Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been asked a hundred times but I've looked through some threads and could not find an exact answer to my question. First what i'm wondering is will an after market muffler like an HKS, Magnaflow or Megan Racing muffler (1) add power with stock piping (2) will it sound loud?

My biggest fear is that i will buy and install a muffler and have that nasty ricer civic bumble bee sound. What I'm looking for is a deep but not loud sound. Any recommendations? And again, will it be much louder with just stock piping? BTW i have a 5 speed, i know that the autos sound TERRIBLE.
And in case anyone is wondering im looking for some oval shaped mufflers no fart can recommendations please.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I looked at youtube vids, and I mean, how much can you really tell from youtube? IMO they all sound like rice rockets regardless of the car, muffler, or setup. Sound videos just dont do exhausts justice.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'd recommend a Magnaflow straight thru oval muffler. 5x8x14. I'd do 2.5" piping as well, with a medium sized resonator too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd recommend a Magnaflow straight thru oval muffler. 5x8x14. I'd do 2.5" piping as well, with a medium sized resonator too.
Yup, i ended up getting a magnaflow 14832 street series, 2 day shipping so will have it installed on tuesday.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ooo, let me know how this goes, and try to make a video if you can! I'm looking into doing my exhaust setup sometime in the near future.

·
Team Sea Slug
39 Posts
Sounds good on that video. Not too excessive.

I'd have considered doing the same thing to mine, but it's an automatic.

·
Quicksilver
948 Posts
do the install yourself and save some $$$$$!! its super easy and should only take about 30mins!! i have the magnaflow btw and i love the sound of it!! good choice!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What tools would i need? I'm assuming theres some kind of gasket ill need or something? Does anyone know if the 8th and 7th gen mufflers are the same? I'm getting kinda paranoid that it might not fit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You'll probably need a ratchet/breaker bar and a small extension with I'm guessing a 12mm socket. You'll want to soak the bolts down that holds the cat back to the cat with PB blaster to eat away at some of the rust build up. Depending on how much difficulty those bolts on the cat give you, that should be all you need.

Oh and the kit should come with a new gasket. I can't be certain, it's been many years since I last did a new exhaust. Anyone else here could tell you with more certainty.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well ill definitely give it a shot and see if i can pull it off my self before i go and spend the 45 bucks to have a shop do it. Thing I love about living in the Pacific NW, no rust or salt!! :D

Thanks for the heads up all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Definitely keep us posted with the DIY. If its not too bad, I will definitely consider this mod as well. Good luck man.

·
Frank
655 Posts
do the install yourself and save some $$$$$!! its super easy and should only take about 30mins!! i have the magnaflow btw and i love the sound of it!! good choice!
hey dave,

just ordered the magnaflow exhaust and after reading your post i may just install it myself instead of taking it to a shop.

would u say i would just need some pb blaster/wd40 and maybe a breaker bar to get those bolts loose?

r your mufflers round or oval?

can you post a quick video of your exhaust?

you seem to buy the best stuff for your ride, maybe i should just do what you've done instead of researching. lol

thanks

·
Quicksilver
948 Posts
^ haha thanks man, i appreciate that. spray the bolts with pb or wd40, and the hangers too. i doubt youll need a breaker bar, i didnt. i was able to get all the bolts off with just my ratchet. the bolts i believe were 14mm or 15mm. the mufflers are round, and ill try and make a sound clip asap.

oh and when you do the install, make sure and look at the exhaust clamps, 2 of them are 2" and one is 2 1/2" i believe. cuz the exhaust is gonna come in 3 pieces and the clamps need to be in the right spots.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks soooo sick, sounds pretty damn good too. So psyched for tuesday now lol.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ 4 dr 4 cylinder? what exactly are you doing? just the muffler? or with 2.5 inch piping?
Yeah just muffler, the stock one looks boring and I would like a decent growl when I accelerate. Nothing loud, not expecting 100 mega HP out of it either.

·
Frank
655 Posts
well it turns out that i had an old clip....here ya go. but i must add, it sounds alot better in person. it actually seems louder in the vid. oh and also, my camera was in my garage when i shot this so there might be an echo. maybe thats why it seems louder.

car :: 025.mp4 video by lilhst311 - Photobucket

good looking out, bro.

the exhaust sounds awesome, thanks. :up: can't wait to install it. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts