Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone's ever tried - or seen anyone - putting a nice, functional hood scoop on our cars? I've been toying with ideas on how to make the intake a little more efficient, and one idea I've come up with involves moving a majority of the air intake to the outside of the car (rather than, say, the fender well or behind the headlights). But I'm not quite sure how a 6th gen would look with a hood scoop?

Anyone had any experience with it? Is there such thing as a sleek, functional hoodscoop that compliments - not clashes with - our cars' design? Any Pshoppers wanna' take a crack at this? ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hehe...I can def. see that being a problem. I'm not out for rice. I'm out for functionality. I know it's dangerous to think, but I'm at work, I haven't gotten a phone call in 4 hours, and I'm bored. So I'm brainstorming, but reviewing it..I think I need to consider things more fundamental than the scoop.

Hrmmm...

I might have more questions, but I'm sure I'll post them in a different thread, as I think they're going to be deeper than just hood scoops.

Although, I am still curious if anyone's ever found a tactfully done scoop?

·
(つ◕‿◕)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.•
3,498 Posts

not my car, car belongs to RedBaron

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
sucks...i didn't get to see his car when he helped me install my teins. he got rear ended 2 days after he got the kit done.

i think the only way you could make a hood scoop on our cars functional is to fabricate some sort of nozzle that fit over it on the underside of the hood...and piped it to your IM. then again you'd need a filter and all that jazz so you wouldn't catch rocks and bugs in the motor.

i really only like them on the WRX though...with the top mount intercooler :drool: STi biatch!

·
v not some model, my girl
5,806 Posts
get a CF invader hood.... its a start.

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
spdwg0n said:
Just curious if anyone's ever tried - or seen anyone - putting a nice, functional hood scoop on our cars? I've been toying with ideas on how to make the intake a little more efficient, and one idea I've come up with involves moving a majority of the air intake to the outside of the car (rather than, say, the fender well or behind the headlights). But I'm not quite sure how a 6th gen would look with a hood scoop?

Anyone had any experience with it? Is there such thing as a sleek, functional hoodscoop that compliments - not clashes with - our cars' design? Any Pshoppers wanna' take a crack at this? ;)
In theory, it is possible but you are toying with the fact that water might get into the engine and you get waterlock because of it. If I put that chance into the equation, I think this idea is worthless! :eek:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i can only see a hood scoop being something beneficial if youre carbureted, have a tmic, or have individual throttle bodies. otherwise, its dumb as hell.

·
Registered
372 Posts
instead of a hood scoop make a custom piping from your lower hole in the bumper to route air up to the intake. I am going to do something like this when I install the AEM short ram. I dont like the cold-air intakes because of water issues, thats why i am going to do custom piping.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
i think weapon R has an attachment to their Dragon intake for that. it's just flex piping with a rectangular opening @ the end. it mounts to your lower grille...or pretty much anywhere you want to. i was trying to figure out how to do something like that with my stock intake...like start the piping from where the lower resonator box used to be...and pull air from the lower grille. not too concerned with it right now.

·
im obsessed with intakes.
752 Posts
wow alot of pll put down ideas without even thinking them through..... a FUNCTIONAL HOOD SCOOP JUST FOR THE INTAKE.... is a good idea.... and u really wouldnt have a water problem if u have a Comptech-ice-box setup of that sort, with a box, and cone filter inside. im workin on a custom CF setup rite now...... BTW u can spray water into ur engine and ulll be fine.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
My hood is functional, and I guess if its something you really want to do, you can fabricate a custom air dock behind the scoop and then pipe it down to your throttle body. I really enjoy the fact that my hood vents out the heat especially when sittiing in Texas heat waves bumper to bumper in traffic. The way I see it, if its possible then give it a shot, but keep in mind there may or may not be alot of benefit behind it. GL

·
Boosted!
7,368 Posts
Hites said:
i can only see a hood scoop being something beneficial if youre carbureted, have a tmic, or have individual throttle bodies. otherwise, its dumb as hell.

Exactly like 50s 60s 70s muscle cars

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
02prodigy said:
wow alot of pll put down ideas without even thinking them through..... a FUNCTIONAL HOOD SCOOP JUST FOR THE INTAKE.... is a good idea.... and u really wouldnt have a water problem if u have a Comptech-ice-box setup of that sort, with a box, and cone filter inside. im workin on a custom CF setup rite now...... BTW u can spray water into ur engine and ulll be fine.....
how big of a power difference do you expect to gain from a scooped hood and custom intake setup compared to a $50 ebay intake? better be a significant amount to justify the price, time, and effort. btw, id rather not spray water into my engine. i dont think the saying "what doesnt kill me, makes me stronger" applies to this situation.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
02prodigy said:

i don't think that's why people were putting it down. there are different ways to route the air. obviously you would route it through the box. some people would go directly to the throttle body and find a way to enclose a filter. it's all personal preference. but yea i think everyone here knows enough to not just throw on a pipe that'll suck rocks/bugs/water straight into the throttle body. a little bit of water is fine....this is proven with the sea foaming...that's sucking water into your IM. a lot of water...like having a hood scoop while driving down the highway behind a semi in the rain....is not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts