Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about that time to replace my rubber and I have a question for my fellow 6-speeders. I'll be sticking with the stock 6-spd 17in wheels and would like to know what would be a good replacement tire. I am currently on my original set of Michelin Pilot HX. I live in MD(where we get all 4 seasons) so I definitely need an all-season tread but would like better sport/performance capability. Have any of you guys gone with something other the Michelin for the stock rims? Tirerack has that tire listed as grand touring all-season at $185 each. I'd like to stay around 2bills but would like to try something different and with better performace characteristics.

Any reccomendations?

Thanks in Advance!
bRad

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
i'm a big hankook and michelin fan...so try those two and see what you can get...maybe stick with the michelins but go with a different model....IMO tirerack is the best way to figure out what ones are the best...just type in what your looking for and they will show you exactly what would fit your needs...we just got four yokohamas off there for our IS300 and we just typed in what we were looking for and we got a great set of tires and i think they were about 200 a piece...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oh boy, I am the exact opposite. I despise Michelin tires. Never liked a single one and I have had 4 different styles. From MXX to MXV's to Pilots. Hated all of them. Terrible dry handling, terrible wet handling. Don't know anything about Hankook though. I personally always go with Bridgestone. Unfortunately my favorite tires (RE-950) don't come in our size. I'm in the same boat, once my tires are done, the available sizes/choices for our car is limited.

J

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Don't go with the stock tire- they're awful.

I get all four seasons as well up here in WI, but I went with BFGoodrich GForce Sports anyway, I just plan on getting some winter tires as well. I was actually considering picking up a set of the EX-V6 rims and tires for the winter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Im still pitchin' the Yokohama Avid V4's. Quiet, smooth, grippy and are a year round tire.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
avon tech as 550s. best tire out there for the money and the overall level of grip offered. i got them. better than the avid v4s that i had before them

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.... I guess I'll just check around some to see what is available in our size. I'll be sure to read rievews before I purchase so that I can get something that I'll be happy with for another 30+k miles. I definitely don't want to end up getting stuck with a sh*tty set of tires.

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
i have the stock v6 wheels too and also in the market for some new tires. what about size, are you going with the same or getting something a little wider. maybe some 225's?

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it just depends on what I can find. I wouldn't mind having a little wider footprint and it would also help protect the wheel some. I'm bad about hitting curbs LOL :( I dunno though, is it recommended to step up to 225's. if they'll fit well, then that may be an option. With the 225's, do you stick with 50 series or would that change by 5? I'd like to maintain the same overall dia.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
225/45 is the closest you'll get (which is what I have)- you're off by ~2% to the low side. So when your spedo says 60 you're really going 58.5 or something.

This should help- you can calculate yourself: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Yea, but if you get a 45mm tire on stock suspension, that's going to widen your wheel gap by another 5 mm's. I know that doesn't sound like much, but its still a difference considering our wheel gap is enourmous as is. :)

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
mbr311 said:
Yea, but if you get a 45mm tire on stock suspension, that's going to widen your wheel gap by another 5 mm's.
:confused:

The 45 number is the aspect ratio...... it's not a millimeter measurement.

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Captal said:
225/45 is the closest you'll get (which is what I have)- you're off by ~2% to the low side. So when your spedo says 60 you're really going 58.5 or something.
That may actually be a good thing.... when you get caught speeding you won't be going as fast as you thought you were :)

That's what I though, isn't it a percentage of the width....

Would you really notice the change wheel gap with the 45??? I can't imagine that it would stand out that much. More importantly, would the 225 width make an improvement with handling and traction? Are there more/better tire choices in the 225/45 size?

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
03LXV6Guy said:
:confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 215/45/17 tire goes like this

215mm wide tire
45mm tall tire
17 inch diameter wheel

So a reduction in 5mm in terms of how tall the tire is would lead to another 5mm in terms of wheel gap. Feel free to correct me if I have misconceptions.

But that's why when you get a drop, most go with a 235/40/17 tire to to get a smaller sidewall and a stiffer sidewall as well. Plus, it tucks in neater because its not up in the fender.

·
Registered
352 Posts
mbr311 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 215/45/17 tire goes like this

215mm wide tire
45mm tall tire
17 inch diameter wheel

So a reduction in 5mm in terms of how tall the tire is would lead to another 5mm in terms of wheel gap. Feel free to correct me if I have misconceptions.

But that's why when you get a drop, most go with a 235/40/17 tire to to get a smaller sidewall and a stiffer sidewall as well. Plus, it tucks in neater because its not up in the fender.

No.
215mm = tire width
45 = aspect ratio, side wall height = 215mm x .45 = 96.75mm
total tire height = 2 x 215x.45 + rim diameter

So, 215x.45 = 96.75mm = side wall height. Therefore your entire wheel from ground to top (unloaded of course) = 2x96.75 convert to english = 7.62 inches + 17 inch rim. Wheel height = 24.62"

Going to a 225/50R17 would result in a tire 25.85" tall, your gap would DECREASE by .6" but your ground clearance would increase .6" as well, making your car taller (theoretically, but the tire will crush alot at the bottom, so you would hardly notice the new ride height) and your rpms would be off as well. 819revs/mile for the stock tire, 780 revs/mile for the larger tire. Although the tire is rotating less, your speedometer will show you as going slower than you actually are. 60mph and you would actually be traveling at 63.

Going with a 225/45R17, don't know if it will fit on a 7" wide rim, but your gap would decrease .17".
J

·
Registered
236 Posts
225/45R17 will fit on 7" rim cause that's what I'm riding on now (my Sparcos are 7" width). I found there was a lot more choices in the 225/45R17 size than the stock 215/50R17 size.

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nice explanation Jinx32 :up2: I'm really gettin alot out of this thread!

What is the stock tire on the HFP 17" rim? Doesn't that package come with a performance tire? Could I use those on my six speed wheels.... or is the HFP rim wider?

Hey, ScottSI, do you have a pic of your setup with the 225/45-17 setup?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
OwAce said:
avon tech as 550s. best tire out there for the money and the overall level of grip offered. i got them. better than the avid v4s that i had before them

Thats what everyone sais. Someday will get some Avon 550's
:clap:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts