Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car has 120k miles on the original tranny. The harsh shifting occurs occasionally from 1st to 2nd gear only while below 3k rpm, anything above the gears will shift as normal. What's happening is that the rpm will kick with an increase about .2500 of an rpm or stall for a second before shifting to 2nd. My father who is a certified mechanic says my transmission oil is too thin and needs some kind of thickening lubricant added. Is this also a sign of transmission failure? I would like your inputs.

·
frumaroll
2,048 Posts
i have a similar problem in my accord, but usually only when its cold. The honda dealership told me the trans fluid was a little to thick...

·
Work hard...play harder!
772 Posts
I don't know about whether the fluid is too thin or too thick but I never heard of anyone having to put any other agent in the tranny to help it shift. I would actually advise against it. If the fluid is not what it should be, then drain it and re-fill it with Honda ATF and nothing else. DO NOT FLUSH IT!!! I was having erratic shifting similar to you but the cause of it was that I was low on fluid. Once I filled it back up I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The car has 120k miles on the original tranny. The harsh shifting occurs occasionally from 1st to 2nd gear only while below 3k rpm, anything above the gears will shift as normal. What's happening is that the rpm will kick with an increase about .2500 of an rpm before shifting to 2nd. My father who is a certified mechanic says my transmission oil is too thin and needs some kind of thickening lubricant added. Is this also a sign of transmission failure? I would like your inputs.
Dude I have the same problem as yours. I always thought my transmission is about to go, I'm not sure about the fluid though. Anyone here can fill us more answer? I didn't want to change my transmission fluid, afraid the problem might be even worst.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wouldn't that makes it worst if you drain and refill? Because my 1st to 2nd gear is lagging, like it doesn't want to shift into next gear, but it works better if I let off the gas a bit.

·
V6P OG
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the the transmission fluid (Honda fluid) changed 5k miles ago and still getting the lagging shift. I hear that you have to change the transmission fluid twice to drain all the oil out. Can someone verify this to me? If this doesn't work then I'm out of options. Another problem..my transmission seems to be down shifting pretty hard from 2nd to 1st as well. I can feel a little "clunk" while it's happening. Again this only occurs at moderate speeds.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the the transmission fluid changed 5k miles ago and still getting the lagging shift. I hear that you have to change the transmission fluid twice to drain all the oil out. Can someone verify this to me?
I have a friend done that already. He drained and refill 3 time. Same problem occur or even worst. Well I just dont know, some said it work some don't

·
Work hard...play harder!
772 Posts
Dude I have the same problem as yours. I always thought my transmission is about to go, I'm not sure about the fluid though. Anyone here can fill us more answer? I didn't want to change my transmission fluid, afraid the problem might be even worst.
According to research yes it would make it worse if you put another brand of ATF in our tranny. These trannies are very touchy. There really is not much you can do other than drain the transmission fluid and replace it with fresh fluid. If you want to do it a couple of times, I don't see the harm in that as long as you are using Honda's ATF. Once you refill the tranny up with fresh ATF and you still have problems, then I would say its rather safe to say that your tranny is dying. If thats the case, save your pennies up for that new/rebuilt tranny. That or think about doing a 6 speed swap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
According to research yes it would make it worse if you put another brand of ATF in our tranny. These trannies are very touchy. There really is not much you can do other than drain the transmission fluid and replace it with fresh fluid. If you want to do it a couple of times, I don't see the harm in that as long as you are using Honda's ATF. Once you refill the tranny up with fresh ATF and you still have problems, then I would say its rather safe to say that your tranny is dying. If thats the case, save your pennies up for that new/rebuilt tranny. That or think about doing a 6 speed swap.
How much does the 6speed swap usually cost? I ask one of the Pro transmission place and they wanted $3389.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would drain and refill the transmission fluid twice and see what happens. I also heard of the Lucas Transmission fix and heard it does a great job, but it was done on a different car. I would personally try draining and filling it twice and if that doesn't help I'd try the Lucas transmission fix. If that does help do a 6 speed swap :) I believe the harware would cost you ~1500.00. Since your father is a mechanic I would have him install the tranny. Check out car-parts.com and look for 03 CL-S tranny's. Wish you the best.

·
Super IcyAccord
2,512 Posts
^ do not flush the tranny. drain and refill only.

as for swap prices, good luck getting the swap done for $1500. i've paid about $1500 for parts alone not including the tranny. but then again, i bought them all new.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh yea, it's prolly 1500 without Richie's harness and obviously without labor. How much did the whole 6 speed swap cost you when everything was said and done?

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Actually we have real multi disc clutch packs in the ATs that are fluid operated, letting off the gas removes pressure from the fluid and if a valve is sticking will allow it to "wiggle" a bit and free up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts