Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf has the valet key to my car and it would be cool if she could also have the extra functions of the remote (trunk release and window up and down). I'm going to get another FOB programmed into the car, but then I'm thinking about cutting the key part off of it to make it a bit smaller. Will cutting the key part off cause any problems to FOB?

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
just give her the whole key/FOB and take the valet back :gotme:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
?? Wouldn't I have to have the "new" key cut to my ignition somehow? It's not a blank key, it's used....I just wanted the FOB part :cool:

Yah, don't you guys/gals let your significant others drive your cars? :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
you can just fork out the 125 bucks for a new key/fob....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I had to, I would...but why get a new key/FOB for $125 when I can just get a used 10$ key and program it to work with my car? All I need is the FOB portion. Okay, when I get it, I'll just hack it up and let you guys know if it'll work, it's only $10 :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
There is a limit as to how many keys your car will let you program for your car. Any keys that are made over that limit will only alow you you to unlock the doors MANUALLY. Also once you program a new one you have to do redo all of them. I believe the limit is 3 keys and one valet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i've taken the whole key fob apart before. you should search for that post. i got detail picture of the whole process. i took it apart to paint the key.

what i found out is the key fob have two portions. the metal keyblade and the keyless entry, their both separated.

at the end of the metal key, is where the chip/key code is at.
i guess you can take that apart and make sure to keep it attach to the chip.
because the valet key is the same.

now the keyless entry module. is in a separated waterproof compartment.
it still function independently from the fob. so if you want you can remove that and still use it with the buttons.

on programming a blank key, there's a way to program the key itself. but for the keyless entry/trunk i think you would have to goto the dealer since it have to change the digital signature on the fob it self.

with the blank key there's a step by step instruction how to do that somewhere.

hope that help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the post, thanks Avenger! The pics seem to be gone from the site you posted before, but good info. I don't need the key portion of the FOB, just the remote part. I was thinking I would have to cut the key portion off, but it sounds like you just pop it out! Nice.

I did find the instructions online somewhere on how to add a remote and yes there is a 3 remote limit.

Thanks again! The gf will be happy she has keyless entry control now.

·
Out of my Mind, Somewhere
2,500 Posts
These keys ROCK......my husband had them in his suimsuit pocket in the HOT tub and it still works.

CRAZY!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool cool! Avenger mentioned there was a waterproofing around it.

I'm actually contemplating on carefully cutting up the valet key, take the blade/chip out and then move it over to the new FOB I'm getting. However if I mess up on the cutting, bye bye valet key!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts