Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to clean up my engine this weekend.

First I wrapped up the fuse box, headlight area, and battery.

I then proceeded to spray the engine down.

Well when I was all done, I started the engine and my check engine light came on after about 1 min. The whole car lopes now and just lopes even harder when I step on the gas.

The check engine light will not go off and whole car is loping HARD!

I can see white smoke come out the exhaust when I step on the gas too.

Someone help me?! I can't get to the Honda Dealership until monday and i'll have to drive 32 miles to get there. Will I be ok to drive that far?

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
do you have an aftermarket intake? what do you mean by "lopes"?

·
im obsessed with intakes.
752 Posts
yea im stuck on lope too...... its relatively safe to spray ur engine without wrapping anything..... sooooo yeaaaaaa

P.S. in the future i suggest u use automotive terms, or common automotive slang, and not use ur own terms.... helps the communication process...

·
Registered
841 Posts
damn...this is why I've never tried degreasing my engine bay...too worried something'll get F'ed up..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the AEM V1 Intake with a bypass valve.

What I mean by LOPE is that it sounds like its sputtering. It's not a smooth exhaust sound from engine to exhaust. Not free flowing sound. It's more of a sputtering sound.

Like "vroom vroom vroom, mine is doing blope blope blope"

·
Registered
582 Posts
02prodigy said:
yea im stuck on lope too...... its relatively safe to spray ur engine without wrapping anything..... sooooo yeaaaaaa

P.S. in the future i suggest u use automotive terms, or common automotive slang, and not use ur own terms.... helps the communication process...
Um... "Lopes" or "loping" is an automotive term. It's used to describe a mis-fire or a continually missing cylinder. It's usually associated with a very noticable rough idle and a seemingly 'unbalanced' engine.

Since you have a '00 you've got a distributer style ignition. Make sure you didnt get water on the coil or on the distributer. You'll be fine though... when your car dries thoroughly it should clear up. Let her run for a while, but dont driver her hard. Dont sweat this bro, it's nothing major.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timmybighands said:
Lol, just listened to your sound clip. Has a nice V8 growl to it with that miss. Maybe you should wet your engine down more often? :)

HAHA! I thought it sounded pretty cool too.

So timmy is it just a miss fire on the spark plug? Do I need to replace a spark plug or just let it dry out?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Na, you shouldnt have to replace anything. The plugs never got wet themselves. You probly just got water in the distributer. When that dries up it'll return to normal. Same thing happens to my bimmer every time I pressure wash the engine bay.

Like everything else, with heat water evaporates faster. That's why I say let her run for a bit.

·
Registered
582 Posts
And if you pull the code for the CEL, I'm almost 100% positive you'll only get a misfire code. Like I said man, dont sweat it. Next time put a plastic bag over your distributer as well.

When I had my 240sx I put a bag over the intake filter too... but I forgot to remove it after washing and when I started it the car died right off. I was like WTF?! When I checked it all out, it had sucked the bag to the filter and it couldnt get anymore air in. Oops. Make sure you remove everything before you close the hood back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Timmybighands said:
Na, you shouldnt have to replace anything. The plugs never got wet themselves. You probly just got water in the distributer. When that dries up it'll return to normal. Same thing happens to my bimmer every time I pressure wash the engine bay.

Like everything else, with heat water evaporates faster. That's why I say let her run for a bit.
thanks timmy!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
NP bro. Before I started as an RE agent, I was a service advisor at a Caddy dealership. Ppl would come in all the time frieking out over something that was really nothing. I'm just trying to save you the trip, and the advisor the trouble of sending you away without 'fixing' it. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright, so I let the engine bay dry out, but this morning when I tried to fire it up nothing happens.

It cranks but will not turn over!?!

I think i'm going to have to get it towed now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hmm. Okay that's strange. There are only three basic things that keep it from firing: Fuel, Air, Spark. Start by checking for spark since you wet the engine bay down.

You can pull each of your plug wires individually and hold it near a ground. Crank the car and look for an arc of electricity to the ground. Do that to each to make sure you have spark. If you DONT have a spark on ANY of them, you know it's either the distributer or the coil (likely the coil). If only one is not sparking it's your distributer.

If all of them spark, move on to fuel. Then to air (least likely offender).

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Sucks to hear man, I actually just got my engine bay washed out, repainted, and polished. Just take ur car to the mechanic and have them diagnose it, its almost impossible to isolate the problem without any tools, especially in the engine bay. I also just watched the clip u had, and damn, ur accord sounds like a damn muscle car, haha, thats awesome. Id drive around in that next to all the mustangs and camaros :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts