Accord V6 Forum banner

Handling of 4 cyl vs 6 cyl?

12K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  cm7rockzz 
#1 ·
Hi -- looking to get a 2005-2007 sedan, manual transmission. Have driven both a 4 and a 6 but not back-to-back and the 4 was just an old DX. But the feeling I got was that the 6 cyl was kind of nose-heavy and almost plodding in comparison to the 4. Is that the impression others have had? If so, I'd probably go for an EX 4 cyl, 5 spd.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
a 4 with suspension mods will handle better than a 6 with none... but stock, the 6 comes with sway bars in the front and rear and a strut tower bar.

that being said, my 4 has TL-Type S front and rear sway bars, a Greddy Strut Tower bar, Megan Racing Camber arms, Tein springs and Energy Suspension bushings... it handles like a go-cart.

I'm looking into Koni Yellows to replace my shocks/struts now.

#3 ·
I own a v6 and have gotten the same kinda nose heavy feeling through corners but to me it was just the tires i had at the time which were cheap off-brand used tires. After i started buying some decent falkens the feeling went right away.

#6 ·
I believe the concensus is it's a good idea due to the possibility of oversteer with only the rear installed. Then again I've heard people very satisfied with only the rear TL-S solid bar.

As for the handling of the 4 vs. the 6

Owning both cars with similar tires I can say the four is much lighter on it's feet and feels more tossable in daily driving, the V6 feels like it has a 200 pound man hidden under the hood... When you hit the gas however all is forgiven, believe that... when it comes to absolute handling or chasing something down thru the twisties (don't ask) stock for stock the V6 6 speed (all I can speak for never had the auto but 06' up are so close) is more resistant to extensive body roll and feels firmer but you don't forget about the heavy nose. Its absolute grip with the same or similar V rated michelins is undoubtedly better.

It's all a matter of taste stock for stock IMHO. With the right suspension mods im sure I would prefer my lighter 4 banger in most situations that don't call for torque on demand.

#9 ·
Like nighthawk my 6speed oversteers and i love it. Feeling the rear tires rotate around and being able to control it is fun and a cool skill to have. My only suspension mod is the TL-s rear sway and glad i did it cause i hate understeer.

#10 ·
no its not fun when u almost crash from spinning out in traffic. i was driving normally when i got caught. i turned off VSA.

the stock car had some handling problem. they had to set up the rear for more grip but using softer sway bar and lower tire pressure compared to the 4 cylinder.

#13 ·
The VSA will brake individual wheels to prevent excessive under or oversteer. Its a great safety net for most people. If you know how to drive it just scrubs speed...

#14 ·
Correction. The only time VSA works is when Side slip occurs. It helps correct under steer or over steer. It only applies breaks to either the inner, or the outer front wheels to correct over steer or under steer.. Inner front wheels when under steer occurs, and outer front wheels when over steer occurs.

VSA = ABS, TCS. It's great for street driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.