Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im a noob, sorry. Im buying an 99 accord coupe. I drove it at night and it has stock headlight housings with HID bulbs. They look like crap. Lines all over the road. From what research I have done, i understand that a retro is the only way to get decent HID output. I know that stock with retrofit is extremely expensive but worth it. But this is too much for me at the moment especially after buying the car cash. Cheaper alternatives are

1) buy aftermarket TYC projector headlights, install a Valeo projector in the housing (which is what is found on Audi's). Ok what I am unsure of is the bulb options, if I get the valeo's retrofitted ill need to get D2S bulbs and ballasts that will need to be professionally installed cuz suck at installing anything.
Question:

2) Retro a Valeo that takes H7 bulbs into the TYC housing. If its H7 Is there a way that I could purchase a good quality plug and play HID kit from Mcullock or Phillips with an H7 bulb and 9006 wiring that plugs into the stock accord wiring?
Question: If i get a Valeo retroed, I have to use either D2s or D2r bulb, meaning expensive ballasts and custom wiring?
Question: If the TYC housing is made for a H1 bulb, then how will a DS2 or H7 bulb fit in the hole?

3) Install the TYC with a plug and play H1 kit that plugs into the stock 9006 accord wiring.
Question: I know this sucks but is it better than stock? Also, it looks nice.

4) Remove HID bulbs that are in there now, try to sell them, and just install a stock bulb until I have enough money for a proper retrofit. Maybe get some nice fogs for extra light.

What prices am I looking at for each one and what will give me the most bang for my buck, and still look nice?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would retrofit H7 halogen projectors in there (like offa MDXs and other cars)...they're pretty decent and cheaper...buy just the H7 bulbs...and sell your 9006 bulbs...cheapest way i think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pjk208 said:
I would retrofit H7 halogen projectors in there (like offa MDXs and other cars)...they're pretty decent and cheaper...buy just the H7 bulbs...and sell your 9006 bulbs...cheapest way i think.
But will H7 fit in the TYC?

·
Fast at Last!... kind of.
2,163 Posts
HID kit in TYC headlights = crap output. You're better off saving up enough money for a proper retrofit, Option #1 is quite popular and yields decent results. If you're already doing a retrofit into TYCs, why not make them clear lens D2S valeos? The rationale behind this is that you'll have a tough time finding H7 HID bulbs, and if you go with a kit, the quality just isn't there. Besides, I've proven in numerous posts that going OEM is actually cheaper than buying a kit. As well, getting rid of the H7 HID kit is going to be a pain in the ass later, whereas if you want to get rid of D2S bulbs and an OEM ballast, there is a HUGE market for them.

Or you could do a retrofit into OEM headlights, which would probably end up costing the same as option#1 but looks 10x better.

Meanwhile, stop buying crap HID kits, with ballasts that die after a year or two.

Buy it cheap, and you'll end up buying it twice.

If you suck at installing anything, then retrofitting yourself might not be the best route. And yes, to put in proper Valeos, you'll need D2S bulbs.

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
sawalke4 said:
Ok, im a noob, sorry. Im buying an 99 accord coupe. I drove it at night and it has stock headlight housings with HID bulbs. They look like crap. Lines all over the road. From what research I have done, i understand that a retro is the only way to get decent HID output. I know that stock with retrofit is extremely expensive but worth it. But this is too much for me at the moment especially after buying the car cash. Cheaper alternatives are

1) buy aftermarket TYC projector headlights, install a Valeo projector in the housing (which is what is found on Audi's). Ok what I am unsure of is the bulb options, if I get the valeo's retrofitted ill need to get D2S bulbs and ballasts that will need to be professionally installed cuz suck at installing anything.
Question:

2) Retro a Valeo that takes H7 bulbs into the TYC housing. If its H7 Is there a way that I could purchase a good quality plug and play HID kit from Mcullock or Phillips with an H7 bulb and 9006 wiring that plugs into the stock accord wiring?
Question: If i get a Valeo retroed, I have to use either D2s or D2r bulb, meaning expensive ballasts and custom wiring?
Question: If the TYC housing is made for a H1 bulb, then how will a DS2 or H7 bulb fit in the hole?

3) Install the TYC with a plug and play H1 kit that plugs into the stock 9006 accord wiring.

4) Remove HID bulbs that are in there now, try to sell them, and just install a stock bulb until I have enough money for a proper retrofit. Maybe get some nice fogs for extra light.

What prices am I looking at for each one and what will give me the most bang for my buck, and still look nice?

listen to steviero.....heknows what hes doing.....

let me giv you some advise with TYC......for i am tyc master....

first answer: d2s/d1s bulbs will not fit into a H1 socket.

2nd answer: d2r or any bulbs with the "R" are made for HID reflective housing, not projectors. the projectors all have a "S" in it, like "d1s, d2s or d4s"

3rd answer: NOT ALL VALEOS ARE A DIRECT SWAP. ACTUALLY, VERY FEW. AND DEPENDING ON THE GENERATION OF THE TYCs, THE PROJECTORS WONT FIT..... tycs change their projectors ever so often years..........so what you read aobut valeos being a direct swap, is not true.......how do i kno? i have just bought some audi A4 valeos and they dont fit.....not even close..........

TYC output is very decent [with HIDs] if u kno how to mod it, the output is great. but still not as good as tsx or valeo projectors.

·
2,163 Posts
sl33py is indeed the TYC master.

Anyway, since we're ganging up on this poor chap, I'd like to point out that not all projectors are created equal. Don't expect an E46 bixenon projector to put out nearly as much light as a TSX. And dont' expect a TSX to put out as much light as an S2000. You want nice output, be ready to shell out, although Valeos are a good choice.

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
^correct......

and may i suggest that you DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME......

meaning? dont go buy crap stuff......i.e. EBAY HID KITS or what ever.......they suck

buy OEM ballasts and OEM bulb.......

here is my waste sheet [when first bought my car, i just went out n bought stupid sh!t]:

1. EBAY HELO PROJECTOR ($150)
-threw it away after 2 weeks because the halo burned out, and it fogged up, not to mention my HID bulbs (H1) did not fit in there. and yes, those projectors USED h1 bulbs.

2. cheapo EBAY HID KIT ($200)
-water was managed to get in one of the "water/mist proof" ballasts, and it burned/short out in less than 4 months. while the H1 hid bulb that came with it DID NOT FIT INTO THE H1 socket.... i broke/shattered the friggin bulb while trying to stick it in

3.valeo projectors [real valeo from a4] ($110)
-DID NOT FIT THE TYC for a direct swap.....not even close.... if i wanted to use them, i would have to cut out the base of the tyc and re drill NEW holes and remount these project........which was almost immpossible because there is NO ROOM on the TYC base for any new holes/mounts. try modding the projector holes, but that didnt work well.

thing i had to buy after ward that im currently using:

1. new HID from mccollen (how ever you spell it) ($300)
-probably one of the bst aftermarket HID kits
2. TYC PROJECTORS ($210)
-best aftermarket projectors...and yes,the projectors in these things ARE BETTER QUALITY THAN THE ONES IN THE STUPID EBAY HALO ONES

as you can see, if i wasnt stupid (and if i did a little research) i would have saved alot of money.....i wasted 200+150+110 = $350

learn from my mistakes......have patients......ask around

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, ill go with removing crap kit intstalled in stocks at the moment, and install some nice PIAA healogens in stocks. Ill save up for stocks with TSX retro, or maybe TYC with valeos... Thanks!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sl33pyriceboi said:
^correct......

and may i suggest that you DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME......

meaning? dont go buy crap stuff......i.e. EBAY HID KITS or what ever.......they suck

buy OEM ballasts and OEM bulb.......

here is my waste sheet [when first bought my car, i just went out n bought stupid sh!t]:

1. EBAY HELO PROJECTOR ($150)
-threw it away after 2 weeks because the halo burned out, and it fogged up, not to mention my HID bulbs (H1) did not fit in there. and yes, those projectors USED h1 bulbs.

2. cheapo EBAY HID KIT ($200)
-water was managed to get in one of the "water/mist proof" ballasts, and it burned/short out in less than 4 months. while the H1 hid bulb that came with it DID NOT FIT INTO THE H1 socket.... i broke/shattered the friggin bulb while trying to stick it in

3.valeo projectors [real valeo from a4] ($110)
-DID NOT FIT THE TYC for a direct swap.....not even close.... if i wanted to use them, i would have to cut out the base of the tyc and re drill NEW holes and remount these project........which was almost immpossible because there is NO ROOM on the TYC base for any new holes/mounts. try modding the projector holes, but that didnt work well.

thing i had to buy after ward that im currently using:

1. new HID from mccollen (how ever you spell it) ($300)
-probably one of the bst aftermarket HID kits
2. TYC PROJECTORS ($210)
-best aftermarket projectors...and yes,the projectors in these things ARE BETTER QUALITY THAN THE ONES IN THE STUPID EBAY HALO ONES

as you can see, if i wasnt stupid (and if i did a little research) i would have saved alot of money.....i wasted 200+150+110 = $350

learn from my mistakes......have patients......ask around
Wait, so you are using unmodded TYC's with HID's?? Steverino just said this = crap output. If so with what bulb are you using?

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
well, not totally un modded. if you put HID H1 bulbs in the tyc projector, it sucks......but if u know how to mod it a little, then the output is not as bad.....

im currently using H1 bulbs.

i filed the inside of the projector socket with a Dremel.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66808&highlight=tyc+hid

^ thats what i was gonna explain, but i have already explained it in that thread.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks sl33py. Im gonna buy good Halogens for now, maybe sell the kit thats in there now, and eventually go with TYCs with valeo and D2s bulbs...

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
make sure u have spare set of headlights when ur doing ur retro.....and remember, take time on it and dont do a half ass job.....if you let steveriano do it, im sure he will do a super duper good job

in the summer, i will be retrofiting [or trying to retrofit] tyc with TSX projectors...imma have to actcually cut out the projectors and remount everything.......

now that i have expierence with the insides of these TYCs, i should do fine.

·
2,163 Posts
CUT IT ALL!!!!

The more you cut the more custom it is. =P

Haha, but seriously sl33py, post some pics of your progress, I've gotten lots of requests for retro-ing TYCs. I'm not confident enough to do it, so if you're good at it, I'll send some people you way!

·
i<3 S.E.S & Eugene Kim
3,589 Posts
Steverino said:
CUT IT ALL!!!!

The more you cut the more custom it is. =P

Haha, but seriously sl33py, post some pics of your progress, I've gotten lots of requests for retro-ing TYCs. I'm not confident enough to do it, so if you're good at it, I'll send some people you way!

well, one thing for sure, tycs are not a direct swap of valeos...

only some tyc modeles out there are swapable...but we'll see how imma do this....

btw steve, can you giv me the dimentions of teh TSX projector??? i kno its fatter than most projectors so thats y i ask...

i [think] i found a link on hidplanet[that tells the dimentions] ALONG time ago, but i cant seem to find it anymore...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I drove it at night and it has stock headlight housings with HID bulbs. They look like crap. Lines all over the road. From what research I have done, i understand that a retro is the only way to get decent HID output.
Its nice to see someone who understands that Kits are not the way to go.

2 Options: use valeos that take d2s bulbs, or H7 Valeos with d2s bulbs + d2s to h7 adapters. Its been done with tyc lights... check the forums at hidplanet.com for pics. Its not a perfect direct swap. from 1 to 10 difficulty, it would be a 6 :eek:

All ballasts are the same (well performace wise) for any option here. any oem D2* ballasts should be fine: Philips, Hella, Matsushita, Denso, Bosch, etc...
Kit or retrofit, you should still use a relayed harness. the stock wiring may not be sufficient enough to withstand the startup load generated by the ballasts. 40 bucks for a harness will be cheaper than replacing the OEM harness if it ever burns out.

You dont... you would need rebased H1 bulbs.

Its not the best option, but its better than sticking a kit into the stock reflector.

you can do that too. the oem fogs are nice.

~175 for tyc lamps
~125 to 250 for projectors 9depending on make)
~250-300 for bulbs and ballasts
~40 for harness
installation varies :eek:

Hid Retrofit > TYCs with Valeos > TYCs with Hid Kit > Stock with kit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
sl33pyriceboi said:
well, one thing for sure, tycs are not a direct swap of valeos...

only some tyc modeles out there are swapable...but we'll see how imma do this....

btw steve, can you giv me the dimentions of teh TSX projector??? i kno its fatter than most projectors so thats y i ask...

i [think] i found a link on hidplanet[that tells the dimentions] ALONG time ago, but i cant seem to find it anymore...
Diameter = 71.05mm
Height = 85.30mm
Width = 120.80mm
Length = 156.45mm
Length(seat of the lens to mounting holes) = 42.00mm
Length(mounting holes to end of bulb) = 96.95mm
Width(between top mounting holes) = 100.45mm
Width(between bottom mounting holes) = 103.45mm
Height(between mounting holes) = 41.50mm

tsx will be a tight squeeze
you dont have much room to work with

1 - 20 of 28 Posts