Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to pull out the surrounding black plastic in front of the gauge with no success so far. I removed the top two screws, do I need to remove the two golden screws underneath as well? I am not attempting any mod right now, just want to clean the glass....as you can see in the pic...it's pretty dirty with a lot of paint particles :(

Should I remove this golden screw?

I can remove the top of the plastic but not the bottom!

Btw, assuming I remove the black plastic successfully, can I remove the glass without removing the whole cluster?

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
you take out two screws on the top when you start.. then you pull out the black surrounding piece..

when you have that out, there are another two screws on top and another two screws on bottom... after that, tilt it down and take the plugs off..

REMEMBER, you should disconnect the battery first so you dont get the airbag light on.... if your local, i can help you..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kiet said:
you take out two screws on the top when you start.. then you pull out the black surrounding piece..

when you have that out, there are another two screws on top and another two screws on bottom... after that, tilt it down and take the plugs off..

REMEMBER, you should disconnect the battery first so you dont get the airbag light on.... if your local, i can help you..

Kiet, after removing the top two screws, how do you pull out the black surrounding piece? I try and try but really afraid of applying too much force...
Do you pull out the top part first or the whole piece at once? It seems to me the bottom part is very difficult to remove...

btw, I live in alhambra, ca, do you live anywhere close?

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
go to the tonite's 626 meet, i'll be there a little late.. @ park and ride on del mar and valley. across from the church.. theres a parking lot next to the 99ranch market.. or look at the 626 meet thread and you'll kno where it is.

basically you hold it on the bottom and literally and forcefully pull it out.. there are clips holding it down..

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you're going to disconnect the cluster just make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal before right? I'm going to change the bulbs to polarg m4's so that they will be white. Also I want to put in these chrome rings around the guages. http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/installs_tims/accord/interior.htm How does the clear plastic come off? Maybe thats a dumb question, I haven't taken the trim piece around the guages ever off.

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
^^ their held on by screws around the cluster in front and back...

reason why you disconnect the battery is if you dont, when you connect everything back together, your srs light will come on..

·
Registered
448 Posts
okay thanks, i remember that i read somewhere were you had a certain amount of time to work or a light would stay on. I'm not sure if it had to do with the cluster or maybe it was the airbag when you do the steering wheel swap. anyone know?

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
its in general, whenever you unplug the cluster, you should unplug the battery as well..

same goes for steering wheel.. there is an airbag, so you disconnect the airbag, it'll read that airbag is not working and light will come up... thats why you unplug the battery.

once you unplug with the battery on, yuo'll get the srs light.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
just do what i do when it comes to stuff like that.... keep taking screws out till the unit comes out.... GREAT learning experience :)

just don't forget where the screws go

·
Registered
448 Posts
yea those damn tabs pissed me off on the piece around the shifter and the cup holders. I lost like 2 of them because they fell off. Does anyone know where I can get some more? I'm sure I'll lose one when I pull the cluster trim off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh! Can't believe u guys were having a meeting tonite!!! And it's so close to me!! And I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. Anyway, on the lighter note, I got it done now. I have to say that the two clips on the bottom are really difficult to pop off.....is there a easier way to do it? Suppose if I want to work on my car in the future.

Btw, what is a good site to buy a 98 Honda Accord LX-V6 driver side rearview mirror? I called up a few dealers, the price ranges from $165 to $200 :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw, I didn't disconnect the battery but my car works fine. Go figure :D

still can't believe I missed the meeting :(

·
Destroyer of Tires
16,094 Posts
I just unscrewed all the visible screws and started pulling. The bottom part is hard to get out because its kind of like folded behind the rest of the dash so it looks more flush. Once you get that over the edge it comes out easier.

·
LaLaLaLa
4,852 Posts
yeah you pretty much just unscrew everything you see and rip. once upon a time a few months ago i was getting my gauges in and i got desperate so i just unscrewed alot and i ripped it out and yay it came out. but i snapped off one of the clips. but whatever...its not like it made any difference :D dang i need to start going to those meets.

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
there isnt no real easy way to take off the black plastic piece.. As times go, the more you pull it out, the more easier it should be...

btw, there are weekly meets every week... Don't be disappointed, check the socal forum for more information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts