Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
surprisingly, no threads on this so far (as far as i can see).

ive read that white grease (white lithium grease) is the way to go for lubricating and protecting any metal-to-metal surface. this includes track/rail systems, bearings, and hinges.

my original question was why doesnt wd-40 work as well? and the answer, as ive found, is that wd-40 can be regarded more as a solvent than as a lubricant. white grease is supposedly much better. in it's liquid form, it has a carrier-solvent which penetrates cracks and crevices and takes the lube with it. then the solvent evaporates and leaves the lube stuck on the part. additionally, wd-40 has the tendancy to gum up not long after you apply it.

now my question is, what is the difference between white grease and a silicone spray lubricant such as tri-flow? the only reason why i ask is because i have a can of tri-flow sitting around, and i just wanna put it to use.

also, where do u guys get your grease? one brand better than the other? how much should i pay?

tia

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
hmm, no response yet?? i was waiting to hear some answers so i can get my hinges greased.

i've heard of "triple guard grease" that's supposedly good, but i dont know much bout it if it can be used on applications such as latches, hinges, etc.. :confused:

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha i have noticed that there is a shortage of a technical knowledge base on these forums. its okay though, i sitll love it here ;D

you'd definitely want to use white lithium grease, preferably in a spray can (so you can reach the hard-to-get areas), but im still curious about what makes this the best type of product to use. i did some reading over at BITOG on grease, and that was somewhat helpful, but still no direct answer.

time to lube up!

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
White grease does not degrade in heat or cold and stays put. On the downside use it very sparingly in only areas that need it. Otherwise it will attract dust and dirt which can worsen wear. A very thin smear right on the contact surface is usually enough. It's also a good practice to remove and replace it regularly 1-2 times a year to remove the impurities that develope.

·
My Third Accord!
841 Posts
the white lithium in a spary can is the way to go for most automotive needs.....very handy. few bucks at the auto parts store or hardware store.

the only thing i have used silicone lube for is snowblowers and shovels....keeps the snow from sticking to metal surfaces.

i use WD40 to take tar off the lower panels of my car

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ +1. wd-40 is an excellent bar/tar remover, but so so great of a lubricant. it'll get off stuf that clay cant even touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts