the few hondas that has a higher torque number then hp number, haha, 152tq. and 150hp. nothing much, haha, but its more. i have an auto 4 banger, its gets me around, its boring tho after a while, like, i wish i had the 5 speed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
frryy said:
if you're main reason for an accord was for gas saving, why not go all the way and opt for a Hybrid car?

saves gas , u get to drive alone in carpool, and correct me if i'm wrong( and i probably am...), but don't electric engines give tons of torque off the line?
Because I can't afford a hybrid. I need to be at less then $11,000 total for financing a car to cut down on my monthly payments including fuel costs and insurance

I drive ALOT due to my constant going out with girlfriend, using car for work related trips, im sick of the manual tranny and im sick of paying up the ass for gas. My priorties in life have shifted "Cool Car" has changed to "budget restraints" If the coolness factor goes with it, so be it. I can make money back on a house, I can't on a car.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
You know what? Forget the Accord. Look for a 2002 Toyota Camry LE or SE. The 2.4L VVT-i engine is a bit better than the Honda 2.3L SOHC VTEC and has more torque, esp at the low-end, you won't have to worry about the transmission blowing up on the Camry like you will on the Accord ($2000), the '02 Camry engines are all "post sludge fix" so you don't have to worry about that either, and an 02 Camry 2.4/auto gets 23/32 mpg vs 23/30 for the Accord. You should be able to find one at $11k private sale too.

At least test drive one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SteVTEC said:
You know what? Forget the Accord. Look for a 2002 Toyota Camry LE or SE. The 2.4L VVT-i engine is a bit better than the Honda 2.3L SOHC VTEC and has more torque, esp at the low-end, you won't have to worry about the transmission blowing up on the Camry like you will on the Accord ($2000), the '02 Camry engines are all "post sludge fix" so you don't have to worry about that either, and an 02 Camry 2.4/auto gets 23/32 mpg vs 23/30 for the Accord. You should be able to find one at $11k private sale too.

At least test drive one.
I have. Most boring car i've ever driven in my life, even Im not that dull. Felt like I was driving a cloud, though it was very very quiet. Just drove my accountants 4 banger sedan and honestly, thats enough pick up and go for me. I almost never drive highway and i'll just avoid heavy weather travelling if at all possible. I'll stick to the 4 cylinder and come out gas/money ahead.

·
the Lost Sol
2,198 Posts
or get a stick corolla ...

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
jsut keep the wrx man.....if your gonna get a accord, ur gonna REALLY REALLY REALLY regret it..... its downgrading to much... from 270ish hp to a crappy 150....
ull be sorry....

edit////

however, i have a 2002 v6coupe (supposely fixed the tranny problem)

and I LOVE IT!!!!

i drive 50mi a day (school and back) and its beautiful/fun to drive... i think i love the comfortable leather seats the most.....

i am not much of a speeder so i dont really mind.

i get about 380mi per 15 gal @ average 65-70mph(when i ONLY do freeeway)

and i get about 280mi per 15gal in the city

but i love my accord....love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sl33pyriceboi said:
jsut keep the wrx man.....if your gonna get a accord, ur gonna REALLY REALLY REALLY regret it..... its downgrading to much... from 270ish hp to a crappy 150....
ull be sorry....
I'll even be more sorry when I go bankrupt cause I can no longer afford it nor be able to buy my first house.

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
Freezetronius said:
I'll even be more sorry when I go bankrupt cause I can no longer afford it nor be able to buy my first house.
:cry: true....just get leather seats...they are freaking awesome.... probably one of my fav part of the accord....

if you do decide to get an accord i4, get the SE one, i think it comes with leather and a moonroof

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sl33pyriceboi said:
:cry: true....just get leather seats...they are freaking awesome.... probably one of my fav part of the accord....

if you do decide to get an accord i4, get the SE one, i think it comes with leather and a moonroof
No leather. I hated the leather in my 98 Sedan. Me and anything on those seats flew all over the place during hard cornering, was a complete pain. Yes, I was buckled in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sl33pyriceboi said:
are the seats diff on the sedan and the coupe? because things dont fly when i corner my car...?

but yea, my car is a fun car to drive. i love it.
....... Good question. Maybe the coupe has better bucket seats cause the sedans sucked. Hmmmm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts