Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sail on Soothsayer
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Alpine MRPM350 - Alpine 1 Ch 350 Watt Amplifier with an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQc 10" sub.

here are links to both the products:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=66

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFPERFECT10VQC

And right now I have the gain and bass equalizer 3/4 of the way. Is this a good setting or not? Am I gonna blow the sub with this amount of power? It sure sound good right now.

Please look up the specs of both components and let me know how to set these gain and bass eq. settings accordingly so that it sounds good and I would damage my sub or amp.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
There is no good way to tell someone where to put any settings unless they know the amp and sub, or are actually there. Your only real way of protecting the sub from blowing is by getting a underpowered amp that just plain old cant blow the sub even if it wanted to. But then most people just have the thing clipping the entire time and sounds like crap, but most people dont notice. The amp shouldnt really be able to blow, the only worry is the sub. As long as its not at excursion for a extended period you should be fine. With that little power, your only real problem would be playing it at full volume for hours in a sealed enclosure...

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is no good way to tell someone where to put any settings unless they know the amp and sub, or are actually there. Your only real way of protecting the sub from blowing is by getting a underpowered amp that just plain old cant blow the sub even if it wanted to. But then most people just have the thing clipping the entire time and sounds like crap, but most people dont notice. The amp shouldnt really be able to blow, the only worry is the sub. As long as its not at excursion for a extended period you should be fine. With that little power, your only real problem would be playing it at full volume for hours in a sealed enclosure...
Please what ever you do, do not hook up the sub to an underpowered amp like said above. As far as protecting the sub, this is the worst thing you can do. What happens when you hook up a sub to an underpowered amp is that the speaker becomes distorted, very much so at higher levels. This will destroy the sub faster than anything else. You should if anything always get an amp that can put out more power than the subs are rated for as you can always turn it down. When they have enough power they wont distort and will be able to go alot louder without getting damaged.

·
Registered
140 Posts
And as far as setting the gains, the best way to do it is to turn the volume up on your headunit to about 75-80% of the maximum value with the gain set to 0. Once at 75%, slowly turn the gain up on the amp untill your speakers start to get just a LITTLE distorted. once you reach this point turn the gain back down just a little bit. You should be at a good level if you do this. Like said before, if you do this and your gain is at 75%, there is something wrong with the setup. The RCAs like said before may have a low voltage or maybe a loose connection messing with the independance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts