Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pro's and cons of puting H.I.D's in your stock housing? will the light output be less than if you get projectors or do a retrofit? I am going to get a kit soon, but I am not sure if it will look good in stock housings does anyone have any pics of H.I.D in stock housing and are you happy with it?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
This has been covered numerous times already. The problem with using HID kits in our stock housing is that it causes alot of glare, and it won't be very pleasant for oncoming drivers. The reflectors in our stock housing wasn't meant and designed for HID kits. I've seen some cool pics of people putting HID kits in TYC projectors, but most of the time i see those guys upgrade to retrofits.

Honestly if you truly want HID's in your car, you should consider having your headlights retrofitted. The only major issue with retrofitting is the cost for the materials, and thats not even factoring the cost of having someone assemble it for you.

Some people have tried low cost alternatives like Silverstar and PIAA bulbs. I have PIAA's and I'm satisfied with them so far, but retrofits would be real nice to have.

Hope this info helps, but I would stay away from ebay projectors too. If you are even considering getting ebay ones, you are better off supporting this website by spending your $$$ in the V6P estore. You can be a hero here, and join the V6P ground cable kit groupbuy

·
Registered
386 Posts
Stray beams )reflector)

vs

No strays )projector)

2 beams that only light up the lane in front of you (reflector)

vs

1 continuous beam that will light up 3 lands wide (projector)

Having had both, definately go with a projector. Reflector housing sucks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay...

I'm not trying to piss off mod...

but a....

Can someone give me a final verdict?

Is HID in OEM reflector housing a real piece of s***?

S**t like I can get HID conversion system for real good price

but don't put them in my headlight unit because it really sucks?

If there's a 9006 HID bulb comes with shield that will be sweet~

(looking like the reflecting thinge on H4)

I know it may not be possible~ and the all the light reflecting mathematics

will cause a problem~ but it still be sweet~ or it may be just stupid cuz

I don't really have any great knowledge about HIDs

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
lfshock said:
Okay...

I'm not trying to piss off mod...

but a....

Can someone give me a final verdict?

Is HID in OEM reflector housing a real piece of s***?

S**t like I can get HID conversion system for real good price

but don't put them in my headlight unit because it really sucks?

If there's a 9006 HID bulb comes with shield that will be sweet~

(looking like the reflecting thinge on H4)

I know it may not be possible~ and the all the light reflecting mathematics

will cause a problem~ but it still be sweet~ or it may be just stupid cuz

I don't really have any great knowledge about HIDs

Everyone is gonna have a different final verdict. Some people say the tradeoff of "no glare" for "tons of money" isn't worth it....so they'll go with reflectors. Others will say that it IS worth it...and go with a retro. Just look @ the pictures people have posted...go to meets and check 'em out in person...and decide for yourself.

·
Unregistered User
459 Posts
If you really want to keep the stock housing and the cost down while safely getting more light, you can always go with the 9005 conversion. You will notice a big difference in light output and is very easy to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
atanarus said:
If you really want to keep the stock housing and the cost down while safely getting more light, you can always go with the 9005 conversion. You will notice a big difference in light output and is very easy to do.

I currently got PIAA GTX White in my thing...I've been using PIAA products for
3 years now...which equals the cost of HID conversion kit..-_-

What is the 9005 conversion?
Is this a kind of HID conversion?

·
Registered
67 Posts
lfshock said:
I currently got PIAA GTA White in my thing...I've been using PIAA products for
3 years now...which equals the cost of HID conversion kit..-_-

What is the 9005 conversion?
Is this a kind of HID conversion?
Okay...I just read about 9005 conversion...
I don't wanna force the watt to get more light output...
I like the look of HID~ but I don't have enough money (to spend) for
retro fit.... too much for me~~
And I'm a dummy about fabricatinf jobs and electrical job so I can't make
the shield myself...-_-
I hope there's an easy and not so costly way to make my headlight
looking like the ones on the TL or Lexus with HID with Reflector housing...-_-;;
Am I too greedy?

·
Registered
67 Posts
MikeRocka said:
i got silverstar bulbs and i took the shield thats over the bulb out of the headlights. they are like homemade HID's lol

so my allignment is a little off.. dont sweat me.. its that retard look thats goin around....

How did u get the shield over the bulb? Are u talking about the one on the bulb or the housing itself?

·
Unregistered User
459 Posts
That's the advantage with the 9005 conversion. The 9005 bulb does not have the shield over the tip. This will give you a wider light spread. As for the wattage, it uses only 10 watts more but will produce an extra 700 lumens. You don't have to worry about anything melting.

If he was talking about the chrome shield in the headlight housing, I would definitely not recommend taking that off because you will totally screw up your cutoff and blind everyone.

·
Registered
779 Posts
lfshock said:
How did u get the shield over the bulb? Are u talking about the one on the bulb or the housing itself?

when i opened the headlights to paint the housings.. i unscrewed that little shield thats over the lowbeam bulb in the housing, took it out completely. so its like a hyperwhite highbeam, but the way the housing is contructed.. its still not as bright as the 1/2 circle shaped highbeam housing....

·
Registered
253 Posts
i have HIDs in my stock housing and its awesome. i was going to go with projectors but maybe later on down the road. my HID bulbs and ballasts in the stock housing are good enough.

here are a few from my camera phone:

i have more but they cant be loaded onto my computer right now.

NOTE: these pics were taken when i got my drop and the HIDs were not yet readjusted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
4DoorVTEC said:
i have HIDs in my stock housing and its awesome. i was going to go with projectors but maybe later on down the road. my HID bulbs and ballasts in the stock housing are good enough.

here are a few from my camera phone:

i have more but they cant be loaded onto my computer right now.

NOTE: these pics were taken when i got my drop and the HIDs were not yet readjusted.

Is your housing completely stock? or did u do some mod on it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
completely stock. and i have a lil bit of what i think its called "oxidization" or sumthin on the top of my left headlight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
4DoorVTEC said:
completely stock. and i have a lil bit of what i think its called "oxidization" or sumthin on the top of my left headlight.
O well....

I'm getting 9006 kit anyways cuz it's almost free for me ~ :p

I'll complain about the glare and everything after I install them~

Thanks a lot fot the advice guys~

Hope someone (I'll keep on trying) will find an easy way for

getting rid of glare without spending loads of money soon enough~

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
^^ get me a pair of OEM accord headlights and OEM TL reflector based HID headlights and I'll let you know if my idea works =]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts