Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the towing company in my Apt complex couldn't see my parking decal through my 35% window tint at Noon with the sun sky high... :rolleye2:

so they towed my car for 15 miles to their shop, over bumps & gravel...... and my exhaust was dragging the ENTIRE way there..... *sigh*

I picked it up a few hours ago, my Magnaflow tips are completely destroyed... I confronted the towing company aabout it and got into their face. They insisted that it wasn't their fault because the exhaust was not OEM.

I took pictures of the damage iwth a disposable camera. ANyone know what the law states on something like this?

·
University Of Miami Boy
420 Posts
Damn that sux. I would go crazy about it... they should not give a BS excuse like that, it doesn't matter what you have on your car, it's your stuff !!!!!!!! Seems like they use the wrong tow vehicle for your car... some cars can't be dragged, but must be towed/carried on the truck... do some research on it.

I'm not sure on what advice to give you as I was never in that position, but hopefully some1 else will help you out. Hope everything works out well for you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
arent the people who own the aprt. that contracted them liable? honestly i would hold the towing company liable because they were negligent on not looking for your parking permit, because they shouldn't have even touched your car in the first place.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
this my say on the situation *&%%!&%*%&%&*)()!*$)&!&(*#^!*)_()!&#*!^&#!(*#^(*!^(*#!%^()$!(&^$(&!%%$!()

and every other cussword you can think off. my sympathies bro. dont know what else to say.

·
Registered
414 Posts
1) they are liable for the damage. no question
1a) call the police and file a report
2) secure the name of their business insurance carrier for the tow truck and general liability for the
3) secure an estimate of damages
4) have your conversations with the manager/ owner- no drivers or phone operators
5) do not get angry- no matter what- no false threats
6) contact your insurance carrier- they can conduct an action called subrogation. they pay you and collect from them
7) the argument that it wasn not OEM is not valid- they have to care for your car and employ the proper equipment and techniques to do the tow job safely.
8) contact the manager of the property from which your car was removed- inform them of your delima and ask for thier "help". If they do not offer "help" for an honest mistake, they become a party. They usualy hire or have contracts with tow companies to service thier property. The tow truck was acting as an agent of the property manager. The property owner is now jointly liable for an agents actions.

·
Shes like the wind
1,094 Posts
03 Aero Coupe said:
1) they are liable for the damage. no question
1a) call the police and file a report
2) secure the name of their business insurance carrier for the tow truck and general liability for the
3) secure an estimate of damages
4) have your conversations with the manager/ owner- no drivers or phone operators
5) do not get angry- no matter what- no false threats
6) contact your insurance carrier- they can conduct an action called subrogation. they pay you and collect from them
7) the argument that it wasn not OEM is not valid- they have to care for your car and employ the proper equipment and techniques to do the tow job safely.
8) contact the manager of the property from which your car was removed- inform them of your delima and ask for thier "help". If they do not offer "help" for an honest mistake, they become a party. They usualy hire or have contracts with tow companies to service thier property. The tow truck was acting as an agent of the property manager. The property owner is now jointly liable for an agents actions.
You sound like my 4-inch thick business law textbook :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
let me get this right. According to the tow service they can tear up your wheels because they arn't OEM. They can destroy your paint job because it isn't OEM. They can destroy your retros because they arn't OEM. They can destroy your body kit because it isn't OEM.
INCREDIBLE. Your insurance guy should should be able to help out. If he gets stuck, inform the BBB and get a lawyer. Pathetic.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
my nephew sued towing company for damaged exhaust and some other things, when his car was towed illigally.
i don't know all of details, but i know they suttled out of court.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts