Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 06 stang and i'm about to upgrade the audio. I'm thinking about going with the focal ployglass coaxials and some diamond audio subs. Are these good brands? I mean as far as SQ and SQL go? I don't know what amps i'm going to use yet, but i'm just starting to piece this thing together. And are boston audio a good choice when going with coaxials? what about amps?

·
what's cracking?
357 Posts
^^ JL the best :rolleyes:. good stuff but very overpriced.

anyways should be fine. the model number should be important as well as some brands have good things and some other things aren't. but those are reputable companies so it should be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my last system had jl and mb quart, so i decided to switch it up and go with something else.

·
SHARINGAN!
1,065 Posts
i think you meant to say SQ and SPL and i used to have a set of diamond audio cm3s and they were considered the low end subs, but they were very clean and they thumped..i actually would prefer those subs again over my current setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
c-bo jones said:
I recently got a 06 stang and i'm about to upgrade the audio. I'm thinking about going with the focal ployglass coaxials and some diamond audio subs. Are these good brands? I mean as far as SQ and SQL go? I don't know what amps i'm going to use yet, but i'm just starting to piece this thing together. And are boston audio a good choice when going with coaxials? what about amps?
I've been using Diamond Audio M5 subs for several years now. Very tight, controlled bass. At that time Diamond was designing their subs for sealed enclosures, and I assume that is still the case. Bear in mind that as a general rule vented enclosures yield more output with the same power than a sealed enclosure. They aren't necessarily right for the wildly flapping sub crowd.

I've heard good things about Focal. As for JL, I used JL XR speakers for a few years. As with any blanket statement, it's subjective. When outfitting my AV6 I actually preferred the Alpine Type X speakers, which I feel are some of the best speakers in their class (in the end I got cheap and went with Infinity Reference as a fill in, which are fine speakers in their class). Do some side by side listening and let your ears be your guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Focal Is an outstanding brand as well as Diamond. I'm not sure about Boston Audio though, but I'm going to assume your maybe referring to Boston Acoustics which is also a good choice. But if your going to use Focals for your front staging and imaging, You should stick to Focals for the rear fill. I also noticed your an SQ enthusiast, along with your amplifier choice, you should also consider signal processing (check out Audio Control's site). Last but not least always remember these three areas for SQL, ambience, soundstage, and imaging. Good Luck.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Focal and Boston Acoustics are top end brands especially Focal just look at the prices. JL audio is good but not on the same level as Focal. Boston Acoustics is on par with JL except for components where Boston outshines JL. I have a set of Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 3-ways which I refuse to sell.In there place is a set of Focal K2 Power 3-ways which are probably one of the best on the market. The most critical thing about car audio is everyone has a best, but you have to remain open-minded in decision makink as far as brands. My discovery is that some of the highest quality pieces come from small hole in the wall companies as Phoenixgold,Resonant Engineering,Digital Design,Critical,Zapco,Adire Audio,MMats and so on. The problem with some product is that they start out good and the companies become commercialized and start outsourcing their manufacturing and hurt quality control to increase profits and sales by using cheap labor. Rockford is a big example of this, The Rockford today is not the Rockford of the 80's where they really had something to prove. Unfortunately I had to stop dealing with JL Audio for this same reason,although my experiences may differ from yours the choice is what makes your ears and wallet happy. Good Luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay so far i'm going with boston acoustics components either the sx50 or sl80, the kicker 8" midrange for the door subs and the diamond audio sub. They're going into a 06 stang that came with the shaker system. here's where i run into problems.

- what type of amps should i run? what are some good brands?
- is kicker a good midrange speaker? I'm using them for the ease of installation.
- and are kicker subs any good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your first question: Your amp choice is really up to you, but consider budget as well as what you are trying to achieve "SQ". Todays amp are a give and take, for example amps with copius amounts of power "SPL" fall short of SQ quality on the general level, it's rare that you can find an amp that can produce a balance of power and SQ, and if you do, it'll nuke the crap out of your wallet. Amps such as Audison,TRU,Genesis,Hafler, McIntosh and Milbert just to name a few, don't produce alot of power, but make up for this by their excellence in SQ. So really it's up to what your criteria in your system design calls for. Last but not least a single 4 ch. and a decent mono block should suffice (Option for the 4 ch., a 5 ch., the fifth channel, usually a sub output, can be used to dial in your 8's since your diving into the realm of a three way setup up front).

Question two: Kicker is good brand but as far as midrange production I wouldn't reccomend it, I'd stick with Boston components to do the job. It's just a matter of dialing in the crossover on whatever amp you choose.

Question three: If your going with Bostons to reproduce your upper frequency, then it would only make sense to go with Boston subs. Besides they make an excellent line for SQ.

If you like I can design a system schematic, for you that can be the foundation for your goal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wht/accord99v6 ,your so right, back in the days when car audio was up and coming, the companies you mentioned were awesome,but now they've seem to have fallen on the wayside as far as durability and dependabilty. Today it seems to be more hype. I remember Phoenix Gold's MPH, ZX, and M series lines they were killer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason i'm going with the kickers is for the fact that they will fit in the 8" woofer spot in the door without having to do a lot of custom work. the boston acoustics would go above them. but if you could help design a system that would be great. the car is a 06 mustang with the shaker 500 system in it.

·
what's cracking?
357 Posts
i don't think you need to go that far with such high end amps as sifnoni, brax, audison, tru, McIntosh, etc... There are still some solid companies out there who make solid amps for a reasonably amount of cash such as : USAmps, Arc Audio, Zapco, and DLS. these 4 companies have their high end stuff but a company such as USAmps have budget lines and would be a good investment.

·
Registered
796 Posts
djackaell said:
Your first question: Your amp choice is really up to you, but consider budget as well as what you are trying to achieve "SQ". Todays amp are a give and take, for example amps with copius amounts of power "SPL" fall short of SQ quality on the general level, it's rare that you can find an amp that can produce a balance of power and SQ, and if you do, it'll nuke the crap out of your wallet. Amps such as Audison,TRU,Genesis,Hafler, McIntosh and Milbert just to name a few, don't produce alot of power, but make up for this by their excellence in SQ. So really it's up to what your criteria in your system design calls for. Last but not least a single 4 ch. and a decent mono block should suffice (Option for the 4 ch., a 5 ch., the fifth channel, usually a sub output, can be used to dial in your 8's since your diving into the realm of a three way setup up front).

Question two: Kicker is good brand but as far as midrange production I wouldn't reccomend it, I'd stick with Boston components to do the job. It's just a matter of dialing in the crossover on whatever amp you choose.

Question three: If your going with Bostons to reproduce your upper frequency, then it would only make sense to go with Boston subs. Besides they make an excellent line for SQ.

If you like I can design a system schematic, for you that can be the foundation for your goal.
I see you know your stuff because Audison and Milbert are state of the art amplifiers and among the best on the market. I personally run Pheonixgold Titanium series amps which are out of production but still are always in the custom mags. I bougt Zapco C2K series amps 9.0, 6.0, 4.0 to change out the pheonixgolds. Audison will be going into the wifes car soon.

·
Registered
796 Posts
djackaell said:
wht/accord99v6 ,your so right, back in the days when car audio was up and coming, the companies you mentioned were awesome,but now they've seem to have fallen on the wayside as far as durability and dependabilty. Today it seems to be more hype. I remember Phoenix Gold's MPH, ZX, and M series lines they were killer.
Yeah tell me about it, remember Sony with CDX-90 ES that is one of the best radios ever made even by todays standards. The new radios made by Sony are pure garbage compared to how their ES line of radios were.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts